990 clutch housing cover

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Mossop

990 clutch housing cover

Post by Mossop » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:13 pm

Hi looking for some advice again , currently started work to split selectamatic 990 to change clutch as very hard to get pto engaged, I've taken off starter and taken out bolts for top clutch cover , I took out the three bolts I can see to remove the wedge from between cover and steering box , and although slack can't get wedge out , is there a knack to it or is there a fourth bolt somewhere else that I'm not seeing , the parts book only lists three bolts but by the looks of it the wedge has four holes. Whilst I'm here would anyone have or know someone who would have a top link with the clutch safety cable on it many thanks

db2d

Re: 990 clutch housing cover

Post by db2d » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:31 pm

There are two methods for accessing the clutch assembly.
One is by removing PTO unit, steering box and gearbox covers and clutch cover housing. There are four bolts going through the wedge.This method involves more time.
The second and easiest method is to splitting the tractor. The clutch cover housing and wedge etc does not have to be removed.
If you have a workshop manual both methods should be explained
You are correct in thinking that the transmission plate is worn ( probably almost down to the rivets )
The three adjustment screws in the cover assembly can be re-adjusted to obtain PTO plate clearance but bear in mind that the transmission plate will now continue to wear down through the rivets until it destructs causing severe damage in most cases to the separator and pressure plates ( expensive)
Is the tractor a Selectamatic or Implematic?

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:53 am

Please be avare of the following. You must split the tractor if the tractor is a Selectamatic with a 12-speed synchronized gear box. What are you refering to when you wrote: a top link with the clutch safety cable on it. Do you mean the top link and cable for the owerload release? If so, then I would recommend not to use this system as it can be potentially dangerous. Operating the lever from behind the tractor can result in that the tractor runs over the operator. It is most important that you tell us if your tractor is a Implematic or a Selectamatic and if the tractor has a 6-speed or a 12-speed gear box, with or without syncronisation (with syncro only in Selectamatic) before we continue with this discussion.

Mossop

Post by Mossop » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:45 am

Hi , sorry for the late replies , the tractor is a six speed selectamatic , I have managed to split it , the selector plate was seized in but also both clutch plates at a almost down to rivers , I suppose the plate was seized as it has little use , is there any tips on how to keep it free , I have given it a good wire brush prior to it being refitted, is the selector plate flush on both sides as there is a groove on the pto side but it looks like a machined edge on it or maybe it has been historic damages , person I bought it from continued to try and work the pto even though it was very difficult to engage , as for the top link yes I was meaning the one with the cable to disengage clutch , just trying to keep it original

db2d

Post by db2d » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:23 am

The damage on the separator plate is probably historic. Clean it and the flywheel well prior to refitting, do not lubricate.
There are three springs located in the flywheel to push the separator plate away from the PTO plate, I suggest renewing these.
Check the condition of the carden shaft bearing in the flywheel and also the rear engine crank oil seal.
Do you have a workshop manual that explains the procedures required ?
The Selectamatic does not have a clutch release mechanism on the top link.

Mossop

Post by Mossop » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:29 pm

Hi yeah have workshop manual , bearing condition ok , tractor definitely has the clutch release , has the handle at the side when you knock it cuts the drive by engaging clutch pedal

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:58 pm

The clutch release was a optional extra, not a standard equipment, for Implematic and early 880 and 990 Selectamatic tractors and only a few Selectamatic tractors were orderd from the manufacturer with this equipment fitted. This feature can be potentionally dangerous and was therfor discontinued at an early stage after the Selectamatic tractor production started. It was not possible to homologate tractors with this feature after early 1960:s in the country I live, but it was legal in some other countries, but not for long. As I said before, for your own safety, remove the system. This is important, as the systerm can be used against the manufactureres instructions, and some people do.