DB 990A Implematic Hydraulics Not Working

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

LoneWolfMuskoka

Re: DB 990A Implematic Hydraulics Not Working

Post by LoneWolfMuskoka » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:09 am

Thanks for the tips! I may wait until Sunday since we are supposed to get a day of above freezing temps which might make it easier.

I did look at the shifters and the rubber gaiter (I would have called it a boot) for the hi/low shifter was not in its proper place. It looks like it's intact so I put it back where it should be for now. Should I use some kind of adhesive to keep them in place?

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:00 am

Yes, we call them rubber boots here too but when playing with these toys and you read the workshop manauals on them I have to read parts of them a couple of times to decypher what is being said. It does give me a grin as to other terminology.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:35 am

Rubber boot, gaiter, dirt excluder. All expressions are correct and are used in David Brown parts catalogues for different tractor models. Different expressions are often used in different parts of the word. People that often have been in contact with people from around the globe do not find it difficult to understand different expressions.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:58 pm

It sounds most likely that you have a lot of water in the transmission oil and this has now frosen solid as the temperature is below frezing point. If this is the case then the only way to fix the problem is to have the tractor inside for as long as it takes to melt the ice in the transmission and the hydraulic system. Then you will have to remove the watery oil and the suction screen. The next step is to clean the suction screen and flush the transmission case in order to get all watery oil out and fill the transmission with clean oil.

LoneWolfMuskoka

Post by LoneWolfMuskoka » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:00 am

Yesterday I was able to warm up the tractor in a carport/tent with the temps just above freezing. I was able to get the drain plug and plate off to let all the fluid out. It was quite messy and sludgy after all. I guess the good stuff rises to the top for the dipstick to look at 8=)

I'm having trouble getting the filter screen out though. The screw is in pretty tight and when I try to turn it, the entire filter turns with it. I'm worried that I'm going to either strip the screw or damage the screen in there. Is there a trick I'm missing here?

The temperature will begin to drop again tomorrow so I'll be back in the freezing temps, but at least I've got the water out as far as I can tell.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 am

The screrw (ref 5) you are talking about keeps the magnet (ref 2) in place. There is a O-ring (ref 6) that keeps the screen in place in the suction pipe (ref 7) and you remove the screen by pulling it down. Please see the following link https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 2ar1069704

philedge

Post by philedge » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:02 am

I dont know the specifics of an implematic but if its anything like a selectamatic there will be slugs of contaminated oil throughout the hydraulic system. If you put fresh oil in it will get contaminated. Usual advice for a selectamatic is to flush by refilling the gearbox with diesel, driving gently over uneven ground for 15 mins to swill the diesel round then drain the diesel and refill with oil. Theres 2 drain plugs on the selectamatic so dont forget to drain them both if your implematic has 2

To get as much old oil out as possible drain with the 3 point and any loader lowered to get as much old oil back to the gearbox as possible. When I flushed mine I disconnected the return line from the loader and worked the loader until the return oil was clean.

Hopefully that process is applicable to an implematic as it is to a selectamatic, but Im sure someone will advise if its not.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:21 am

Not a job I would fancy outside in the snow - It's bad enough in a workshop :) There is another drain plug about 6" behind the Screen Cover in the back axle.
You don't say the age of the tractor but the earlier Implematics have a rectangular filter later ones are circular as per the link supplied. Both filters just pull out, check the O Ring and if thats gone hard you may fail to get a seal on reinstatement - It's best to replace as it's a pain to have to drain all the new oil back out again. Also they say it's not necessary to replace the gasket as there is no pressure there but I found with the rectangular ones that the filter can twist on reinstatement and get trapped between gearbox and filter cover resulting in a slow drip when you bolt it back up. Again you need to drain all the new oil and cut a new gasket to cure it. When you fill it back up with oil only put a couple of pints in and check for drips - It's much easier taking two pints out than a whole drum full. Andy

LoneWolfMuskoka

Post by LoneWolfMuskoka » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks for the tips! Good to know that I don't have to remove that screw.

I'd heard about the diesel thing before but I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. It kind of makes sense though. I suppose I can just put some in without building a gasket since it will only be in there temporarily.

I do have the round filter and cover. I didn't notice the 2nd drain plug in the axle so I'll have to go back and double check.

I'm not sure if it will be better working out there today now that the temperature has dropped, but at least I'll stay relatively dry 8=)

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:30 pm

You can not get the dirt out if the hydraulic system is contaminated with frozen water. You must take the tractor into a warm building.

Gard

Post by Gard » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:05 am

My suggestion is to mess around with it some now if you want to but plan on draining the oil and flushing with diesel in the heat of next summer. What I did was drain the oil into a large container, let it sit for hours or days then decant off the top 4 gal, then I put the bottom gal in a glass container and let it settle again. In my case there was an impressive amount of crap in the bottom of the glass jar. I took the top 4 gal of diesel and put it back in the tractor then filled it the rest of the way with clean diesel. When I repeated this process there was some but way less crap in the glass. After a few months of using the tractor with the correct oil I drained it and let it settle and still find some crap in the bottom but its getting better each time.
My experience is it took at least several days of warm weather for the tons of cast iron to warm up enough to thaw everything. I sure do wish I had a heated shop.

LoneWolfMuskoka

Post by LoneWolfMuskoka » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:58 pm

It took a while, but the fluid change is done. Next time I won't wait until the snow is flying to do it! There was a fair amount of water in the system but having a propane heater running on the back end for a couple hours got most of it and a diesel flush took care of the rest. The hydraulics are once again functional!

I learned a lot about the machine in the process and will be keeping it in out of the rain and snow as much as I can from now on. I found a few things that need some TLC along the way (some nuts and belleville washers that I need to order).

One thing that I'm a bit curious about though - inside the control lever panel, there is an Operating Lever attached to the Control Handle. This pushes on the Floating Pivot which adjusts the valves controlling the hold level. The Operating Lever spins on the shaft when I go from Hold to Lower. When I put it in Raise, the cover rotates the Lever back. I'm not sure why this would be happening. It seems that lowering the implement will knock the Hold out of alignment doing this. Then raising the control all the way resets it.

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Briefly—The mechanism inside the housing only comes into play when the sensing cable is attached to the top link or the height control attachment. This mechanism is for the operation of draught control and TCU etc.
For auxiliary hydraulic operation the main control lever connects with a small pushrod that gives lift, hold and drop operation.
The control lever has friction discs to maintain the position selected by the operator. If the control lever does not stay in the position selected the friction discs are either worn or need adjusting or the mills pin locating the lever inside the control box has sheared

1952CROPMASTER

Post by 1952CROPMASTER » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:24 am

Now that you have taken some of the water out off the Transmission, visit your local Hardware store & pick/up a "L" off Metheal Hydrate and dump about 50% off it into the Transmission, it will help to dissolve some of the remaining water & keep it Freezing, it wont hurt anything.
I know that it gets very very cold in Muskoka

LoneWolfMuskoka

Post by LoneWolfMuskoka » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:42 am

It looks like there is something called a "mills pin" that is missing. I'm also missing a belleville washer to keep things properly tensioned for the friction washers. So I'll be picking those up as soon as I can. But the machine is working and I'm happy!

I did put some SeaFoam conditioner in the fluid that is to help hydraulic systems with keeping water at bay somewhat. I'll look into the methyl hydrate as well.

Thanks everyone!