Top Link Arm lock nut

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Top Link Arm lock nut

Post by cobbadog » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:51 am

On our 30C when driving along with the carry-all on sometimes the turnbuckle unwinds and drops the carry-all to the ground. Yes it is an easy fix to screw it back together but I feel it should not happen so I made a lock nut similar in style to the turnbuckle set up so that it looks similar. I started with a piece of solid bar and machined the surfaces then centre drilled the bar and kept drilling it out until I could get the boring bar in to bring it out to spec for tapping. I was going to use the lathe to make the thread but my tooling was not suitable to do so. I then marked out the position of the 3 short arms and drilled them and made some rod to use as handles to fit into the hole and then welded them in place. I noticed at the Clarendon Classic rally another 30C that had what looked like wire or maybe spring clips around both ends of the turnbuckle set up and there was slots in it and a pin going through. Looked tricky to make so I went this way.
Attachments
20190928_085613.jpg
20190928_085613.jpg (161.65 KiB) Viewed 429 times

cobbadog

Re: Top Link Arm lock nut

Post by cobbadog » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:52 am

All painted and refitted. Had to bend the 3 handles a bit to ensure they clear the PTO housing other than that it works a treat.
Attachments
20190929_100049.jpg
20190929_100049.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 395 times

Gard

Post by Gard » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:36 pm

Nice job I was thinking of doing something similar, One question, if you could not cut the threads on the lathe did you find a tap to use? I looked briefly and it seemed my top link had a non standard thread so not a common tap.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:16 am

Hi Gard,
My linkage was 1 1/4" BSF and I was lucky enough to find a NOS tap for AU$25.00 which was cheap. My boring bar could not cut a thread deep enough with one bar as it was not a big enough bore to fit it in and the other the tip was on an angle so would not cut the thread at the correct 55' pitch. If I could not find a tap at a reasonable price I would have went to an engineering shop and get them to thread it for me.

Best thing you can do to identify the thread is to buy a thread gauge and download a thread chart. Armed with that info you can identify almost any common thread used around the world from Metric, BSW, BSF and of course the imperial threads that use 60' pitch.
Its not until you start looking into things that you start to learn even more about topics. The tie rod ends on the 30C are a unique thread count and pitch and are almost unidentifiable. Then in the US in the early days Companies made their own thread counts and pitch and would not work with others. Thankfully those days are almost gone and there are a few common threads and can be identified.