DB Brakes

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

goDB1212

DB Brakes

Post by goDB1212 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi All
I need to replace the brakes in my 1212. they are the old mechanical type. How much does the final drive weigh? . How did you safely remove yours? did you make up a trolley jack or somthing? pictures would be great to see.
Also one final question. the PTO clutch does not disengage when I push back the hand lever because I cannot engage PTO lever. I think the clutch plates are stuck together from years of no use so how could I split them without splitting tractor?
Thanks.

ollek

Re: DB Brakes

Post by ollek » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:04 am

You will need a hoist or a trolley jack for removing the final drive. The unite is very heavy. And the pto problem. You wrote "disengage when I push back the hand lever because I cannot engage PTO lever". What do you mean, is the pto selector lever stuck or will moving the lever result in a gear clash? Can you select the pto speed if you turn the engine off?
Last edited by ollek on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

db2d

Post by db2d » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:45 am

Before removing the right hand reduction unit firmly secure the diff lock pedal in the engaged position.

goDB1212

Post by goDB1212 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks for your replies. if I try to engage PTO lever it ginds against internal gears so the PTO gears are still turning. I can engage if tractor is switched off. Thanks.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:03 pm

There is a possibility that you can free the pto clutch disc if it is stuck to the flywheel or the pressure plate. Connect a large pto driven implement to the tractor, a rotavator is a good example. Put the pto in gear, start the tractor and lift the implement out of the ground. Now push the pto clutch lever fully back. Be careful, the implement will start to rotate when you start the tractor. Then take the tractor and the rotavator out to the field, increase the engine revs and lower the implement into the ground. The clutch plate will release if you are lucky. I would however try to adjust the pto clutch cable before doing the above mentioned.

Gard

Post by Gard » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:56 am

To remove the final drive, I purchased a trolley jack called a motorcycle or ATV jack, it has a flat platform about a foot square. Then I made a wood box that set on the trolley and fit the bottom of the final drive. Worked well for me. To do the other side I reassembled the box in mirror image. Not sure how much it weighs but I guess several hundred pounds, not a bad idea to have a helper.
Attachments
P9030141 (Small).JPG
P9030141 (Small).JPG (114.52 KiB) Viewed 490 times

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:52 am

Nice trolley set up. When I did mine I replaced all the seals and even went as far as using a product called a speedi-sleeve on the axle surface where the seal runs to ensure a goof seal and no oil leaks. When done and after adjusting I road tested the tractor and the new linings work a treat. Even when driving down the ramps of our truck I can easily stop the tractor with very little effort.

goDB1212

Post by goDB1212 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:38 pm

do you drain the oil from the gear box?

goDB1212

Post by goDB1212 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:40 pm

The trolley jack is a good idea.

Gard

Post by Gard » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:12 pm

If I remember correctly there was some transmission oil that came out but not a lot. More if you replace the shaft oil seals. I installed all new seals in the final drive, all were leaking, so I drained it and partially disassembled it before taking it off the tractor.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:04 pm

It is a good idea to change the two shaft seals (ref 11) in the rear axle when the wheel reduction is removed. Please see the following link https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 1ar1305628

goDB1212

Post by goDB1212 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:01 am

perfect thanks.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 am

When I did mine part number 10 was a metal retainer for the axle seal. It was suggested to me to not replace item #10 but to install 2 new seals which I did. I also fitted speedi-sleeves onto the axle surface where the new seals would run to ensure a nice smooth surface for the new seals to run on.
Relining the brake shoes is a straight forward job and now they are all back in place I find that they work so well, even when backing down the ramps of our Lorry I can easily stop the tractor with relatively easy foot pressure.
Make sure that the holes in the bottom of the brake drum housing are clear. Mine were blocked with years of dirt and oil. This is something that is worth keeping an eye on in the future and watch for any possible leaks in that area and fix it before it damages the linings.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:25 pm

The parts catalogue states that part with reference number 10 number is a housing for the seals. Old models as the one Cobbadog owns, had only one seal per side in the rear axle. All Selectamatic models (that includes the 1212) had two seals per side in the rear axle from the factory. It is not a good idea to compare Selectamatic tractors with Implematic or even older models. In doing so, it will create unnecessary uncertainty, when the tractor being repaired do not match with the information's given. The space between the two seals has to be filled with grease during assembly.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:42 am

sorry fella.