Cylinder head nuts

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Nick

Cylinder head nuts

Post by Nick » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:13 pm

Need some help please I am rebuilding my 995, but I seem to have lost one of the cylinder head nuts, it's one of the normal size ones I think, does anyone know the size of it and where I can get a replacement from.
Please help.
Arnie

Berk

Re: Cylinder head nuts

Post by Berk » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:12 pm

I imagine This will probably tell you what you need

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks for that, I can see the part but it won't let me buy them , are there any dealers in The U.K. Web site says not.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 am

I don't suppose you have any spares Berk, as you are just down the road from me. Thanks for the info I am going to try a few places in town now I know the size.
Really hoping I can get one dying to get it started after having the head work done. :D

Berk

Post by Berk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:32 am

I know a bloke. Will PM you his info.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:17 am

Berk, you wrote "are there any dealers in The U.K. Web site says not". Please ask your local Case IH dealer. Google "case ih dealers uk" You will have to know that the electronic parts catalogue is operated by case IH in the USA. Please, do not use any standard nuts for this application. The nuts are "special" as said in the parts catalogue.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:12 pm

I do not doubt your comment on the nuts ollek but just out of curiosity what makes them so special that a standard nut won't work.
The question is only about trying to learn not criticise.

Berk

Post by Berk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:54 pm

ollek wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:17 am
Berk, you wrote "are there any dealers in The U.K. Web site says not".
No I didn't. Other fella did.

Passed him information for a local DB breaker, who I know has all the appropriate parts, and contacts for new parts if needed.

philedge

Post by philedge » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:57 pm

Nick. If you look onEbay theres a guy in carmarthen selling a head off a busted engine. Fair chance hes got some head bolts he'll part with??
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks everyone for your help with this I have found a bearing supplier in Aberystwyth that holds almost every nut and bolt you can think of, I bought two nuts 1/2 uni in stock and now fitted to my tractor, just need to set valve clearances and fill fluids up, when it stops raining.
Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.

Berk

Post by Berk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:08 pm

Nick wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:20 pm
when it stops raining.
June then, by the looks of it here. :D

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:38 am

At the risk of sounding as if I am nagging, could ollek explain about what makes the D.B. head nuts sspecial as opposed to something available over the counter.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:48 am

Well, the manufacturer found out that standard nut wouldn't do the job, so they fitted specially made one for the purpose. This is all that you have to know. If Cobbadog want to fit standard nuts, he has the right do so, but there is most likely problems around the corner in doing so.

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:54 am

To add to OLLEK,s comment- as I understand it the problem with a "standard" nut is the thread profile. With this design excess loading is taken by the single thread nearest the loading.Over time the piston pulses may wear the thread with consequent loss of clamping force. Head gasket failure may then occur.
The genuine DB nuts have a different thread profile to ensure the loading from the shank stud is more evenly distributed over all threads.
Years later I believe this thread profile was adopted by an American tractor manufacturer on their hydraulic pumps and given the sales name of "Spiralock"
To conclude, using a " standard" nut will get you going but head gasket failure may ensue further down the road.I would therefore always recommend the genuine article .Hope this helps.AJK.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Thanks for the reply ollek but all I was asking is what was so special about the nuts that a standard one would not work.
At the same time at NO stage did I say I was going to use the nuts nor was I doing a head replacement on a tractor so please dont be so rude in saying that I intended to do so. Then for you to say that is all I need to know is not true and is why I asked the question to learn more. ALLANJ has provided an answer which gives me and others reading this thread the "reason" why it is not recommended to use a standard thread. Thank you ALLANJ.
The reasons for asking questions on Forums is to learn. Your and db2d knowledge on the traqctors is highly commended but hwen we read a comment about you should not use a standard type nut with no explanation we want to know why that is so.