VAT Receipt for parts

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Colin6224#2

VAT Receipt for parts

Post by Colin6224#2 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi
I have a DB 990 for working on the small farm. I recently bought spare parts for the Hydraulic Control lever and brake pawl.
Phone up the supplier, passed over card details and promptly received the parts. Great so far, would happily use this supplier again except!
There was no receipt or Invoice in the package. As the small farm is a taxed business registered for VAT and Tax, I need receipts for the accountat.
The supplier has three times promised that the receipt would arrive, he'd send a copy and forward my problem to accounts.
Still no receipt.
Two questions, is there a sure fire way to get a supplier to send a receipt.
and in the absense of a receipt, what do I present to the accountant. I still have the original emails quoting a price, the packaging with the price of delivery but no VAT number.

I can't be the first to have this problem, the supplier in question is regularily named on the Forum as a good supplier.

Any thoughts.

Colin

db2d

Re: VAT Receipt for parts

Post by db2d » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:18 pm

I have sent you a PM

philedge

Post by philedge » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 pm

If youre buying from a VAT registered business, and I guess the likes of DBparts/Barcley Williams are, then Im pretty sure HMRC say they should be issueing a VAT invoice in a specified format. Maybe a call to accounts to remind them of this will get the result you need.

If you just need a receipt to go through your books as an expence then a copy of the email and a copy of your credit card statement should be plenty good enough for your accountant. If your reclaiming VAT then you really need the VAT receipt
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

Colin6224#2

Post by Colin6224#2 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 am

Happy to say that the supplier has now emailed a copy of the receipt so alls well that ends well.
It did take a little persistance butI guess we all have bad days.

As they would say on Ebay
Product 5 Stars
Deliver 5 Stars
Communication 3 Stars

Colin

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:45 am

I have not done this, but it has been widely debated on another farming forum.
If you have good evidence , such as a quote, name, address and Credit card evidence of payment, it is acceptable to produce your own invoice by sourcing the persons VAT number. There is a C&E website where you can check all traders out.
If you do this, I would put a note on the invoice to show what you have done, in case of a future VAT check.
It is well worth checking internet traders if you have not come across them before, as there are many fraudsters on Ebay and Amazon purporting to be registered when they are not. If the invoice is a dummy then you will have to repay reclaimed VAT.
This is a common thing on electronic goods purporting to be a British or European seller when in fact they are Chinese

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:03 pm

Steve Collet wrote: " it is acceptable to produce your own invoice by sourcing the persons VAT number". Doing so in the country I live, would result in getting sued by the government for tax fraud. There would be no way to avoid a serious sentence.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:45 am

Ollek you are quite right and I should have said such practice, may certainly not be legal in other countries than the UK.
As I said it is only acceptable here where the seller has made plain the fact he is selling for X + VAT
Having paid him the full price under UK law it is the seller committing fraud if he does not forward the Tax,
This is as I have seen it argued, but as I said I have never done this.
The situation often arises where shop receipts are not in themselves a full VAT receipt and claiming a proper VAT receipt after from a high street retailer is not always that easy!

Colin6224#2

Post by Colin6224#2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:45 am

Hi Guys
Thanks for your feedback. I had thought of creating a receipt (I'm in the UK) but as you suggest including a line stating that it was 'Based on Quote and Bank Payment'. I would then have kept the emails and other evidence for an inspection if required.
I don't think I would have claimed the VAT though as the evidence I have doesn't provide the VAT number.

I know what you mean about some shop receipts. If it isn't a trade outlet, they won't give you a VAT receipt unless you specifically ask for it before they start ringing anything through.

Colin

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:05 am

if you create a receipt , you must have the other person's VAT number!
As I said they are available on the web