885 Fuel Line

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

dwighted

885 Fuel Line

Post by dwighted » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:29 pm

Guys,

I've been working on our 885.

Got the tank cleaned out at a very good radiator shop here in Iowa.

Now working my way down to fuel pump and filters.

The reason for all this is that I've let fuel set in the tank too long and have black goo in the lines.

From what I can read it is due to algae.

I've got the line down to the fuel pump off, the pump off and both filters off.

I have new pump, new filters, but where am I going to find a new line from the tank to the pump. The line is a hard plastic, might not be original.

The line just slide off of the tank outlet tube, but the connection to the pump looks like the line was pressed into the threaded nut.

I don't see a way to get the line and nut separated and I don't want to mess up something if I can't get a replacement for or fix it myself.

Also, what will dessolve that black goo?

Dwight Davidson
Last edited by dwighted on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwight E. Davidson
Center Point, IA USA
DB 885 / Case 380 CK
Serial Number: 632101

db2d

Re: 885 Fuel Line

Post by db2d » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Normally a good blow through with high pressure air is sufficient. A cellulose paint thinners type solvent may be beneficial or brake component cleaner.

dwighted

Post by dwighted » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:59 am

DB2D,

Thank you for the info.

I've got the nut to the fuel pump all cleaned up. I used some brake cleaner and a wire brush.

I've got some new fuel line that came from a hydraulic hose place.

I've got to find a 5/16 compression sleeve and I'll have that little part back in good shape.

Next is the fuel line from the pump up to the filter input. That line seems to be steel so should be easy enough to get clean.

Dwight
Dwight E. Davidson
Center Point, IA USA
DB 885 / Case 380 CK

db2d

Post by db2d » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:02 am

The compression sleeves are called ‘olives’and are readily available.

dwighted

Post by dwighted » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:01 pm

DB2D,

Got new "olives" today at the home store in the plumbing section.

The sediment bowl is all cleaned up. It is the short bowl and the pumps we get here in the states has the long bowl, but no big deal, R & R.

Again thanks for all the help.

Dwight
Dwight E. Davidson
Center Point, IA USA
DB 885 / Case 380 CK

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 am

The sediment you have got is virtually certainly not algae but rust coming from either your storage tank or the tractor tank.
Make sure your storage tank has a slope from front to back. There should be tap there, or plug to drain off water and sediment.
You will always get water in your storage tank from condensation and this causes rusting in steel tanks
you may also get gunge coming from waxing of summer fuel which has got too cold in winter time.
Waxes are added to fuel since they are lubricious and cheaper but need to be kept above 5 degree C or they will cloud and block filters.
Fuel tanks are always best kept inside a warm building to prevent condensation and waxing. Once fuel has got cloudy it may need heating to to clear it.
it was common in the UK to add up to 10% kerosene to fuel in winter time to prevent this waxing from occurring, once waxed though it will do little to help .
Some people say you should not add kerosene to fuel which goes in common rail engines , but theat is not an issue here and we always ran our tractors in winter time with it added

dwighted

Post by dwighted » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:04 am

Steve,

Thank you very much.

Since I started working on the fuel system, I've done some reading online. I'm sure it is wax now, I've tried several different solvents and nothing will cut the brown goo. The inside of the tank was indeed rusty and cleaned by a very good radiator guy. I don't have a storage tank, just a 5 gallon plastic jug. I'm sure what little fuel was in the tank separated last winter, we had one morning with -28 F and the next morning was -33 F and the tractor stays out in a building, but no heat. I've found my 200 watt magnetic heater that I will put on the tank to keep the fuel warm. Also I'll get the tank full and put in some winter treatment. I live close to a truck stop so I will ask them when they get their winter mix in their tanks. I know I don't want to clean the brown goo up again, what a sticky mess.
Dwight E. Davidson
Center Point, IA USA
DB 885 / Case 380 CK

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:14 am

that is cold!
I have no experience of those sort of temperatures, Kerosene will help but I really cannot say if it will take it that low. If you can drain the tank as low as possible before using winter grade. Also do not get it from your truck stop too soon, as there is a fair chance they fill up their tanks before they are empty, so you will have dilute winter fuel till they have filled a second time.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:37 pm

Fuel stations in Finland can have for sale 4 different diesel fuel to suit different ambient temperatures. Summer fuel for temperatures down to -5 centigrade, interim fuel for temperatures down to -15 centigrade, winter fuel for temperatures down to -30 centigrade and arctic fuel for temperature down to -44 centigrade.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:52 am

I believe our summer fuel is rated for +5 and winter only down to -10
it is apparently quite a bit more expensive to formulate those fuels for very cold work

dwighted

Post by dwighted » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Steve

I checked over at the truck stop and the guys at the counter didn't seem to know much about ordering of the fuel.

I'll get some winter treatment from our farm store.

Ollek,

I really hope we don't get to -44 C, -47 F is just a bit much for me.

I was talking to the starter guy about how my starter was coming, and the subject of the black goo came up, he told me to try oven cleaner on the black goo.

It worked, took about five cycle of spray, let it set for about 5 min, then rinse with cold water.

Now when I get the fuel sender unit I will be able to get fuel system all back together.

Dwight
Dwight E. Davidson
Center Point, IA USA
DB 885 / Case 380 CK

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:47 am

A point to bear in mind is that fuel can wax up in the fuel filter, so even with a magnetic tank heater it's possible that the filter can get blocked when it's sat in freezing temperatures. Worth making sure that you've a spare available.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:21 pm

I sook up at )'C never mind the negative temps that ollek speaks of. I would be a big bear and hibernate.

Gard

Post by Gard » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:58 pm

I do like working in the woods when it is around 10 to 20 F, when it gets down much below 0 F (which is -18C) I can usually find something to do inside.
When I brought my injectors in for service the shop owner recommended Stanadyne diesel additive especially for older engines, he said some of the other products on the market are worse than nothing. Since then I add some with each fill up. I suspect everyone has their favorite additive and they do seem to prevent gelling of the fuel. I had some gel up years ago and there was no way to get it running until the weather warmed up some. I have always bought diesel in 5 gal cans, partly so I am always buying it in the season it will be used. I found it is a good idea to use a big funnel that has a fine mesh gauze in the bottom, this seems to trap water and ice but even more important the the dust and crap that seems to settle on the top of the can.
Attachments
KIMG0311 (Small).JPG
KIMG0311 (Small).JPG (103.57 KiB) Viewed 1130 times

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:36 am

Most diesel additives are snake oil. However one that will stop the gelling is certainly worth considering if you are prone to extreme temperatures or you are not sure you have winter fuel in.
Keeping the tractor and the fuel store inside a warm shed avoids most issues