Ready for wet sand blasting

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: Ready for wet sand blasting

Post by cobbadog » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:20 am

Still working o the tinware making it more respectable than it was. Also bee still making adjustments to parts I forgot about doing and one was to fit some operating knobs to the hand throttle and the hydraulics level for the 3 point linkage. So I made some threaded rod and bought a pair of knobs the same as the ones I fitted to my gear levers a long time back. Then welded the rod into place along with a lock nut so these are now ready for top coat paint.
The other job I am working on is the throttle linkage that runs from the hand control to the governor. The one that came with the tractor has a cut and join in it plus an odd shaped bend where it turns to go to the governor. So I am making this when my die decided to end it's own life after around 30 years of service so this has to wait until Monday when I go to ton and get a new one.
Hopefully Tuesday is another round of 'red paint' day.
Attachments
20190720_141153.jpg
20190720_141153.jpg (122.36 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
20190720_141251.jpg
20190720_141251.jpg (183.59 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:23 am

There should be a spring inside the hydraulic quadrant. Round rubber knobs are available for the throttle and hydraulic levers that have been adapted.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi db2d,
There is a spring on the reverse side of the quadrant, is that the one you are referring to?

I was just as happy to fit these ones as they were readily available and match the gear lever knobs I fitted way back. Thanks for the heads up though.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:31 am

Well here are the latest few pics for your enjoyment or annoyment depending on where you sit!

db2d, is the spring you refer to on the quadrant on the inside of it and would sit against the mudguard side?
Attachments
20190731_142449.jpg
20190731_142449.jpg (94.96 KiB) Viewed 944 times
20190731_142420.jpg
20190731_142420.jpg (189.48 KiB) Viewed 944 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:13 am

The rod from the hand control to the governor should have an adjustment connection in the middle.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:17 pm

It does have an adjustment in the middle. It is just in front of the oil filter housing and behind the carby. It is the original left and right hand threaded adjuster with a lock nut.I asked you if the spring you mentioned for the hand control you claimed was missing is on this unit behind it between the mudguard and the inside of the control unit but you have not confirmed this.
I am always open to suggestions but sometimes your criticism is simply not justified, I'm sorry. I have the utmost respect for your knowledge and the input that both you and ollek kindly put into this wonderful Forum and a positive comment sometimes is appreciated.

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:10 pm

db2d wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:23 am
There should be a spring inside the hydraulic quadrant. Round rubber knobs are available for the throttle and hydraulic levers that have been adapted.
You confirmed that there was a spring.

I will not answer any questions or make any observations regarding your tractor in future.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:09 pm

So I am guessing that it is alright for some to make critical comments and once you then discover that you were wrong you do not apologise.
It certainly would have been a far better approach by you to ask the question/s if it had a spring or does it have an adjuster rather than being so very critical of members projects.
I welcome criticism if deserved and I also like to learn about many things so by all means if you have something to say, say it, but at least be a bit courteous about it.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:18 pm

I was asked by private message to post details on the wet sand blaster. I dont have any specifications as to air and water pressures that are used to do the process but the water is pumped into the green hopper which has a mixer inside to keep the grit in solution and is forced through the line under air pressure in its own line and the air in another line.
That is a 1000 litre water tank up front, an Atlas Copco constant flow air compressor (it has no pressure tank) and then the hopper at the back. The hopper is filled to a certain level with water then 80 kilos of grit is added and then mixed to be a solution. Also an additive is added to the water to slow down surface rust. It worked very well on the tinware but no so good on the cast iron
Attachments
20190616_084113.jpg
20190616_084113.jpg (160.29 KiB) Viewed 919 times
20190616_083853.jpg
20190616_083853.jpg (157.23 KiB) Viewed 919 times
20190616_083840.jpg
20190616_083840.jpg (156.83 KiB) Viewed 919 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:47 am

I was not wrong and I have no reason to apologise because I was not criticising you or your tractor. I was just indicating how things should be and what parts are available not only to you but others that use this forum.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:08 am

Your wealth of knowledge is absolutely wonderful and is appreciated.
Your comments "The rod from the hand control to the governor should have an adjustment connection in the middle." and it does have the adjuster so why make the comment?
Then "There should be a spring inside the hydraulic quadrant." and I pointed out that there is a spring in there but I asked myself why would you need to mention that as the view of the quadrant did not show where there was a spring or not.
Both these comments you made were not applicable as the adjuster is shown in the picture and if I was asked if the quadrant had a spring would not have stirred up this conversation.
It sometimes is not the words used in conversation but how they are used and it was my feeling that you were being nothing but critical to my restoration as I am doing it my way and not to being all original. Same as your comment about the starter motor and generator being painted black and I knew originally it was red but this is the way I want my restoration to be done.
Sorry if that offends you it is not intended to.

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:13 am

cobbadog wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:20 am

The other job I am working on is the throttle linkage that runs from the hand control to the governor. The one that came with the tractor has a cut and join in it plus an odd shaped bend where it turns to go to the governor.
I was pointing out that the rod should have an adjustable connection.

Electrical components painted black indicates ‘ Service Exchange ‘

Good Bye.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:10 pm

And as shown in the picture it does have the adjuster. At the age of these tractors now none of them would have an original generator / dynamo or starter motor so most out in the field after around ten years of age they too would have service exchanged electrics.

Gard

Post by Gard » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks for sharing the photos of the sand blaster, it is now clear why it went so quick, that is a serious looking kit.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:42 am

Yes Gard, it was a serious bit of gear and worked so quick on the day.
I did look at attachments that fit to your gernie and do wet sand blasting but they were small and I am not sure of how effective they would be. Having said that I then looked on good ol YouTube and watched some videos of these types of machines. If you are thinking about that idea make sure you price the grit you wish to use. This machine spat out around 160 kg of grit. The guy told me that he buys it in from India, I think by the pallet loads but he would have to as this is his job. Each bag in this case was 20kgs so he went through a bit of the stuff. I bought a bag of the fine grit from him for my sand blasting cabinet for AU$10.00 and he made money on that but if I buy different types of grit like garnet or glass bead I pay 6 times that amount. Hi grit was glass but looked more like sand in shape but the fine was smaller than the average grain of sand and it was definitely crushed glass. I now have a sand pit under our truck which is where I raked all the spoils once done.