Ready for wet sand blasting

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Ready for wet sand blasting

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:45 am

Well I had everything ready for wet sand blasting last weekend but the wet weather put a stop on it. Next attempt is in 2 weeks as there is a long weekend in between now and then.
i also did a clean up on the grille badge. It had both red (normal) and blue (not normal) paint on it and is yet another indicator that the tractor did spend some time in either our Navy or Air Force services. The end result on the badge is very pleasing and is the original chrome.
Attachments
20190603_114948.jpg
20190603_114948.jpg (130.64 KiB) Viewed 672 times
20190601_142632.jpg
20190601_142632.jpg (43.08 KiB) Viewed 672 times
20190601_114319.jpg
20190601_114319.jpg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 672 times

Gard

Re: Ready for wet sand blasting

Post by Gard » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:56 pm

Nice job on stripping everything down, seems like you are doing it up right, I will be interested to see how the wet sandblasting works. Is this an attachment to a pressure washer?

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:41 am

There are many YouTube clips on doing wet sand blasting. It looks like a gurney with an attachment that feeds the sand in it. Working pressure of 3000 psi. I have seen good results and hope for the same here.
This tractor has had the engine fully rebuilt along with a clutch assembly about 4 years back and is only used on tractor treks and at Rallies where it sits most of the day. Brakes and oil leaks that ruined the brakes have been done along with some steering box adjustments some new gauges and head lights fitted a few years back but with stop/tail lights being fitted after painting is done. Side covers will be a new addition for me as it never had any when we bought it.
Occasionally it goes out for a picnic up to the local state forest with a carry all on the back and an Esky full of tucker and at Rallies I have had a few turns at pulling the sled with good results. I was asked how much water I had in the tyres and I said not a drop but I do run low air pressure to get the best grip with the correct amount of 'slippage'.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:37 am

How a simple 'clean it up' job becomes somewhat more involved.
Today was all about cleaning up the radiator with the shroud still attached. All was going well until I thought I will remove the shroud and do a better job of the cleaning. I removed the screw on radiator cap to lift the shroud up and passed it and noticed a filthy mess inside. I always have run anti freeze in the radiator which has stopped me from viewing the cores. So in a way this is good as I will now take it off to be cleaned out properly even though this has never gone near running warm never mind hot.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:47 am

All blasted and now everything is in etch primer except the fuel tank as I am now soldering up some pin holes. The job took 4 hours to blast away all the paint but I found that the anti rust solution works well on sheet metal but certainly not on cast iron parts. They started to get surface rust on them after about 3 hours. I now have some panel beating to do on the guards and a small amount on the top of the bonnet but nothing too drastic. At least it is now moving forward to being completed even though there is a long way to go.
AS for the top coat paint my local supplier is closing and so I asked about in our club and another paint shop 100 klms up the road was the 'go to' guy. I rang him a few weeks back asking if he still had the formula for Hunting Pink and he had a look as he remembered making it for one of our Clubs' founding members but he had not been able to find it again. So the other day I rang him to make sure he could make something up for us and that he had stock of all the bits I wanted and away we went. Got to the shop and the owner was a real gem. He failed to tell me that he contacted his paint supplier who did find the Hunting Pink on their books for Acrylic paint so they then converted that to being 2pac. He even offered to mix a tiny sample up and to my way of thinking it was the right colour only with a high gloss which is what I wanted. So in time I will start putting some colour on the wheels so it can harden up properly so the tyres can be fitted back on and get some of the tricky bits underneath done and get the skid part coated as well. Then it is coating the rest of the bits in an order that I can continue to re-assemble as it dries properly.
Attachments
20190616_103337.jpg
20190616_103337.jpg (158.22 KiB) Viewed 466 times

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:53 am

Oops, wrong pic, that is when it was almost blasted.
This is with the etch primer on. I am pleasantly surprised with this Hi-Chem paint I have been using. So far the primer is bullet proof in good coverage and one time I pulled the trigger on the spray gun by accident and it sprayed a lot of primer on in one place and I thought there is a run for sure and it was on a flat vertical surface but it did not run at all and simply laid flat and smooth.
Attachments
20190618_105218.jpg
20190618_105218.jpg (163.1 KiB) Viewed 466 times

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:33 am

Cleaned up and painted the wheel wells and next will be some colour but we are expecting rain over the next few days so will wait for a break in the weather.
Attachments
20190618_105218.jpg
20190618_105218.jpg (163.1 KiB) Viewed 427 times

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:35 am

wrong pic, try this one.
Attachments
20190621_113430.jpg
20190621_113430.jpg (44.6 KiB) Viewed 427 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:12 am

You’re painting it in a grey contaminated area!!!

Gard

Post by Gard » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:00 pm

Nice progress, Sound like that wet sandblasting worked great, that is a lot of work to get done in 4 hours, I think I spent close to that on 1 fender with disc sanders and grinder. I am going to have to look up some more info on that, do you have a favorite reference source?

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:33 am

That's almost right db2d. We have no spray booth here so have to use what is available. what you see on the ground gets hosed again before painting and now it is dry it has set not like concrete but is solid enough that no breeze or air from the spray gun moves it. I can break it up and hose it into the ground further and that is the plan when spraying the top coat. So although it looks bad it isn't as bad as it looks.
This is why I decided to get it blasted Gard, I have done all the prep work by hand on other projects and the time this has saved me is beyond calculating including not just time but sanding paper and skin off the knuckles. By going this way it puts me ahead of the game. I know this has been a very long term project for me but my business kept interfering with progress, now I have to get it done for our Rusty Iron Rally at Macksville which is on Fathers Day and our home Rally. We are taking Dees' Grey Fergy (HRH Sarah Ferguson) to other Rallies and Show days in the mean time and that one is next for the treatment.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:45 am

Starting to make progress.
This was the main parts I wanted done and let it harden up while I continue to straighten the tinware.
Attachments
20190630_132912.jpg
20190630_132912.jpg (154.52 KiB) Viewed 255 times
20190630_103703.jpg
20190630_103703.jpg (136.9 KiB) Viewed 255 times

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:25 am

David's Face
Attachments
20190701_104858.jpg
20190701_104858.jpg (139.19 KiB) Viewed 234 times

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:47 pm

Properly applied make-up works wonders on any subject.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:19 am

I ended up with some on my hands and it has not done me any favours. :lol:

I must get back into the thinners as we are going away in 2 days and dont want to be seen with red nail paint.