Leak in catch knob/ramshaft cover- 880 Implematic

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

abm52

Leak in catch knob/ramshaft cover- 880 Implematic

Post by abm52 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:05 am

This question relates to a 1963 880 Implematic (SN 215351779) and a leak through the catch knob on the LH side of the ramshaft.
I have had a pesistent leak of oil from the brass catch knob on the LH side of the ramshaft and yesetrday I started to investigate the locking plunger and replace the 'o' ring. The ramshaft housing is held on with two 1/2" UNC bolts/nuts in the top and 1/2" bolt and locking washer in the bottom. In addition there are two 5/8" bolts UNC (see https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 3064320-35 part 35 K601274).
My question is two part:
1. I have unscrewed the four outer bolts - the ramshaft housing moves slightly but still feels stuck as if there is another attachment. How do I remove this housing to investigate the leaking locking plunger?
2. In my enthusiasm (and ignorance) I loosened the two central bolts which I think was a mistake as one of them will not tighten up. I supect these bolts are not part of removing the housing. Presumably I have to now take the housing off to put back the nut on this bolt?
Fiddling with the housing has increased the leak rate so any help explaining how the housing comes off would be gratefully appreciated!

ollek

Re: Leak in catch knob/ramshaft cover- 880 Implematic

Post by ollek » Mon May 27, 2019 8:40 am

The two centre bolts are going trough the rear axle and have nuts in front of the axle. The bolts can not be tighten from the rear but you have to tighten at the nuts while preventing the bolts from turning. These long bolts are keeping the lift cylinder and the rear cover in place, as are the two lower bolts. The two top bolts only hold the rear cover to the cross shaft bracket. All 6 bolts are going trough the rear cover. The long centre bolts are very important as they are the main fasteners for the lift cylinder. The lift cylinder will brake if these bolts (and the two lower bolts) are not tightened securely.

abm52

Post by abm52 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Thanks Ollek, as I suspected I loosened the wrong bolts.
Can you tell me step by step how to get the rear cover off. Is it just taking the top two bolts off and easing the outer cover off or is there another technique. I notice there are two lugs on the top of the housing (one on the cover the other on the main frame) - is it best to use these to pry the cover off. I am just a bit worried about using too much force to get the cover off.
With the cover off is it easy to fix the nut on the central long bolt once the cover is off?

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon May 27, 2019 3:56 pm

Remove the circlip securing the latch knob after raising the lift arms by hand until the knob starts to come out but does not latch. The knob can then be moved forward exposing the circlip.
Remove the nuts from the top two bolts and knock out the bolts.
Remove the bottom two bolts.
Remove nuts from the long centre bolts and the rear half of the assembly should come away with the long bolts.
A small amount of oil will be released. There isn’t a gasket between the casting faces, a thin jointing compound such as Well Seal should be used when assembling.

abm52

Post by abm52 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks for the guide. I have a slight problem - when I loosened the two central nuts they turn with the bolt - ie, the nut and the bolt become loose but the nut does not loosen against the bolt. They behave as if they are a bolt and not a nut (its a bit difficult to explain). One of the nuts/bolts tightens when screwed back in but one does not.
Given that these 'nuts' should turn against the bolt I am a bit unclear what has happened in the past.
From the picture in the Parts Catalogue it looks as if the long bolts are orientated with the head of the bolt on the outside not inside.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon May 27, 2019 7:03 pm

Off cores the bolts are turning when you turn the nuts, you have to have an other spanner on the bolt head to prevent the bolt from turning. It sounds like you never has done any work on machines.

abm52

Post by abm52 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks for the rocket Ollek! Whoops - I did not realise they went right through the assembly to above the three way valve. Problem solved - you are right, every machine is a voyage of discover for me that's why this is such a great forum! Thanks for your patience.

abm52

Post by abm52 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Does anyone know where I can source a new latch pin (906877). The reason for the leak is that the latch pin is corroded (see photo) just inside the assembly and a new 'O' ring cannot stop the leak.
On inspection of the connectiong rod from the ramshaft to the cylinder there is a half of a disc/cup of brass or copper sitting up against the cylinder (see photo). Is this part of the connecting rod or the cylinder or a foreign object crushed. If it is supposed to be there I cannot see it on the exploded parts diagram. Or is this part of a more serious problem!
Attachments
rsz_1img_20190530_124047.jpg
Corroded Latch Pin
rsz_1img_20190530_124047.jpg (244.61 KiB) Viewed 555 times
rsz_1img_20190530_141440.jpg
Copper disc near cylinder in ramshaft
rsz_1img_20190530_141440.jpg (244.35 KiB) Viewed 555 times

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri May 31, 2019 5:45 am

You will have to visit a tractor scrap yard for the latch pin. The brass insert is a part of the piston, not the cylinder, and was fitted to the piston from new. The insert acts as a bearing for the connecting rod end.

abm52

Post by abm52 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:25 am

Thanks Ollek. Does anyone know what specification of steel might have been used for the pin or similar types of pins? It appears a straightforward machining job - as it is a simple pin.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:31 am

Your pin 'appears' to be possibly chrome plated. If this is the case it can be de-chromed and then re plated byt he chrome platers but I would have some spray weld on it to build it back up them ground back to size.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:09 am

I do not think that the pin is chrome plated, and it do not look to be either. If you can not find a usable pin from a scrap yard, take the pin to a professional machine shop, they will most likely be able to find out the material and make a new pin for you. I would not recommend using spray weld.

Gard

Post by Gard » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 pm

I think that with a part this simple it would be less expensive to make a new one from bar stock than trying to weld up and remachine this one.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:14 pm

Metal spraying is a very, very useful process that can repair many kinds of worn parts to new (if not better) condition.

However, on a pin like this I wouldn't be doing that, it's such a straightforward machining job that it would be quicker and easier to make it from fresh material. Welding produces a lot of heat which affects the properties of the material (which is unknown on this pin), can be difficult to machine and causes parts to distort. By the time that's cleaned up (it looks very pitted), welded and slowly machined you could probably have made three or four new ones.