1967 990 engine block

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

ollek

Re: 1967 990 engine block

Post by ollek » Wed May 22, 2019 10:21 am

I do not think there is any need for discussing this. Just do as the sealant manufacturer recommend, remove the thermostat as they have a reason for doing so.

Gard

Post by Gard » Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 pm

I would guess if you put the sealant into the radiator it will not circulate thru the engine until the engine has been worked hard and the thermostat has opened. In cooler weather this may take awhile. Perhaps putting the sealant into the engine directly, like at the block heater hose would be an option, then by the time the thermostat opens the engine would already be sealed? I think ollek is probably correct, trust the instructions.

I am curious about the welding or brazing options, this must involve draining the coolant and preheating the entire engine to some extent? Is it best to strip down the block completely? I once brought the cast iron yoke from a cement mixer to a weld shop, they put the entire thing in a furnace then brazed steel plates on the side, then allowed it to cool in the furnace for a day or so. I can only guess getting the engine block clean enough to weld or braze would be a bit of a trick.

Attached is a photo of the plate I bolted over a crack many years ago I have not seen any sign of leakage.
Attachments
P5220368.JPG
P5220368.JPG (99.02 KiB) Viewed 505 times

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed May 22, 2019 2:03 pm

I thought that I would not make any more comment here, but I just can not keep my fingers of the buttons. You do not have to guess anything, there is a by-pass facility between the front of the cylinder head and the water pump suction side. This prevents overheating in hot spots of the engine during the warming up time. The connection also, in combination with a tiny hole in the thermostat flange, help getting air out of the system. Some sealants can block some of the moving parts in the thermostat if there is air in the system. Removing the thermostat will give a free flow of coolant trough the engine and the radiator.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Thu May 23, 2019 6:50 am

Yes Gard, you can weld using a specific rod with only a small amount of preheating but as I mentioned you do short runs and then peen it. Keep this up until you have welded the crack. In my case with the broken lug I "V" the area to be welded as deep as possible from both sides because I had access to both sides and using LPG gas flame warmed the area to be welded and did the short runs. On run down the middle at the bottom with 2 runs over that and finally a 3 row over that as well. Allowed to cool slowly out in the full sun and it has been good ever since. As described to me by the professional welder by doing short runs and peening it this procedure gives best results for using that rod.
Yes if you can always heat the complete job but in this case unless the block is out and completely stripped down then all surfaces re machined it would not be practicable. You could bronze or braze the crack in place and again "V" it out to give as much clean metal first and it is advisable not to grind it out but to chisel it. Grinding cn seal the pores of the metal and you will not get the same penetration as when you chisel it.
Some welders have even suggested using a MIG welder and still get good results. I have not tried this but going by those who know not all agree on that idea.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat May 25, 2019 10:19 pm

There are different methods available to weld or braze cast iron. One method - which most seem to think is the only method - is to heat it up, weld it and cool slowly which is obviously a lot of hassle, particularly with an engine block.

It can be welded cold with a stick welder using the correct rods, but it must be kept cool and peened between weld beads while it cools. This method is very successful and can be done without having to strip and remove the engine, provided there's adequate access to the crack.

There are people who just weld it with a MIG, people who get it hot and weld it with a MIG, people who will use rods other than the correct high nickel content type and sometimes these methods give success, however anybody who understands anything about cast iron knows that these methods have a very high risk of causing further cracking and are not a proper fix.

Gard

Post by Gard » Tue May 28, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks for the additional information, bedwards and cobbadog