1960 950 Hydraulics - Drifting up

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Will-l125

1960 950 Hydraulics - Drifting up

Post by Will-l125 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 pm

Sorry if I have missed a similar thread to this in the past but I have an issue with the hydraulics on a 1960 950. The three point linkage kept drifting back up and wouldn't stay down.

I started unpacking a few bits hoping to find some adjustment or easy access valves to clean up but haven't had any luck yet... the control box is on the front of the rear axle on the right hand side, I have had a look inside and cant see anything wrong. I have also had a look in from the rear inspection panel but can see how to remove the valve? there is a cir-clip there but not sure how to remove the valve? (if possible)

Any ideas out there if I have missed something or if I need to go a little further? Hopefully the photos help to explain and describe the tractor better...
- First photo is through rear inspection panel of the axle
- Second photo is of the control box on the front of the rear axle

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Attachments
img_20190316_140950__mSSGp.jpg
inspection panel looking in from the back of axle
img_20190316_140950__mSSGp.jpg (91.18 KiB) Viewed 408 times
img_20190316_141041__PciC1.jpg
looking at the control box on the rear axle from the front
img_20190316_141041__PciC1.jpg (88.03 KiB) Viewed 408 times

db2d

Re: 1960 950 Hydraulics - Drifting up

Post by db2d » Mon May 13, 2019 9:43 pm

Briefly— I suspect the problem is the friction discs on the control levers. If the control lever is loose there are three possibilities 1.The discs need adjustment. 2. The discs are worn out 3. The mills pin has sheared in the lever inside the control box.
The valve unit pictured is not the cause of the problem but the whole system will have to be correctly adjusted.

Will-l125

Post by Will-l125 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks for the response,

Is that all accessible by taking off the front plate of the control box? I had a look in there before but couldn't see anything alarming. May have a closer look if you suspect that to be the issue.

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon May 13, 2019 11:03 pm

If the control lever will not stay in a set position it has to be the options I stated.

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Tue May 14, 2019 11:25 am

Grab the control handle and wiggle it – If it is tight with no lateral movement then replace the friction discs.

Search this forum for Haynes Manual and follow the link

There you will find a DB 950 Parts Manual that gives an exploded view. You can do it on the tractor and do not need to take off the front plate.

The friction discs sit behind the control lever. Undo the nut on the end of the shaft in your picture 2 and pull off the shaft (Careful with the woodruff key ) replace the friction discs as required. (They are available from David Brown Parts).

The shaft (Part 14) is metal to metal on the control box casting (Part 44) the shaft can wear resulting in a sloppy movement of the control lever. This will also give the same results as worn friction discs (With the engine running vibration makes the control lever rise) Replacement shafts are available from Barclay Williams. To do this you do need to take the whole assembly off the tractor. First disconnect the hand brake, then remove the front cover, then remove the bolts inside (you have to remove pin Part 22 to swing the rocker lever out of the way to get at one of them.

Then from the back of the tractor undo the nut with the spring behind it in your photo one and undo the big bolt (under the spring in your photo – This is a banjo bolt be careful not to drop it or the sealing washers into the axle) two man job to have a hand in there catching the washers as the whole assembly is pulled out from the front

The whole system works by the control lever acting on a plunger (Part 6) there should be a spring and a circlip on the outside obscured by the nut and slotted screw thread above the handwheel in photo 1. The plunger acts on a cam in the axle. It is not uncommon for the circlip to ping off. The lift arms will then raise but not lower. People assume the spring is on the inside and try to free it with a tap from a hammer – so the plunger overrides the cam. The end of the plunger that acts on the cam should be pointed and as the control lever is operated the plunger rotates slightly reducing wear but after 58 years of use you will probably find it has ceased rotating and the end has adopted the same profile as the cam it acts on. Plungers and Inserts (Bush) assemblies are also available from Barclay Williams – If you have to strip the unit off the tractor I would suggest that is replaced at the same time as it’s a ************ nuisance to have to strip the whole assembly to do such a simple fix.

New gaskets are also available from David brown Parts.

Replacement friction discs are not the same thickness as the originals (thicker) you may need only two instead of three shown – It is important that the grub screw (Part 3) on the end of the control lever hits the plunger ( Part 6) square on or you will find the circlip and spring ping off regularly and to fix it you need to do all of the above over again. Eventually I modified my plunger by drilling a hole through the end and replacing the circlip with a washer and split pin which seems to provide a much better solution to the original.

But on the bright side you get very proficient at stripping the system

Hope that helps

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue May 14, 2019 11:33 am

The following is a link to the official Case UH parts list, showing the hydraulic lever arrangement, for David Brown 950 Implematic. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 65ar702080

db2d

Post by db2d » Tue May 14, 2019 1:52 pm

I am not going to get involved in an argument but the method described for replacing the friction discs is definitely not the correct method.

Will-l125

Post by Will-l125 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Thanks for the advice all!