How to loosen this bolt witout breaking the lifting arm

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

jedmo

How to loosen this bolt witout breaking the lifting arm

Post by jedmo » Wed May 08, 2019 6:05 pm

The next problem I need to solve rather quickly as it's time to put the potatoes in the soil yesterday hmmm......

One of the bolts in the lifting arm to connect to the lift lever is in very bad shape as the picture shows.

My first idea was to get the acetylene torch and heat it up to loosen the bolt but I came to think of can it be a bad idea to heat the lifting arm as it is made of some sort of casting iron ?
Will the heat make it fragile ?

Is it a better idea to use my angle grinder an just cut the bolt on both sides of the lifting arm. Then to drill a small hole in dead center of the bolt or at least so near the middle of the bolt I can get. After that continue with a larger drill and at last take it out with a mandrel.

I have a good bolt from my spare tractor so when the old bolt is out I can replace it.

// Mats
Attachments
lift_arm_bolt.JPG
lift_arm_bolt.JPG (205.8 KiB) Viewed 752 times

db2d

Re: How to loosen this bolt witout breaking the lifting arm

Post by db2d » Wed May 08, 2019 7:43 pm

Heat the bolt really well, including the head and let it cool.
Heating the bolt makes it expand and when it cools it contracts thereby breaking the corrosion. Not as drastic as heating the arm.
Last edited by db2d on Thu May 09, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:23 pm

I suppose there are people here who know exactly what the material is in the "arm", but I'd guess it is forged, not just a cast. Heating it for the purpose of loosing the bolt shouldn't harm it really, not unless you're aiming at red hot heat. The idea with heating things, is to loosen the bond created by oxidised metal ("rust"...) and to make a forced removal easier, not to deform or soften the components themselves. In this case I might try putting some kind of pressure along the bolt ("axially"), like using a puller of some kind, while simultaneously hitting the eye of the arm against a solid counterpoise, like supporting it with a sledgehammer and hitting it with an ordinary hammer, perpendicularly to the axis of the bolt. The movement in the material of the eye is often enough to loosen the "rust bond" and free the bolt.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Thu May 09, 2019 2:56 pm

don't heat the bolt, heat the arm and keep the bolt as cool as you can by dribbling cold water on it. once the arm is red hot the bolt should move

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu May 09, 2019 4:08 pm

db2d wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:43 pm
Heat the bolt really well, including the head and let it cool.
Heating the bolt makes it expand and when it cools it contracts thereby breaking the corrosion. Not as drastic as heating the arm.

philedge

Post by philedge » Thu May 09, 2019 9:36 pm

Save any argument over which bit to heat by grinding the head off the bolt, put a stack of washers on the threaded side and tighten the nut against the stack of washers. Should pull the body of the bolt out of the arm.
Failing that, heat as suggested!!!
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Fri May 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Some great and safe ideas passed on here and if heating is preferred I would lean towards heating the bolt only and let cool as a first option. Then the idea of a puller with some weight on the bolt laterally while giving it a touch up using a heavy and light hammer and using the heavy as a mandrel. This seems to work well for the ball joint separation. Then the removal of the head and stacking washers or a short piece of pipe and doing the nut up will give results.

jedmo

Post by jedmo » Sat May 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Problem solved :-)

Thanks all of You for the ideas and advices.
I made it this way:
1. Started with heating the bolt and let it cool down again then tried to rotate the bolt with "grandma" ( a 3 1/2 foot pipe wrench ) and at the same time give the arm a good punch with a hammer and had it supported with a sledgehammer. -> Bolt still stuck

2. I cut the head of the bolt and put a pipe, some washers and the nut on the bolt and tightened until the threads started to give up. -> Bolt still stuck :(

3. I cut the other side of the bolt and then drilled a 1/4" hole in the middle of the remaining of the bolt. Then I drilled bigger and bigger until I got a 9/16" hole.
I then started to massage the bolt with a mandrel, a chisel and a hacksaw.
After some persuasion it finally come loose :D
Bolt_3pc.JPG
Bolt_3pc.JPG (115.66 KiB) Viewed 603 times

jedmo

Post by jedmo » Sat May 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Bolt_middle_b.JPG
Bolt_middle_b.JPG (125.51 KiB) Viewed 602 times
The middle part that didnt like to come loose

Gard

Post by Gard » Sat May 11, 2019 11:13 pm

Nice job on getting it out, thanks for sharing the photos. Drilling is always my last resort but sometimes its needed.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sun May 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Well done. It sure was stubborn and didn't want to come out. I see you took the least harmful way first and worked your way successfully through the option.

jedmo

Post by jedmo » Mon May 13, 2019 8:11 pm

Yes, STUBBORN it was but so am I my wife keep telling me :D

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed May 15, 2019 7:19 am

You did a great job on finding dead centre of the old bolt and drilled it straight as well.