DB 1200

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

dieselherb

DB 1200

Post by dieselherb » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:38 am

I just got a DB1200 that has been sitting for years. Wheels roll but all the levers are stuck. Haven't try to start it yet, was going to put Marvel mystery oil in trans, maybe in cylinders. Any suggestions?

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: DB 1200

Post by cobbadog » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:25 am

Try lifting the top off and see what is stuck. The selectors might just need a bit of a bump and some oil on them. Worth a try.

DB780

Post by DB780 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Before you spend some time removing the gearbox top it may be a good idea to make sure it's not just the levers are seized in the housings.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:25 pm

I would forget everything about these lubricants that are promised to fix all kinds of problems and use lubricants recommended by the manufacturer of the machine in question. As DB780 says, remove the gear levers before you do anything else. And perform a full service of the tractor, following the information's given in the Operators Manual, before you start the engine. You have stated that your location is VA. Where about in the world is this? I have a feeling that it can be Virginia in the USA, but I do not know for sure. Would be nice to have better information's regarding the writers home location as most of the readers on this forum are from other parts of the world than USA.

dieselherb

Post by dieselherb » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:36 am

I'm sorry about location. I'm 60 miles south of Washington DC USA. Virginia USA. I don not have a owners manual but have owned a DB990 for 25 years. The 1200 is a major upgrade for me. Took the shift levers out today, looks live some rust down in the case. Can't tell if its in neutral or in gear. Wheels rolled when taking it off rollback.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:54 am

Hi a good idea is to carefully un do the gearbox drain plugs underneath and let any water out and screw them back, can be a bit messy getting them back but avoids water getting through the whole system, if oil looks bad replace it, there is a filter element and screen in the sump at bottom of gearbox, always have hydraulic leaver on lower when changing gearbox oil or hydraulics will suck air and can be difficult to get going. The filter element is throw away and replacements are available aftermarket. Any questions just ask. cheers Geoff

philedge

Post by philedge » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:32 am

If its been stood for a while outside chances are theres water in the gearbox. As Geoff says, drop the gearbox oil and change the filter. Check if the 1200 has an axle drain plug and drain from there too. May be worth removing the gearbox filler plug, and leaving a hair dryer blowing through the box for a few hours to dry off as much water as possible.

You may be able to free the gearbox and salvage that but dont start the engine until youve got clean oil in the gearbox or youll pump water/gunge into the hydraulics.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:55 pm

GeoffDEAL wrote "always s have hydraulic leaver on lower when changing gearbox oil or hydraulics will suck air". The pump will suck air if there is too little oil in the transmission or the suction pipe is leaking. This has nothing to do with the position of the hydraulic lever. The pump is supplying the valve chest with oil regardless of the position the control lever and air can only get into the system from the suction side of the pump and the valve chest is on the pressure side of the pump. However, the linkage needs to be fully down in order to get all oil out when the drain plug is removed.

dieselherb

Post by dieselherb » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 pm

I drained oil it was clear of water. Transmission was oil free some water though. Got most levers moving, trans in neutral, can't turn engine in the inspection plate on bottom. Will remove injectors and put some Marvel Mystery oil in leave it a few days

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi it is usual to leave the lift leaver in the lower position when changing gearbox oil as air gets between the valve and lift cylinder if leaver is on lift when started --i incorrectly said suck air but the pump sucks everything on start -- however if leaver is left up usually the lift cylinder has to be bled thats what the nipple on the end of it is for.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:16 am

GeoffDEAL, can you please tell where from you think the air in the pressure pipe and/or the lift cylinder is coming from if the control lever is in lift position when you change the oil and start the tractor. Can you also tell what, in your opinion, prevents the air from getting into the lift cylinder and pressure pipe when the control lever is in front, lowering, position.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:15 am

Hi ollek if the hydraulics are on lift at start oil and air will be pumped to the lift cylinder, if not on lift oil and air will circulate back to gearbox untill just oil is circulating then would be the time to start using the lift. I guess if the cylinder reaches the top with leaver on lift it should bleed the air off but then why does the cylinder have a bleed nipple ? Leaving the leaver down is something i have always done, read somewhere, was told to by service person ?, If it is not on lift oil or oil and air is not going to the lift cylinder unless on tcu position. Have also used a downward slope to get oil to the pump to get it going on occasion it works.

dieselherb

Post by dieselherb » Sat May 04, 2019 9:26 pm

OK things are getting better. Got the engine loose, turned the pressure plate by hand then cranked it over with starter. Number 4 cylinder is the only one getting fuel. It tried to start couple of times. Fuel lines are clear. Any trick to get injection pump pumping?

rid54

Post by rid54 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:13 pm

Inline pump or distributor-type pump? First step is to ascertain that the lift pump pumps enough fuel while cranking the engine, then bleed filters and injection pump. Is there no fuel coming out even from the injection pump delivery holes? (except for #4)

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Sun May 05, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi probably a good idea to change the fuel filters if its been sitting a while, try pressing the cold start button in the injection pump, needs the throttle leaver at part revs position as cold start doesnt click in at idle, you should hear a click when pressed in, that means the fuel control rack in the injection pump is free and has moved. Also oil in the injection pump should be changed every engine oil change --often gets overlooked. In 49 years of owning my first 1200 injection pumps have never had any problems, but a friend with a 1212 he brought found the control rack in the injection was stuck and he removed the side cover on the pump and managed to free it up, great care and clean ness would be needed, have never had to do work on the pumps myself.