Gearbox leak.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Banwee40

Gearbox leak.

Post by Banwee40 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi I have just bought a 1967 990 selectamatic I drove it home about 5 miles. When I got home there was a creamy substance leaking from under the seat by the description on another thread I assume it's watery gearbox oil. It's not a lot but a definite leak. Shoukd I be worried it is it about age related leak. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

ollek

Re: Gearbox leak.

Post by ollek » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:48 pm

You will first of all have to find out exactly where the creamy oil is coming from. Then you will have to fix the leak before you change the gear box oil and the by pass filter and clean the suction screen. Then you will have to flush out the remaining milky oil by filling the transmission with diesel and driving over bumpy ground with no load on the transmission for half a hour or so. Then you drain the diesel and fill the transmission with the correct oil. Use STOU 10W-30 oil in the transmission. The water is getting into the gear box via damaged gear lever boots and these has to be changed as well. Water in the gar box oil is a common result of neglected service of the tractor. Milky oil contains water and this mixture is not good for the gear box and the hydraulics as water creates rust.

Banwee40

Post by Banwee40 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:37 am

I am really new to owning a tractor not had one for about 30 years and didn't do much maintenance then. What would I use to block the leak. Welcome your advice.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm

It is not possible to give any advice as to fix the leak before we know exactly where the leak is coming from. Saying "from under the seat" do not tell where the leak is. Is the leak from the seal between the rear axle and the gear box frame or from a hydraulic pipe or from any other place?

philedge

Post by philedge » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Can you post a photo of the area around the leak??
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

Banwee40

Post by Banwee40 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 pm

Ok will do when I am down the stables I will take a pic.
Thanks

Banwee40

Post by Banwee40 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:52 am

Hi sorry for not replying sooner I think I have found the leak. I had her running the other night just to charge the battery and noticed a drip coming from the fitting on the end of the hydraulic pipe that is connected to tip a trailer. My guess is it was dripping onto the housing and running underick the seat looking like that's where the leak was coming from.
I hope that's it.
Just a thought would you have any idea where I could get a roll bar from.

Cheers Harry.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun May 19, 2019 10:51 am

Does your tractor have a 3-way valve behind your left foot when you are sitting on the drivers seat? If so, why do you have the feed to the tip connector open when the tip is not used? The 3-way valve can be lever operated or have taps to close and open. Please see the following links https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 85ar321670 is for a lever operated and https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 85ar351388 for a tap operated 3-way valve. For lever operated, move the lever to position "L" when you use the 3-point hitch and to position "1" when you use the trailer tip connector. For tap operated, open the tap for the lift cylinder and close all other taps when you use the 3-point hitch. Open the tap for the tip connector and close all other taps when you operate an implement connected to the tip outlet.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Mon May 20, 2019 6:53 am

philedge gave you the 'heads up' as to where to get a roll bar from in your other thread, its on ebay.