950 implematic exactor coupling

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

blissakpo

950 implematic exactor coupling

Post by blissakpo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Does anyone have any more info/source for an exactor coupling for a 950 implematic?

Parts Catalogue simply states Exactor Coupling part 34087.

Mine is stuck open and needs to be replaced

I worked out that the inlet is 1/2" BSP Thread and the Outlet measures about 1.1/4" across the threads. I ordered one from Barclay Williams whilst the inlet is the same the outlet measures 1.1/2", so I went to DB Parts specified 1/2" BSP Inlet and 1.1/4" outlet - They don't do them but ordered one in for me - confirmed the dimensions and when it arrived - Yep it measures 1.1/2" across the outlet threads, so I tried Flea Bay "New old stock" 1/2" BSP Inlet 1.1/4" outlet ....and that is exactly the same as the other two, so now I have three.

Some people call them Exactor Couplings, Some Exactor Type, Some Dowty Couplings they all look the same in the catalogue but very rarely does anyone state any more info. It would help if I knew exactly what I was looking for.

Andy

tomryall

Re: 950 implematic exactor coupling

Post by tomryall » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:13 pm

why not change to pioneer quick release type, or else change both the male and female ends to the same size.just checked the one on my 30D it is
1 1/2" I don't have exactor couplers on any other tractor.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:38 pm

I can't help on why you keep getting the wrong size, but I also question why not change to the regular, modern quick coupler? It's a good system that's also compatible with almost every other implement you're likely to find and probably easiest and cheapest.

Of course, if you're running a show machine where it wants to be 100% correct for its era disregard the above, but otherwise it's one of the few occasions when upgrading to a modern method is probably sensible.

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:29 am

The largest one is Exactor, the smaller one is Dowty.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:12 am

db2d wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:29 am
The largest one is Exactor, the smaller one is Dowty.
And the easy way to remember which is which is that Exactor is "enormous" and Dowty is "dinky"
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:46 am

Good info. Thanks I now know what to go after

I like to keep things original if at all possible, but do have an adapter that screws on with a modern quick release coupling fitted that can be screwed on if I need to add attachments and the oil filler from the gearbox tapped to take the return.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:38 am

The exactor coupling has the advantage ,that it is far easier to keep clean. Also it is incorrect that they are universal, American and European couplings never used to be fully compatible ands led to a lot of issues letting trailers down

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:03 pm

I do not think there was any problems with the exactor couplings locking up as the two plungers will be forced fully open when the couplers are screwed together. The problem with the trailer not getting down was with the quick couplers when the so called push-pull connectors started (a new world wide standard) to be fitted to the tractor and this did not happen during the production of Implematic tractor, but when the Selectamatic tractors was produced. The spring force in the push-pull coupler is less tan the force in the "old" standard quick coupler. When a trailer with the heavier spring in the male coupler was connected to a tractor with a new standard push-pull coupler female half, the cone in the male coupler (trailer end) was not opened fully. This was not a problem when the oil flow was from the tractor to the tipping cylinder, as the flow pushed the male coupler cone open. The problem arises when the flow is from the extyernal cylinder to the tractor as the flow will now close the male cone because the lighter spring in the female coupler (tractor end) can not keep the male coupler cone open. The male coupler will now prevent the oil from getting back into the tractor. This was a common problem and so wide spread that we, the importer in Finland, decided to supply one push pull male coupler with the tractor. Those has nothing to do with where the tractor was produced, but was due to what coupler was fitted at the factory.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:36 am

My mistake, I left out a sentence, it was of course the quick fit push in connectors where issues arose with non standardisation, between America and Europe

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 am

As I have said, there was two different standards, one for the so called" normal" quick couplers and one for the push-pull couplers. There was no different standard between US and Europe and all quick couplers were made to one of these standards. The push-pull coupler can be connected and disconnected under pressure, but the "normal" connector can not. The problem was the different spring pressure between these two standards. Nothing to do with countries or non standard couplers.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 am

Ollek
I am sorry , but you are just wrong! any user of the earlier John Deere tractors and some Fords which were American built found issues with this problem. Also any American built trailed. equipment had to have the couplers changed before use in the UK. Having worked with both I know we had continual issues with a forage harvester. Then later an American built JD 4240. The 4240 gave issues for several years as there was no simple change to their inbuilt couplers. We found there only way to ensure good function was to replace the European couplers on anything working with it every couple of months as the slightest wear mean they failed to open. later JD fittings were modified

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:10 am

No, I am not wrong about the two different standards and the lower spring force in a push-pull coupler. There might have been some problems with the JD couplers, but this has nothing to do with JD. Push-pull couplers fitted to David Brown tractors gave the problem with lowering of the trailer tip when a old type trailer male coupler was used in conjunction with the factory fitted female. Wearing of the coupler is completely different problem. It is obvious that you have no experience about the two different standard couplers, so I will not give any more information about the situation, as it will not change your mind.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 am

To me, I would like to think that you would use matching couplings to be certain that the connection works properly and then there should be no need to replace a fitting unless you smashed it with a hammer. I operated hydraulic rock breakers for only about 4 years on the same machine and the same connections were used and never needed to be replaced.
If or when I have a recurring problem I research it and then resolve it rather than throwing good money after bad.

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Well.......Thanks for the info. DB2D - Based on the response I bought a Dowty Coupling Dust Cap "New old stock" off Flea Bay and it fits the "Exactor" couplings on both of my 950's so obviously the Exactor Coupling part 34087 in the parts catalogue is a Red Herring. For Exactor read Dowty.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 am

The Exactor and Dowty couplings were originally made by different companies and were of course patented. These patents have long since run out and I sam not even sure if either company still exists.
They did have different ( theoretical) capacities. they actually came in a range of sizes. The old MF diggers which could bee dropped off the back of thew tractor had a Dowty fitting which was rated 3 inch and was fairly massive.

I am, sorry that Ollek chooses to ignore the blindingly obvious. I believe that he was a DB agent and for certain most of his advice is very good. The problem he describes was identical to ours and was only ever solved when true universality was adopted by all the makers. At that time we ran DBs and John Deeres as users and found the situation frustrating