885 mystery part

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

pggriff

885 mystery part

Post by pggriff » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:34 am

Hello all, this is my first post and just want to thank all that contribute, I have learned a lot browsing the posts in an effort to keep my 1973 885 running.
I am in the middle of overhauling the hydraulic system on my tractor after a large amount of water got into the system and froze during our cold winter. The seals in the pump were toast so they have been replaced . I have removed the valve chest and found debris in the traction control plunger spring. All parts were cleaned with kerosene and dried. When I removed the non-return valve plunger the valve seat came out with it, I was initially confused as I couldn’t find this part in any of my diagrams, but with further reading realized In is normally fused to the valve body and must be extracted with a tool when it is damaged and needs replacing. The top surface of this seat appears to be rough though it slides smoothly on the plunger. I have not been able to locate a replacement for this seat so will clean up and reinstall with Loctite.
Here’s my question, I found a part in the housing beside the valve chest right underneath the bolt that enters from the outside near the fender which hold the low pressure line onto the valve chest. I don’t know what this part is and can’t locate it on any part diagrams. It looks like a cabinet lock lever to me. Picture attached.Any ideas?
Attachments
E4211123-2E01-442B-B468-D1A2D1A94762.jpeg
E4211123-2E01-442B-B468-D1A2D1A94762.jpeg (153.3 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

mikeadams1985

Re: 885 mystery part

Post by mikeadams1985 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:55 pm

the smaller part loks like part of a zip :D

1952CROPMASTER

Post by 1952CROPMASTER » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:14 pm

I would have to agree with mikeadams it look like a part off a Zipper, It's not part of a David Brown for sure,

When you removed the Non-Return-Valve you said that the seat came out with the Plunger & that it was slightly damaged but slides freely on the plunger, if it slides freely on the Plunger, this is not the Seat, i think you are talking about the guide for the Plunger, if it is, do not Loctite this guide in place,
The seat is at the bottom of the Plunger and as you said you need a special tool to remove it, if you look at the end of the Non-Return-Valve you should see a worn grove very near the end of it & that's where the seat is,

What part of Canada are you in? hope this help you

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:49 am

What on earth is a 'zip or zipper"?

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:18 am

Cobbadog, if you don't know what a zipper is, please look in the following link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipper

pggriff

Post by pggriff » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks 1952cropmaster , right that makes sense it’s a guide for the plunger not a seat, i won’t loctite it in place.
The thing that looks like a zip pull (handle) is bigger than a zip pull, as I say closest thing I can think of is a lever for a cabinet lock , like a filing cabinet or a tool chest where turning the key moves the lever 90 deg. to prevent opening. As long as you folks don’t recognize it I think I can sleep better knowing it didn’t fall off any mechanism .
I’m on southern Vancouver Island, north of Victoria.

pggriff

Post by pggriff » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:43 am

BTW I’m quite enjoying working on this tractor, some parts have been a little tricky to source but the common pieces like filters and gaskets are still available nearby.
Had to order some parts through Hoober in the states who don’t ship to Canada but was able to have them mailed to a mailbox in Washington state and swing 5 minutes across the border to pick them up. Got some good cheap cheese
while I was there too.

1952CROPMASTER

Post by 1952CROPMASTER » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:37 am

pggriff wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:28 am
Thanks 1952cropmaster , right that makes sense it’s a guide for the plunger not a seat, i won’t loctite it in place.
The thing that looks like a zip pull (handle) is bigger than a zip pull, as I say closest thing I can think of is a lever for a cabinet lock , like a filing cabinet or a tool chest where turning the key moves the lever 90 deg. to prevent opening. As long as you folks don’t recognize it I think I can sleep better knowing it didn’t fall off any mechanism .
I’m on southern Vancouver Island, north of Victoria.
Living on Vancouver Island has to be the nicest place in Canada, been there many times & would live there if i could afford the move,

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:17 am

1952CROPMASTER wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:37 am
Living on Vancouver Island has to be the nicest place in Canada, been there many times & would live there if i could afford the move,
I totally agree with that. Wonderful holiday there. Whale watching in a kodiak <sp> when they surface right beisde you is amazing.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:36 am

Hi Ollek,
thanks for the link.
Obviously we know about zippers in clothing but when the same term is used on describing tractor parts it did not register even when some words have more than one meaning.

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:20 am

I will try to explain if it is difficult to understand. The OP asked what the pictured part is. commentators on the forum said that it is not a David Brown part, but might be a part from a zipper. No one has suggested that zipper is a tractor part. One of the comments are: "I would have to agree with mikeadams it look like a part off a Zipper, It's not part of a David Brown for sure". Might be that someone leaning over the tractor has dropped the zipper handle from the clothing into the rear axle trough the opening on top of the valve chest.

pggriff

Post by pggriff » Sun May 12, 2019 6:26 pm

Well with everything back together I started the 885 up and bled the hydraulic system and hallelujah the lift arms raised and lowered like a champ, drove her out to the tractor shed and reattached my fel.
Things were working nice for about 20 minutes and then the hydraulics stopped working and a strange noise started coming from (I think) the control valve area.
I posted a YouTube video if anyone cares to have a look and might recognize this noise https://youtu.be/i7lPcE7T6Q0

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun May 12, 2019 8:14 pm

I have a feeling that the valve chest relief valve is blowing off and it looks like the hitch is fully up. If you have had the valve chest apart, have you done all the settings and have you assembled the valve chest correctly, in the right sequence and with the accuracy required? It sounds like the system is in constant lift mode and this is most likely because the adjustments have not been made as told by the manufacturer. Stripping down, assembling and adjusting the valve chest is something that has to be done absolutely correct. Do you have all the special tools needed for the adjustments to be made correctly? Please remember that even only very few trained David Brown mechanics have the tools and skill needed for this operation. All adjustments are shown in the following link, but the assembly has to be correct before any adjustments are made. Some of the operations needed can not be found in any manual, these tasks have been shown to the trained fitters when these tractors were under production. https://dbtc.co.uk/index.php/informatio ... lic-system

pggriff

Post by pggriff » Sun May 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Hmmm, thanks for responding Ollek,might have to strip it down again and bring it in to my local tractor mechanic .
I used the manual in your attachment as well as Case pub 9-37214 , borrowed a dial gauge and thought I had everything adjusted properly but alas. Good learning experience if nothing else and should be able to extract the chest valve a lot faster than my first go round.
I guess some things are best left to the experts.
Trickiest thing for me was reinstalling the valve chest without that low pressure line that is tightened with the outer bolt on the right side falling out of place , couple of swears came forth.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon May 13, 2019 7:02 am

Do you have the special tool (number 961796) shown on page 3 in the adjusting instructions? The ope4ning pressure for the shock valve in the valve chest has to be higher than the opening pressure for the main relief valve on top of the pump. If the shock valve opens with the pump pressure, then it looks like someone has tampered with the main relief valve or the shock valve adjustment is wrong.