Coolant

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Patrick98

Coolant

Post by Patrick98 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:32 am

Just wondering what is the ratio of coolant to water for a DB 996 radiator and what is the capacity??

ollek

Re: Coolant

Post by ollek » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:41 pm

50 % coolant (ethylene glycol) and 50 % water. This is the normal ratio for all tractors and other vehicles. Here is a link to the technical information's for a 996 non cab tractor. Please get yourself a Operators Manual for your tractor as soon as possible. A Ops Manual gives you all information's you need regarding use and servicing of your tractor.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:34 am

Check and make sure you haven't bought a pre mixed coolant before breaking it down further. Here in Australia you can buy it so that it is poured straight in and then the ones you mix depends on the climate you live in as to the ratio you mix it. Cooler climate requires more glycol product. This info is taken from the brand of coolant I use here and the truck driver across the road uses straight caterpillar coolant, no mixing.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 am

I think that the mixture ratio is supposed to be 50%, because the coolant (glycol) also contains corrosion inhibitors, and the 50/50 mixture strength provides good overall corrosion protection as well as very good antifreeze properties - even if you don't actually need the antifreeze in your climate.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:38 am

Forget the Caterpillar coolant and the use of the different Caterpillar coolant products in trucks in Australia. Use ethylene glycol as recommended by David Brown and in a mixture ratio of 50 % glycol and 50 % water. This is the European standard that works in all cases and climates we have.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:39 am

Agree about the caterpillar product but we have some very concentrated coolants here and if mixed at 50:50 would still be too strong for the application. they do this to condense the packaging size and weight for ease of handling.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:55 am

I would strongly disagree with this advice, unless you live in very cold climate, 25% is sufficient unless your tractor is parked outside.
This will take freezing point down to minus 7 c.
33% will reduce this to minus 20c
Anti freeze actually reduces the efficiency of the water for cooling.
Obviously this does not apply to countries such as Finland or North America.But here in the southern Uk 25% will be fine
Always mix Anti freeze with De mineralised water never use tap water

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:13 pm

Steve, I strongly disagree with your comments about mixing water and glycol in 50 to 50 ratio. We have a climate in Finland where the winter temperature is minus 30 centigrade and in the summer we have plus 30 to 35 centigrade. The high summer temperature presents no problem regarding engine cooling and all our vehicles (tractors, cars, trucks) use the same mixture. This is trough also when the engine and air condition are used under full power. You can mix as you like, but your comment is not correct. Some companies offer ready to use antifreeze, and these products are all 50 / 50 mixtures. There must be something wrong with a cooling system that can not cope with 50 to 50 mixture in UK temperatures. Please also note that I used to travel a lot to UK and David Brown for more than two decades (summer and winter) when I was the service manager for the David Brown subsidiary company (importer) in Finland, making me know what kind of weather you have. The tap water in UK is not really drinkable, because of all minerals it contains. This is not the case in many other countries, the tap water in Finland, Sweden, Denmark and many other European countries can with no harm be used for engine coolant. And by the way, I haven't seen any antifreeze manufacturer recommending De mineralised water for the last 40 years.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Ollek lets talk facts
Glycol is 15% less efficient at absorbing heat.
I am not sure about mineral content of water in Finland but all UK tap water is 100% safe for drinking.
It is the mineral content of water which causes scaling and oxidation of cooling systems.
All manufacturers of ready made coolants use de mineralised water in their product. John Deere who pioneered this product made a big fuss of it.
As i said in my post my advice regarding percentage coolant is not suitable for Finland, or many orher cool countries
I am absolutely certain David Brown , never advocated more than 33% in the UK
This advice is also not suitable for Alluminium engine blocks but again that is not an issue on a David Brown forum
The only advocate for 50% are surprise, surprise, the manufacturers of Antifreeze.
Ps did you know that Glycol is a waste product in the UK which is discharged in large quantities from the UKs gas terminal in Bacton Norfolk

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 am

You are free to believe and do what you like.