David Brown/Case 995 Starting Problem

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

staffstractorboy

David Brown/Case 995 Starting Problem

Post by staffstractorboy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:28 pm

For the past few weeks when I turn the ignition key I sometimes get a click sound but the starter motor doesn't crank. I then turn the key a few times and the engine turns. This has been getting much worse in the last week and I sometimes have to turn the key 15 - 20 times. I've tightened all the leads from battery to starter and solenoid but no improvement. My neighbour thinks the solenoid needs replacing. Is there anything else I should look at before taking this step?

ollek

Re: David Brown/Case 995 Starting Problem

Post by ollek » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:23 pm

Tightening the battery cable connections is just a part of it. Please undo all cable connections and truly clean the contact surfaces. Then check that the battery is fully charged, and if not, charge the battery. What will happen if you keep the key in start position for longer times?

staffstractorboy

Post by staffstractorboy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 am

Ollek - thank you again for some very helpful advice. I went to remove all the cables from the solenoid, starter motor and battery to clean the contacts thoroughly as you suggested. Went I started to loosen a nut from one of the solenoid poles I found that I could not remove it fully as either the thread on the nut or the pole had been worn. It just kept turning. Removing it was virtually impossible as the loader frame makes access to the starter motor difficult. However I found a nut from an old Fordson Solenoid which seems to be slightly smaller and tightened it on. It's not an ideal repair and I don't know how long it will last but the engine now cranks every time I turn the ignition key. I'm going to stick with this for as long as it works as the only alternative is to replace the solenoid and I think that might require the removal of the loader which I'd like to avoid at all costs.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:56 am

Good you got it sorted. Once again it has been proved that most of the cranking problems are due to bad battery and/or corroded cable connections.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:51 am

It sounds like your solenoid is tired, the contacts inside will be burnt and corroded. When the terminal was turning as you tried to remove the nut it'll have moved things enough to make it work again, at least for now. Normally it's possible to take the solenoid apart if you are prepared to unsolder the end cap, then it can all be cleaned up, or of course new ones can be had for not much money.

I've had the starter motor off my cabbed 995 with a loader without removing anything. I don't think it was easy but it wasn't impossible. Hopefully it'll keep working for you.