David Brown/Case 995 - Slave Brake Cylinder repair

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

staffstractorboy

David Brown/Case 995 - Slave Brake Cylinder repair

Post by staffstractorboy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:23 pm

I have a 1979 David Drown/Case 995 Tractor with a Girling 73670053 Brake Slave Cylinder both of which are leaking badly. Does anyone know what type of repair kit I need and where I could buy a couple? Many Thanks.
Attachments
Brake cylinder small photo (2).jpg
Brake cylinder small photo (2).jpg (86.6 KiB) Viewed 902 times

ollek

Re: David Brown/Case 995 - Slave Brake Cylinder repair

Post by ollek » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:34 pm

You will find the repair kit in the following link http://www.davidbrownparts.com/Brakes.html It is most important to use only green LHM oil in the clutch and brake hydraulics. Using normal car brake fluid will ruin the seals in the cylinders. You will need to change all seals in all cylinders (main and slave, clutch and brakes) and flush the pipes with the correct oil, if normal brake fluid has been used for topping up. Call David Brown Parts if you need assistance in finding the correct repair kit for the brake cylinders.

DB780

Post by DB780 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:17 pm

It may be a good idea to take the cylinders off and check the bodies to make sure they are ok. There's no point in buying a couple of kits if the cylinders are worn/corroded and unrepairable.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:37 am

Not sure about over there but here some complete units new sell for the cost of repair kits on a set of wheel cylinders for a vintage car. Do some research first but as suggested check that the cylinders are suitable for a repair.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Warning! Brake or clutch cylinders for cars are not suitable for David Brown tractors. Car cylinders have seals that are used with brake fluid and DB cylinders have seals that has to have LHM mineral oil. The cylinders can look identical, but the seals are of completely different materials. Please, do not listen to anybody who talks about car clutch and brake cylinders in conjunction with David Brown cylinders. Car cylinders must NOT be used and giving such advise shows that the person do not have the necessary knowledge.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:05 am

At no stage did I say that car parts are suitable for tractors. I offered a comparision of buying a new part to buying a repair kit nothing more!

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:10 am

There is no need to do any research. The link to David Brown Parts that I provided earlier, tells you all you need to know about prises for the correct brake and clutch cylinders and the repair kits for these. The price for a complete cylinder is around 100 pound an for a repair kit around 20 pound. Buying pars from e-bay can result in all sorts of problems. I would recommend to obtain parts from a seller that have parts with the correct specifications. But before you buy any repair kits, do as DB780 says, check to see that the cylinder is not scored or damaged in any way.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:05 am

I'm pleased that we agree now.

staffstractorboy

Post by staffstractorboy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered the cylinder repair kit as suggested. Fitted the kit last Thursday, stopped leaks straightaway.