Three-way Selector Valve Leak

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

tractorfan

Three-way Selector Valve Leak

Post by tractorfan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:40 pm

I have an oil leak coming up the spindle when the valve's open, so I suspect the o-ring needs replacing, but will I have to drain the hydraulic oil before removing the spindle? I have a vision of the plunger flying out under pressure!

Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_3601.jpeg
IMG_3601.jpeg (161.64 KiB) Viewed 816 times

ollek

Re: Three-way Selector Valve Leak

Post by ollek » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:53 pm

The 3-way valve is higher up than the hydraulic oil level, as you can see if you look at the tractor. It is obvious that You will get pressure at the 3-way valve only when the 3-point hitch is lifting. There is no oil pressure if the engine is switched off. However, there will be some oil in the lift cylinder and therefor it is best to lower the link completely before removing parts.

tractorfan

Post by tractorfan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Will do! Thank-you!

dbdgc

Post by dbdgc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:31 pm

I haven't much experience, but have just changed all the seals in my 3 way valve and it was very easy to do.
I took the complete unit off and there wasn't much oil that leaked while doing so.

You can change that single seal by just removing the stem and next no oil will leak out while doing so.

I got the complete seal kit for about 7 pounds (13 NZD)

tractorfan

Post by tractorfan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. Where should that particular o-ring fit? I've removed the screwed bush and then the mills pin followed by the spindle, but there's no sign of the original o-ring, and I can't see where the new one should go.

Thanks.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:13 pm

The following is a link to the parts catalogue page for the valve https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 85ar351388 Have a look inside the screwed bushing (ref 6). You may find a groove for a O-ring (ref 3) that seals the spindle to the bushing.

tractorfan

Post by tractorfan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:45 pm

The plot thickens - I've now dismantled three spindles and have found no o-rings in any of them. So the mystery of how to stop the original leak remains. I think I'm missing something here...

tractorfan

Post by tractorfan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:33 pm

Solved! The o-ring was on the plunger.

Thank for your replies.