990 3 way take off valve

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

dbdgc

990 3 way take off valve

Post by dbdgc » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:24 am

Hi
I purchased a 990a a few weeks ago, I believe its a 1966 selectamatic, according to the serial number.

Any way it starts well and drives nicely but the hydraulics have given me a couple of issues.
So I have cleaned the lower filter and replaced the bypass filter and oil, cleaned the by-pass valve and hold valve.
After this service it improved dramaticly and lifts with good speed and power and holds well.

But the following day I found the loader wouldnt work and the links did, and after closing and opening the 3 way valve serval times the loader works, then close it and then the links dont. Then a few more opens and closes and they both work correctly then i change it and one would stop and so on...
Also the links will bounce (lift and drop about 50mm constantly.) sometimes and othertimes not.

To confirm when I Close the ram cylinder valve and Open valve 2 the loader would normally work. Close Valve 2 and Open the Ram Valve the Links would work. But the problem is that sometimes they just don't work.

So I'm thinking maybe the ram cylinder valve, in the take off valve, maybe be sticking or faulty and not opening and closing correctly to direct the oil to the correct area when selected. But I cant find any service or removal instructions in the workshop manual.

I would appreicate and feedback on other possible causes, before i remove it and any tips on removing it and servicing it please.

Thanks in advance

ollek

Re: 990 3 way take off valve

Post by ollek » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:31 am

If you have a 3-way valve with taps. please remember the following. You must have only one tap open and the other two closed. For example, If you want to use the 3-point hitch then you have to have the L-tap open and both the other taps (1 and 2) completely closed. The constant 50 mm lift and lowering (bounce) is most likely because the small hole in the hold valve centre is plugged with dirt.

dbdgc

Post by dbdgc » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks.
That's what I am doing, closing 2 and opening only 1.
The bounce seems to have stopped today.
I think the valve on the 3 way is sticking.
I got the loader working and left all the taps alone and it been good all day.

Then I shut the top valve and opened the ram valve and the links worked. Left it for while and shut the Ram valve and opened 2 and the loader stopped again. shut and reopend it several times and it works. So probaly stuck or dirt I Think.

Can I just pull the 3 way valve off and clean or is there someting important to be aware of?

Thanks

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:39 am

The following is a link to the parts catalogue page ´for the 3-way valve https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 85ar351388

Gard

Post by Gard » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:52 pm

Its been awhile but I think the 3 way valve is pretty simple. I had mine off and apart years ago. I ended up making some new knobs and threaded shafts. I used some cheep orings when assembling and had leaks, I purchased the correct part number parts from caseIH, and all is good now. I do not know if this is what is causing your lift problems or not.

dbdgc

Post by dbdgc » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:46 am

Hi

I took it off and checked it. The plungers are really stiff and hard to move, couldn't get them out.
So I have ordered a seal kit and will give it some surgery and hopefully fix it soon.

Cleaned the hold valve and by-pass valve again and the constant lift and lowering has gone, fixed for good I hope.

Thanks for the input and information