880A Selectamatic information request

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

880Selectamatic

880A Selectamatic information request

Post by 880Selectamatic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:20 pm

Hello,

I have undertaken the rebuild of a DB 880A Selectamatic,

Its going pretty well except that when i received the tractor it was partially dismantled and there are a few little bits and bobs which i'm stumped on-

The first unknowns are tubes which are essentially electrical conduits for the wiring harness, there are three in total but with some googling i found a few pictures which show one straight tube passing along the top of the gearbox, there are however two more and i haven't a clue where they came from!

Just wondering if anyone would have a diagram or a photograph of the positioning of these two tubes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another question i have is regarding the Start Inhibit switch at the clutch pedal, there appears to be a little lever with a rod and spring attached to the pedal but i have no idea how it connects to a switch (or for that matter which type of switch i need) can anyone advise me on this?

I have checked a couple of DB's to see if i could find any clues but i can only find 990's locally which are quite different i believe, even my local parts suppliers haven't been able to help me.

I'll try to get a photo or two uploaded soon if anyone thinks that would help

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

db2d

Re: 880A Selectamatic information request

Post by db2d » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:20 am

The one cable guard as you say goes across the gearbox and the other two go across the rear axle. There should also be junction boxes.
The starter safety switch is mounted onto the clutch cover directly above the cross shaft unless modified. There are linkages attached to the clutch pedal for the clutch brake. If you provide pictures we can identify the parts.

880Selectamatic

Post by 880Selectamatic » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:12 am

Hopefully these photos will be of use-
the start inhibit switch looks like it should be attached to the little arm at the top of the clutch pedal itself

I cant quite figure out how a 'normal' switch would connect to this rod, maybe there are some parts missing?

880Selectamatic

Post by 880Selectamatic » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:21 am

The two cable guards currently look like this...

They're currently in bad shape but i have some light hydraulic pipe and i'm fairly confident i can remake them but i'd need to have an idea where they go first! i've offered them up against the rear end many times but i'm struggling to see where they came from. even if i knew which bolts they attached to it would be a massive help

Thanks again for any help you can give

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:47 pm

the two tubes bolt on the top of the rear axle to each mudguard, the joint for the cables is under the seat or a modern termination would be a 7 pin socket rather than the two pin rubber socket.

put some pictures up of the restored item

philedge

Post by philedge » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:26 pm

On my 880 the 2 tubes run from under the back of the seat then follow the front of the PTO housing round until they get level with the underneath of the ram shaft bearing housing. At this point they run horizontal out towards the mudguards and finish there. The brackets are held in place by a couple of the PTO housing bolts. The curved ends go under the rear of the seat

There were 2 versions of the clutch interlock switch so be careful you get the right one if ordering parts. Yours looks to be the earlier pull switch version. The later ones were push switches. If you search the forum for haynes manual youll find a thread with a link to a load of manuals. Near the bottom is a selectamatic manual that includes Technical Service Bulletins. Miscellaneous TSB 20 details the first version of the clutch switch and Electrical TSB 13 details the later version
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

880Selectamatic

Post by 880Selectamatic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:47 pm

Thankyou very much for your help gentlemen!

I have attached a couple of photos of my attempt at remaking the tubes, your description was exactly what i needed Philedge, very helpful, Thanks.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:48 am

afraid you will now find it very difficult to get your cables through!
that is exactly what I did first time :oops:
A further tip, I just welded the tabs back on using araldite, to avoid heating the tube with a cable inside. I also used twin wire to give a better earth return.

philedge

Post by philedge » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:34 am

Your photos are almost identical to mine which I beleive are original piping, so job well done except maybe for getting the cable in?? Run a single wire in first and keep twisting while gently pushing down the tube. Once the thin single wire is in, tape it to the intended cable and pull it through.
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

dbiow

Post by dbiow » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Tidy job 8)
Try giving mig welding wire a go it may go through easy as it bends with the tube, then use this to pull the cable through.
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.