DB 990 Implematic Engine

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

chriswatson

DB 990 Implematic Engine

Post by chriswatson » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:09 pm

All
I have a very genuine DB990 implematic - first series with chassis number 448173 which agrees with the log book as being supplied new in January 1963. The tractor's history is that it had a major engine problem soon after being first sold and WMF put a new engine in before reselling it to the farmer who I got it from. The engine is supposed to be an industrial skid unit but can anyone identify it from the numbers please: -
LHS engine has EW1 and the number MC25389 with 14 C O imprinted on it as well
RHS engine has K956168F imprinted on it with in a large cast print 073 below

If I do any work on the engine it would be useful to be able to identify it accurately for spares etc

Chris

db2d

Re: DB 990 Implematic Engine

Post by db2d » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:52 pm

The numbers you have given are casting numbers. The engine number is stamped on the right hand side of the cylinder block two inches below the water drain tap.

chriswatson

Post by chriswatson » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:14 pm

many thanks for the prompt reply.

Been over the engine very carefully looking for stamped numbers and I can find nothing??
The drainage tap is on the LHS of the engine - from the seat looking forward that is - and there is no stamped number visible here. On the RHS of the engine behind the tacho coupling is a raised area of casting that looks as if it ought to be the number plate. Despite a good clean off and fine sanding there is not a single digit visible on this. Surely something would show through if this was the identity plate even after all these years?
Even with the engine being resprayed I would have thought some sort of stamp would still be visible? If it is covered in paint then it is a complete scrub-off to find it. reluctant to do this as engine sprayed up very nicely.

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:58 pm

On my 950 implematic it is just in front of the oil filler

I've attached a photo to show you what you are looking for

I'm not saying yours will be where mine is. If DB2D says its under the water drain tap then that is where I would look but as you can see I had to clean off all the paint to reveal it after an engine repaint they are invisible.
DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg (21.65 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg (21.65 KiB) Viewed 2160 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Look below the dynamo on the right hand side of the cylinder block. There should be a flat raised rectangular block approximately two inches long with the number stamped on it.

mc

Post by mc » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:53 pm

If a just a cylinder block was replaced it did not come with a serial number, the dealer was expected to stamp it which i guess did not always happen.

One thing that does puzzle me is the part number K956168F cast into the R/H side of the cylinder block. The "K" prefix on David Brown part numbers was introduced in the early/mid 1970's after the Case takeover as there was a conflict of part numbers between DB & Case. However on this occasion it may be the K prefix & F suffix have significance to the foundry.

Does the cylinder block by any chance have the three core plugs on the L/H side & does the water pump have a short bypass seal rather than the longer bypass hose? The reason i ask this is that in the late 1970's the supply of the original AD 4/47 cylinder blocks were used up & later AD 4/49 could be used with adaptor kits.

chriswatson

Post by chriswatson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:03 pm

Thanks to everyone with comments it is appreciated.

Engine block LHS has 3 core plugs and there is very little gap between the block and water pump so assume this is what member described as a short bypass tube?
The only identification plate is behind the starter motor on the RHS and as I said despite cleaning this off I can see no numbers on it.

chriswatson

Post by chriswatson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Just discovered how to add the photos of the engine block

download/file.php?mode=view&id=8309
Attachments
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg (81.78 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Picture4.jpg
Picture4.jpg (113.06 KiB) Viewed 2079 times

mc

Post by mc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:31 pm

This is an even later cylinder block than i thought as it has a spin on engine oil filter which dates it from about 1979 onward.

Part of the adaptor kit was a new water pump (which your tractor has) to suit the new cylinder block. Also included was an adaptor which replaced the hose tail in the underside of the thermostat housing. This enabled the later type bypass seal to be fitted.

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:18 pm

The number for that that engine would normally be stamped on the block behind the starter motor. As MC has stated the tractor has a much later cylinder block so transfering the engine number from the original block would have not been been correct.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 am

Interesting not only the block is later but is complete with cross flow cylinder head as later engine.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 am

There appears to be a 'pad' for an engine number to be stamped onto inline with the solenoid of the starter in the second pic but from what I see it is blank.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 am

There appears to be a 'pad' for an engine number to be stamped onto inline with the solenoid of the starter in the second pic but from what I see it is blank.

mc

Post by mc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:19 pm

With regard to the engine serial numbers on replacement cylinder blocks please find below an extract from DB Technical Bulletin 164 Engine (1343) dated February 1976.

"Any AD4/47 engine originally fitted with K961005 cylinder block converted to this specification must be restamped with a prefix 55 before the original serial number to assist future identification. Example 55/AD4/47A 15035"

chriswatson

Post by chriswatson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 pm

The crux of the issue is if I need any spares for this engine do I presume that it is an AD4/49 type please?