Stalling and starting problems 880 sel

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Richie

Stalling and starting problems 880 sel

Post by Richie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi forum, whilst waiting for new parts regarding hydraulic problems last week I decided to clean out diesel ancillaries , an occasional problem of engine stalling and a reluctance to re start after the stall was the symptoms. So I replaced fuel filters, cleaned sediment bowl and gauze , checked the small nylon filter in injection pump end plate, inspected inside of fuel tank, clean . The problem is now dramatically worse . I noticed with a flash light behind the sediment bowl aeration in the diesel not noticeable without light so I swapped the pump with my 885 and still same problem. I then placed rubber pipe into clean can of diesel from lift pump to eliminate pipe work and tap.still won’t start without ether gas , will tick over for 10 . 15 mins and then stalls again . Is the aeration in the diesel a characteristic of turbulence in the sediment Bowl ( un noticeable without torch behind bowl ) or am I still gaining air from somewhere? On bleeding the system there never seems to be any air but at the injectors the squirt is a little weak ! I’m on my third day and an considering burning the ************ thing . Any help would be appreciated. Richie

blissakpo

Re: Stalling and starting problems 880 sel

Post by blissakpo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:44 pm

Richie - Happy New Year!

How old is your diesel?

In a previous post I had a simular problem with a Case 885 XL running on old diesel it would start eventually and run then stall, We tried everything, Did everything you have done, would re-bleed it, get it started with easy start :( and 10 to 15 minutes later it would die - usually going up a slight incline. Eventually we changed the diesel and it went like a rocket.

I would try that first as a cheap option once they start they should keep going

Andy

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:54 pm

Thanks Andy, it’s funny you should ask that as my friends father recently passed away and from him I inherited a couple of 25l cans of diesel from his garage. When I cleaned the tank I refilled with the newly acquired fuel which I guess could be 25 years old . Il keep you posted. Rich

Richie

Post by Richie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:55 pm

And of course happy new year mate.

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:23 pm

Stuck in the Iraqi desert for another 28 days it does not get much better than this!

:) I have a 950 that still runs on the stuff 2 years later but the Case would not - I considered burning it too. It's ************ frustrating when you're 3 fields from home and it does that.

Mix your inheritance 10 % 90% new and it should run ok.

Cheers Andy

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:20 am

Use the old fuel for burning on a fire only and buy fresh stuff, it is just not worth the drama.
A mate across the road came over yesterday and said that one of the bikes would not fire up. The bike is a 3 year old Kawasaki with still under 500 kilometers on the clock. Fuel pump was not pumping and my guess is that is has gummed up as it has sat there for 12 months and not started ever. They use normal 95 octane and that is what that stuff does, goes gummy. I have and use 98 octane and have it sitting in engines and tractors for same period and no issues at all. there must be something added into the higher octane to keep it good enough to still ignite, same will go for the diesel.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:27 pm

I'd be wary to use very old fuel. The same kind of trouble happened to my 880 and it ended with the injection pump seizing, breaking the little drive shaft from the pump gear. Since the oly lubrication the pump gets is the fuel itself, it is pretty important that the fuel is in good condition. Any "gummyness" is really not good at all.

Richie

Post by Richie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks you guys, Andy, double thanks to you ! Sometimes when you’re in the thick of it you loose focus , the air problems were the enitial problem but I then after cleaning every thing I filled tank with clean diesel of which I did not know the age of which was obviously duff. On reflection I’m an idiot but that’s old David browns for you! I still have tiny bubbles in glass bowl though , does anyone know if you can still buy the big broad seal for the fuel tap as it’s my next investigation . Thanks again rich

db2d

Post by db2d » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Try davidbrownparts.com for the seal

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:00 am

If you have air bubbles in the glass bowl I would think that air is getting in from somewhere.

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Yes cobbadog, I think the cork washer in the tap is sucking air although not leaking diesel when engine stopped ? Db2d has kindly passed on the link for parts required. Ollek had previously passed on the parts link but I stupidly couldn’t open it probably due to brain melt down after hydraulic and fuel trauma ! This tractor should have gone for scrap but like my cockerel who was the only serverely injured survivor of a Christmas fox visit , something’s just deserve respect, even inanimate old selectamatics! Cheers richie

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:08 pm

I can not see how the tap seal can leak in air if it does not leak out fuel.

Richie

Post by Richie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Ok ollek, I sort of agree but what do you think of the minute swirling of bubbles in the sediment bowl?

blissakpo

Post by blissakpo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:08 pm

Ritchie

I had this prepared earlier but the PC I was working on would not let me post on this forum - I can see things have moved on a bit from when I drafted it but it may be still relevant.

A couple of thoughts on your air ingress problem.

I’m not sure of the set up on the 880 but assuming it’s not too far away from a 950 there are a couple of places I would look, I’m sure someone better qualified will shoot me down in flames if I’m talking rubbish but here goes.

Diesel is really good at finding leaks – If air is getting in then diesel is usually getting out. The fact that you only have microscopic air bubbles suggests that you only have a small leak and a damp patch should be visible.

On the 950 there is a flexible rubber hose on the outlet of the fuel tank that may have started to go porous and a pin ************ leak will act like a venture giving you the small air bubbles you describe. With the engine off and no flow it may well seal it’s self again.

I’m assuming you have a fuel shut off valve between the tank and the glass bowl – on the 950 it’s in the casting above the bowl – you may find that the gland packing on the manual shut off tap is starting to pass, try a liberal application of Vaseline around that and see if it cures the problem

Hope that helps

Andy

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:10 pm

There is no flexible rubber hose in the fuel line on a DB 950,all the pipes are metal. Comparing the two models can introduce confusion. Air can only be drawn into the fuel system between the induction side of the lift pump and the fuel tank. Ingress of air is usually the result of a partial blockage in the fuel line somewhere between the tank outlet and the lift pump. With the lift pump being gravity fed,(if there is a fuel tap)air only enters the system if there is a restriction inhibiting flow.
Last edited by db2d on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.