Page 2 of 2

Re: 900 front axle surprise

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:21 pm
by GeoffDEAL
Excellent job like your workshop, guess it could also be done on 2 centers on a lathe using a drive dog if the threaded end centre was available but would still have to cut the new thread.

Re: 900 front axle surprise

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:26 pm
by Berk
That's come up good

Re: 900 front axle surprise

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 pm
by Gard
Thanks for the comments, I used 1/8" 7018 rods because they were handy, in hindsight I should have bought some smaller rods or dragged out the mig welder.
There was no center hole in the end of the ************ axel but I think I could of mounted the stub axle in the 4 jaw chuck and supported the axle end near the threads in a steady rest while drilling a new center hole. Then mount it between 2 centers to turn down the welded section. Its a lot easier cutting the threads on the lathe than cranking on that large tap!

I found brass bushings for the vertical section of the stub axle from Asbbearings.com for less than $5 us each, next I need to look for new roller bearings and seals.

Re: 900 front axle surprise

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:28 pm
by gwatts
Really nice machine work! No one would believe you if you told them how much time is spent building fixtures to hold the work piece! I always enjoy seeing others machine shops. Very nice

Re: 900 front axle surprise

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:37 pm
by Gard
On to the new parts and reassembly.
One side of tractor had the correct Timken tapered wheel bearing, 19283X with 19138X . The other side had SNR 30207. I could not find the Timken bearings for a suitable price locally so bought National 30207 for $ 18 from Rock Auto, they fit OK, are slightly wider than the Timken and have a 14 degree cone instead of 16 degree, I hope they work OK. The axle shafts were a little worn so bearings were installed with locktite. Timken seal 472015 fits good for $ 7. In hindsight I probably should of shopped around more for the correct parts.

The trunnion pin was loose in front axle by about 1/8 inch so I added weld to it and re-machined it in the lathe to fit the oversize holes in axle. Also had to weld the slot in the trundle pin and tapered cotter bolt. Made some new shims and replaced each grease seal with 2 ea #226 O rings. Everything is back together now and nice and snug, I am sure it will loosen up some with some use. It is well below freezing here so I will not attempt to start it until it warms up. I guess the seat - fender assembly is next on the list.

Re: 900 front axle surprise

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 am
by cobbadog
Nice work with the repairs. When you finally get to drive it again you wont know yourself as it will go in the direction you point it.