DB885 Engine Clatter

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

PoppyShan885

DB885 Engine Clatter

Post by PoppyShan885 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:57 pm

In an earlier post about starting problems, I also mentioned that my diesel had been revving and "clapping", "clattering" after sitting @ idle. Following is a video of what I've been trying to describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20OSHahw6E

This is not the worst sounding of these episodes, but it is a fairly lengthy one. I was unable to get a video of the engine revving, as it is very sporadic, it revved twice last evening, but not as severely as before. Another thing I just thought of, and maybe it means nothing, but I've always been reversing when it revs. ???

What's causing this? Is this something to worry about? Could it be from sitting for most of it's life? I've had other issues clear up with regular use, ie. hard-shifting, brake sqeak/chatter. It's a 43 year old tractor and I just passed 850 hours.

Thanks for all your help!

db2d

Re: DB885 Engine Clatter

Post by db2d » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Have the fuel injectors ever been serviced?

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:29 pm

db2d wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:20 pm
Have the fuel injectors ever been serviced?
Don't know, I've had it a little over 2 months.

What does that entail?

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Faulty injectors can give the most peculiar running faults and starting problems. Have the injectors serviced properly by a good diesel shop before you start to think about anything else. The revving of the engine can be because of the same problem as faulty injectors. There can have been or there is dirty fuel and water in the fuel, making the different parts of the injection system rusting and sticking. Water in the fuel filters will block the filters so that the fuel flow to the pump is reduced or even stops completely. Sounds like a tractor that have not been correctly serviced for quit a long time.

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:13 pm

ollek wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:37 pm
Sounds like a tractor that have not been correctly serviced for quit a long time.
Well...I'm not sure that's the case. As I've said, it's sat for the majority of it's life in a barn w/ little use. Actually, about an average of 20 hours a year! I've put 20 on it myself in 2 months.

If I keep the throttle idled up, I have none of these problems. It's only if I drop to an idle below 1000 rpm.

It's been mentioned elsewhere that my cold-start could be stuck in the wrong position. I checked that to find it is seized in whatever position it's in. I'll soak it for a day or two to see if I can break it free

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:52 pm

Hi you are lucky to have one with such low hours, it sounds and looks --lots of smoke-- to be over fueling and it clears when revs come up could be the cold start stuck on as you are checking out or something sticking in the injection pump, needs sorting as that rattle is hard on the motors rings ect .

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 am

If the cold start is stuck in the starting position (screwed in), then the misfiring will be worse when the engine revs are increased. Higher revs will not clear the running if the screw is in start (wrong position for running) position. The cold start screw locks the automatic injection advance into the maximum delay position.

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:06 pm

ollek wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 am
If the cold start is stuck in the starting position (screwed in), then the misfiring will be worse when the engine revs are increased. Higher revs will not clear the running if the screw is in start (wrong position for running) position. The cold start screw locks the automatic injection advance into the maximum delay position.
So then ollek. from what you're saying, you don't believe it to be the cold-start? Otherwise, upon acceleration, the problem would get worse, correct?

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Check the thermostart for fuel leakage into the manifold. Do this by either disconnecting and blanking the fuel supply or removing the unit and running the engine.

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:47 pm

db2d wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:15 pm
Check the thermostart for fuel leakage into the manifold. Do this by either disconnecting and blanking the fuel supply or removing the unit and running the engine.
Where would one find the Thermostart on the engine? I've read through my Instructions booklet & my IT manual and neither are very specific about the Thermostart.

Also, while removing the bonnet, I found this loose spring on the side of the injector pump.
Loose Spring.jpg
Loose Spring.jpg (19.73 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
Where does it connect, and could this be the source of my problem?

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:57 pm

The spring is for the engine stop control and there should be a small anchor plate on one of the timing case bolts.

The thermostart,if fitted, will be in the inlet manifold with a small fuel supply pipe and electrical lead connected to it

mikeadams1985

Post by mikeadams1985 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 pm

Thermostart is located on the right hand side of the engine from drivers position