I'm Sure Someone Can...

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

PoppyShan885

I'm Sure Someone Can...

Post by PoppyShan885 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:22 am

Identify this loader.
David Brown Loader.jpg
David Brown Loader.jpg (211.65 KiB) Viewed 2656 times
It's on an 880. Will it fit an 885?

Gard

Re: I'm Sure Someone Can...

Post by Gard » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:42 am

Not sure about this one but my loader does have a model and serial number on a small plate riveted to 45 degree sloping support bar.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:57 pm

Poppy I’m interested in this topic but I wouldn’t have known it from the title. If you’d used the second half of your sentence you may have got more response.

My ill-informed guess is it would be a good fit, but don’t base your decision on that!

txtractorguy

Post by txtractorguy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:26 pm

DB loader LQ8H would be the one for an 885. The bucket width for this loader should be 42-inch, but the craigslist add list the bucket width as 50-inch. Maybe a homemade bucket? If you could get dimension "A" from the seller, it might help identify the loader. A=9 feet for the LQ8H.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (27.11 KiB) Viewed 2556 times

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 pm

Lofty wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:57 pm
Poppy I’m interested in this topic but I wouldn’t have known it from the title. If you’d used the second half of your sentence you may have got more response.
You're probably right, Lofty. However, you'd think w/ 100+ views, there would have been a few more opinions. Must be something I'm doing wrong? My post don't get much response.

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:12 pm

txtractorguy wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:26 pm
DB loader LQ8H would be the one for an 885. The bucket width for this loader should be 42-inch, but the craigslist add list the bucket width as 50-inch. Maybe a homemade bucket?
DB Loader III.jpg
DB Loader III.jpg (212.68 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
Tex, judging from the head-on view, this bucket was made to fit between the loader arms. Unless the arms we're also homemade, I'd say this is factory. Wouldn't you?

I'm not sure of the DB loader set-up. Do they always have the cylinders on the wider section?

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:39 pm

It’s clearly not an LQ because it has a front brace. The bucket rams look like the option shown in my AL2 manual. That’s an implematic loader. So it’s in between - an early selectamatic loader. I’ve seen passing references to an LF which seems to predate the LQ so it could be that. The important question is, are there any significant differences in the frames of the 880/885? I’m assuming you’re looking for a direct bolt-on fit.

It’s sad how tired this forum is. There’s plenty of people with rich knowledge that just cant be bothered.

txtractorguy

Post by txtractorguy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:08 pm

From the data I have seen, the 880 used the AL3 loader (standard loader). The AL3 became the L8 I believe. I'm no expert for sure, just conveying what I've read.

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:24 pm

That's a early DB loader that's been converted from a trip loader and had tip and crowd rams fitted in a totally different positions to normal dB loaders as a young man we had one on a 780

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:26 pm

I will take a look at my old sales leaflets tomorrow's and post back my findings

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:42 pm

txtractorguy wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:08 pm
From the data I have seen, the 880 used the AL3 loader (standard loader). The AL3 became the L8 I believe. I'm no expert for sure, just conveying what I've read.
Shootin', Tex!
Glenn wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:29 pm
Hi jimont, The AL/3 is the Standard Loader designed to fit the 880 Selectamatic. The AL/3S is the Super Loader for this same tractor. David Brown later changed these loader designation numbers to make it less confusing when ordering parts. The AL/3 became the L8 and the AL/3S became the LS/8. These loaders will also fit the three cylinder 880 Implematics though some alterations to the bonnet need to be made. I find the LS8 on my tractor lots strong enough but perhaps a little slow.

Glenn
Presumably 'super' meant hydraulic bucket?
There used to be an article on the DBTC website about loaders but it's disappeared.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:04 pm

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:47 am

Lofty wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:39 pm
The important question is, are there any significant differences in the frames of the 880/885? I’m assuming you’re looking for a direct bolt-on fit.

It’s sad how tired this forum is. There’s plenty of people with rich knowledge that just cant be bothered.
It doesn't have to be a direct, bolt-on fit. It'd be nice, but I can fab some things if need be. It was more of a nostalgia thing. You don't see many DB tractors in these parts, much less attachments/implements. I think it was you who said it; "They're as rare as hen's teeth!"

Yes, it is sad. Not only that, but I've felt reprimanded a few times. There are a couple of names on here, that when I see them, an image of Ebenezer Scrooge pops into my head! :shock: :) :lol:

Seems the ball is rolling now on this topic!

dbiow

Post by dbiow » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:46 pm

That was a trip loader that’s been converted to hydraulic tip. You can see the trip part still on the back of the bucket.
If you look at the head on pic of the bucket you can see the holes wear the tines would have been fitted when new. that shows that the bucket is a home made effort based on a muck fork.

It’s fitted to a 880 selectamatic so should fit a 885, a 8 series loader should fit a 8 series tractor however There are so many different factory and past home made options that I would ran a tape measure over it before committing :lol:
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:29 am

I just have a glimmer of doubt because I recall reading that the 885 shared the lighter frame of the 780. But I don't trust my memory and I can't find the post now. That may have no bearing on frame width or mounting points. But I wish someone could say for sure. Maybe Ian's literature can resolve it.

Edit: Found this, which supports my recollection that the frames differ: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=792&p=2990p2990
But this seems at odds with other info. :?