Spin On Oil Filter

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

PoppyShan885

Spin On Oil Filter

Post by PoppyShan885 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Is there an adapter to convert an 885 to a spin on oil filter?

ollek

Re: Spin On Oil Filter

Post by ollek » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:36 am

No, there is no adapter available. I cant see any reason for converting a working oil filter setup to anything else.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:39 am

I can't agree, Ollek. I think it's a dog's breakfast, and a spin-on adaptor is a great idea.

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:17 pm

I'm w/ you Lofty. If my tractor were a collector's piece, I'd want to keep it original. I use my tractor and any time savings in routine maintenance would be a plus.

I know there is such a thing for the Ferguson TO-35.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:29 am

Look what I found. DB Parts list a spin-on filter for late 885. http://www.davidbrownparts.com/page69.html
So did they change the block or add an adaptor? My Nov 1976 Case 885 parts book still shows the old style.
I have sent an email to DBP for clarification.

jazo

Post by jazo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:50 am

It's a different block for the later models. You could have a engineer make an adapter plate but for something that gets changed probably less than once a year its not really a major
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:55 am

Ok, thanks. Today I bought the Bare-co listed spin-on filter (actually a Kubota equivalent :roll: ) and did a quick measure-up for an adaptor. It won't be easy with that filter. Might be better to find one more suited. Realistically, I have better things to do right now...

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Forget the adopter for fitting a spin on engine oil filter to a 885. If you find it impossible to live with the original oil filter, get yourself a 1190 or a 1194 and you get a much younger tractor and the spin on filter is fitted as standard to these tractors.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:19 pm

I much prefer spin on filters as they are quicker and much more convenient. It's also impossible to put them together wrong which I have seen done with cartridge types.

But I can't see why anyone would go to any great lengths to fit one in place of an existing setup, just how often are you going to change it that the extra couple of minutes and mess will make a difference?
Even if you're doing a 1000 hours a year with the machine you'd still only need four filter changes, or if you did it every oil change (like I do) it'd only be eight. Most DB owners probably do it no more than once a year. I'd have to be doing a serious amount of hours to go to the trouble of changing it.

gwatts

Post by gwatts » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:45 am

I can tell you why I would take the time to make an adaptor. It was a rainy nasty weekend, I have a heated workshop, machine tools and just wanted to get out of the house. I'm not trying to improve the DB 990, it was just fine leaving the factory, I just needed a project. Before the real machinist bust my chops, I'm just a hobby machinist, self taught and not that good a student. I looked at other adaptors and came up with this;
Attachments
rsz_img_0055_1.jpg
rsz_img_0055_1.jpg (81.93 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
rsz_img_0065.jpg
rsz_img_0065.jpg (68.43 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
rsz_img_0066.jpg
rsz_img_0066.jpg (106.02 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
rsz_img_0068.jpg
rsz_img_0068.jpg (104.3 KiB) Viewed 1644 times

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:37 am

What an excellent piece of machining every DB owner with the old filters will want one, is it possible to use the same thread and therefore the same filters as later DBs or does it need larger diameter thread as it appears to be in the pictures. I use a longer Z9 type filter that is almost twice as long as usual DB filters they are common to Ford cars tractors even Case harvesters and DBs gives a lot more filtration area than the short standard ones.

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:53 am

If the filtering system is converted to a screw on type filter it is very important that the new filter has a bypass system that conforms to DB specifications.

PoppyShan885

Post by PoppyShan885 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:57 am

db2d wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:53 am
If the filtering system is converted to a screw on type filter it is very important that the new filter has a bypass system that conforms to DB specifications.
Please explain for those of us (me!) who are less familiar w/ these type things. Always looking to learn!

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:23 am

Briefly- The canister type was a full flow system with a built in pressure relief mechanism that ensures that the engine is not starved of oil if the element becomes blocked.
Most screw on filters have this relief system built in, but not all. The relief system pressure should conform to DB specification of 10 PSI

Berk

Post by Berk » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:25 am

db2d wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:23 am
Briefly- The canister type was a full flow system with a built in pressure relief mechanism that ensures that the engine is not starved of oil if the element becomes blocked.
Would that be the spring and assorted gubbins?