Starting problems.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Berk

Starting problems.

Post by Berk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:05 am

This is starting to drive me up the wall.

The starter has been rebuilt, and this is a known good, and fully charged battery.

Video of starting...
https://youtu.be/f_bAxAQgZ3A

I know the alternator isn't working, and I suspect the thermostat is ************, but I don't think either of those are the problem.

Has had new fuel filters, new lift pump, new thermostat, air filter cleaned and refilled.

She's a loud beast but seems to run well once she's going, though I am half deaf most of the time.

My current best guess is maybe tired engine and maybe poor compression.

Any ideas?

danone50

Re: Starting problems.

Post by danone50 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:43 pm

did you try to start it by pulling it
saw the sound I think your start has a problem
if he starts pulling it will be the starter :wink:

Berk

Post by Berk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:06 pm

Not tried pull starting. The tractor has the pickup's battery at the minute. Will try once my son is home to man the tractor

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:14 pm

In theory she should just keep turning over (the starter motor) at an almost constant speed till the engine fires. Sounds (the noise) like a dodgy strater motor as she turns for a second or two and then stops - it should just keep cranking over.

When you say the starter has been re-built what has been done. These old starters have a `clutch` pack on them if I am not mistaken and it could be that. You can do the brushes, etc but if the clutch is worn on the starter it gives similar symtems.??

They should just keep turning over like this till they fire, this is an extreme example obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmuJBQAeeiE

rid54

Post by rid54 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:39 pm

I agree with broadsword here - the engine should be turned by the starter until it fires. The interruptions in the starting process shown in the video are a sign of a faulty starter (unless they're intentional).

Berk

Post by Berk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Think I've got it.

The disengagement of the starter is from voltage drop when cranking, when it gets below 9v, the starter disengages. Which is bad.

Disconnected everything from the electrics but the starter and solenoid to rule out parasitic draw.

Looks like, long story short, the disconnected alternator is offering enough physical resistance to pull the voltage below 9v.

Slacked the belt tension off a bit and it's working as well as I'd expect.

Fingers crossed.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:55 pm

You have a short in the alternator then, or it is seized. It needs to be repaired or disabled (remove the diode assembly), otherwise the water pump won't do its job if the belt doesn't travel as it should.

Berk

Post by Berk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:27 pm

I'll have a proper look tomorrow, most likely just buy a new alternator.

Berk

Post by Berk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:36 pm

Basically the alternator was completely hooped, bearings worn. Regulator festering, broken wires and seized bolts.

So, not worth the effort.

Turns out the alternator exciter cable made it as far as into the cab.

Wiring under the dash looks like 10 people have been there before and made it worse, far too many flapping ends.

So, bushfix until I can get it apart and start rewire it properly.

Anyway, terrible things, but working machine. https://youtu.be/gnqpIuXd2fo

rid54

Post by rid54 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Well, old diesels are like that. Once up and running, no electricity needed. Just make sure the water pump runs OK...

Berk

Post by Berk » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:37 pm

Yup, likely also be a replace for peace of mind type job.

Not hugely worried, but will keep an eye on it.