Engine Oil Filters.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

db2d

Engine Oil Filters.

Post by db2d » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Engine oil filters that are fitted into a canister have to have the correct seals so that the oil is directed through the element. All the cross matching I have tried for the Cropmaster/25 /30 and 900 type tractors has not been successful. Oil pressure is not an indicator that the oil is being filtered.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: Engine Oil Filters.

Post by cobbadog » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:44 am

With mine, I was re using the original seals and the new filter sat at the same height as the old filter so it should be filtering well through the filter. When the lid is sat on and the bolts are started to pull it down there is a resistance and that would be the seals doing their job.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 am

Hi with a lot of research i found the right filter for the early Cropmasters -the short one, a filter & parts firm crossed referenced it in manuals they had and came up with a Ryco R2601 it also fits some Mercedes cars and is a perfect match with old filter including end sealing. However i have not found a later longer filter yet for later Cropmasters 30c-d and 25 series, all so far need extra end seal washers even though they are listed as the correct filters BUT WILL NOT SEAL TO FILTER THE OIL !!

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:51 am

G'Day Geoff,
When you say, short or long, do you have those sizes handy?
It just might help me out when I get RedPoint to go searching through the Baldwin filter catalogue.

db2d

Post by db2d » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:45 am

The sealing disc that is required as part of the sealing arrangement for the short filter is a DB part that is not available. The long, felt type, filter was superseded and became obsolete sixty years ago.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:22 pm

The short filter is for the early cropmaster alloy housing is 104mm long including good end seals same as old felt filter, the later original longer filters are 155mm including cork end seals some of last filters had rubber lip end seals and same length both paper filters. Most available now dont have correct end seals but could be corrected with neoprene washers top and bottom if the overall length is the same.

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:26 pm

At first I thought I would stay away from this, but now I have decided to give my input to this lengthy discussion as it seems that information's given by a person who knows all this is not listen to. Please by your filter from the company in the following link, and you will get the correct one right away without any hassle http://www.davidbrownparts.com/page69.html I do not think there is any need to try to find a working substitute as there is no working ones available on the free market. No filter manufacturer is making completed filters that fits to these old tractors. The company mention in the link have some filters specially made to the correct design. These filters can only be obtained from the company in the link. I do not think, "living on the other side of the globe" is a valid excuse, as all parts are anyhow shipped around the world, even if you go and by the pert from a local shop.

broadsword

Post by broadsword » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:39 pm

The DB parts one is a standard filter - cannot remember who makes them (Fram / Crossland ?? ) but it is the rubber bellows at the ends that are the important bits.
Now if you were to get the filter and re-use the bellows........

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Sorry ollek i should have mentioned that the filters from the DB shop are the correct ones and do fit correctly, was and have been looking at alternative filters that can be purchased localy from other suppliers as have many others.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 am

I echo Geoffs' comments. YES DB spares do supply the correct part. YES we do want to be able to get what is required locally. YESS the locally sourced filter used with the original seals does work.
At least we all agree.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:32 am

Hi cobbadog Fram Extra Guard CH801BPL filter looks to have the correct end seals cross ref to Fleetguard is LF 594 But not sure on end seals untill i see an actual one, these cross ref to Wix 51183 used on some Jag cars Wix 51193 Nissan trucks, AC-Delco AC34A & AC34C , Hastings LF112 & LF171 ,Crossland 414 , GUD S-0771 , Napa 1193, all would need checking against an original filter but the Fram and maybe Fleetguard look promising, cheers Geoff

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:39 am

Great and very helpful info mate. I look forward to any further details as it will help many D.B owners out locally with sourcing the correct parts and quickly.

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:18 am

Hi the diameter of some filters is very important as the DB cast iron canister has bumps in the casting lower down that some filters will not fit past, DB didnt machine much inside the housing its just as cast, i have a spare housing that i can try different filters in but have yet to find correct filters.The Wix 51183 is to big in diameter an does not fit. Will be going to see my filter company that found the correct small filter for older Cropmaster, with housing and lid to see what they can get to fit, they use manuals not computer x refs . cheers Geoff

GeoffDEAL

Post by GeoffDEAL » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 am

Have been to see filter supplier who had correct filters in stock that actually fit the housing and are near the correct length But require the cork or rubber washers off the ends of your old filter. Sakura EO-30120 is the filter. The filter supplier for locals is South Island Filters 22 Racecourse Road Sockburn Christchurch NZ . cheers Geoff

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:56 am

Good info Geoff.
When I get to paint mine which hopefully will be soon I will be doing a service on the tractor and will need another filter for that. I will run that brand and number past my supplier when it is time to see what he comes up with. He loves dropping oils and filters off here as he too has an interest in these toys and always goes out of his way to find what is needed.