990 power steering splashing out lid

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

b-man

990 power steering splashing out lid

Post by b-man » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:06 am

My 990 has had hydraulic fluid in the power steering since i bought it. It has a few leaks so have top it up occasionally.
I have noticed its running pretty fast through the stsyem and its quite disturbed in the reservoir and splashes around in there and hits the lid and constantly leaking out/ through the lid.
I removed the filter as it was quite black but that hasnt fixed it. I was thinking it could be restricting it.

Im thinking maybe the pipes may be connected around the wrong way and th he fluid is going through the folter backwards?

Or the fluid thats in there is incorrect.
Or some other issue i havent thought of.

I was thinking of raising the filler neck and putting a baffle in there to stop it clming out the lid but wondering if there is a fix for it rather than a work around?

rid54

Re: 990 power steering splashing out lid

Post by rid54 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:08 am

Classic power steering has a pump that is always active so the fluid circulates at all times. When steering assist is needed, the fluid/pressure is redirected by valves in the steering gear to whatever system is used for giving extra power to the steering. If there is too much turbulence in the reservoir, it may be a problem with the fluid or something has contaminated the fluid, or there is air in the fluid. Some reservoirs have a sort of baffle at the inlet to minimize turbulence.

Perhaps you should try to fix the leaks, change the fluid and clean the filter. The lid should normally be tight, perhaps there is a problem with the seal?

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:33 am

There was a modification that incorporated a baffle. I will send you PM when I find the information.

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Is the steering hydrostatic? Please PM me your email address for further information.

b-man

Post by b-man » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:02 am

Its power steering assist.
Dont think its hydrostatic.
I have sent you a pm. Thanks.

Its splashing out the filler cap at the top center hole that has a split pin head poking out of it. I cant see how to stop that. Nothing wrong with lid of the reservoir.

A fair majority of the leak is from the cap if that didnt leak id only top it up one a year rather than once a month

I did read about putting engine oil in it?
I have a new filter so if i drained all the oil out can i fill with the 10w40 i put in the engine rather than the hydrailic oil im topping it up with as thats what was originally in there? Or do i get some propper power steering/atf fluid?

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:07 am

I would only use the correct oil that is specified for your tractor. The split pin in the lid sounds like a dodgy bit of gear. I would seal that hole and drill another very fine hole and fit a cork gasket beneath the lid to where it screws onto the reservoir similar to what is on a lawn mower fuel cap.

b-man

Post by b-man » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:00 am

I thought it looked genuine.
My thought was its a small breather and the pin in there stops crap going in and stops it getting blocked

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:40 pm

The first power assist steering systems had a dip stick hanging down inside the oil reservoir and the dipstick was attached to a split pin in the filler cap. Later it was found that the dip stick could drop down into the reservoir and the dipstick was removed but the hole with the split pin was left, acting as a breather. Selectamatic tractors then had the fully hydraulic steering and now the lid had a breather pipe and there was no hole in the filler cap. Please see the following link showing the first Selectamatic lay out. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 7ar1299202

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:56 am

Well I have learnt something else today, thanks ollek.
Maybe solder a pigs tail copper tube in place to stop the mess.

b-man

Post by b-man » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:59 pm

Here's the picture of the reservoir link below
My plan of attack will now be drain and flush the hydraulic oil with something suitable and place a plastic baffle in. If im still having issues as bad as i am now i will create a breather. If its still bad i will extend the filler neck. Could it be that the pump might be a 700lb/sq Inch vs the 600lb/sq Inch and has too much pressure and as i have extended lines its creating more of an issue?

I seem to want to start doing some maintenance on the tractor then i seem to need to use it so put it off and then never end up getting around to doing it. Hopefully this weekend i can get it sorted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/la7r8cd3820ec ... 7.jpg?dl=0

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:46 pm

There is a breather elbow (ref 33) shown In the link I have sent earlier and this elbow can be lengthen higher up if necessary. The breather neck I just a open pipe, nothing else. Do not lengthen the filler neck, but fit a baffle to float on top of the oil. Please ensure that the oil level is around half a inch above the top face of the filter. this is stated in the Operators Manual. A too high oil level will result in oil being splashed out trough the breather. There is no breather visible in the photo you have sent. Why is that? There must be a breather elbow and the hole in the filler cap must be soldered close. The pump pressure or the length of the hoses have nothing to do with the oil leak from the canister.

b-man

Post by b-man » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:20 pm

ollek wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:46 pm
There is a breather elbow (ref 33) shown In the link I have sent earlier and this elbow can be lengthen higher up if necessary. The breather neck I just a open pipe, nothing else. Do not lengthen the filler neck, but fit a baffle to float on top of the oil. Please ensure that the oil level is around half a inch above the top face of the filter. this is stated in the Operators Manual. A too high oil level will result in oil being splashed out through the breather. There is no breather visible in the photo you have sent. Why is that? There must be a breather elbow and the hole in the filler cap must be soldered close. The pump pressure or the length of the hoses have nothing to do with the oil leak from the canister.
Ok so i didn't lengthen the neck of the filler but cut out a baffle that covers the top where the filler part is but semi open at the bottom lower side so the oil can run back down into it nicely and for topping up.

I drained and refilled the oil then bled as much as i could with the engine off before driving it around in figure 8's to bleed it some more.
It was a little bubbly out the top still to start with but once bled it seems to be great.

as for why there is no breather i don't know. i have 2 reservoirs (a spare) and neither have one. i don't know if they are older ones before the modification? i dont have access to bronze a breather on and solder the filler hole closed so will see how this goes. if i still have trouble i will have to see who/what i can do to get a breather put into it.