Rear arms not dropping low

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

taylor6632

Rear arms not dropping low

Post by taylor6632 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:44 pm

When my 996 is running the rear arms don't quite drop low enough to hitch on some of my attachments. It used to be alright and if you switch it off the arms drop within 30 seconds to the floor with my topper on. Any ideas as I'm topping at a real odd angle and have to store my topper on bales to hitch it on and off.

ollek

Re: Rear arms not dropping low

Post by ollek » Mon May 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Have the valve chest been out from the tractor, and if so, was all the adjustments made correctly and in the correct sequence? What service have you selected, depth, height or TCU/External?

taylor6632

Post by taylor6632 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:35 pm

It's on height. Was working fine before being parked up in October. Nothing been out apart from the dump valve as seals needed doing. The hydraulics operate fine, no jumping or pulsing. Just won't drop far enough to hitch things on or top level(front of topper about 6 inches in the air with back on the ground).

Can you adjust the drop links to the holes closer to the tractor? Looks as if the angle would be wrong and foul up. (it's currently set up for cat 2 holes on the arms with cat 1 holes being the ones attached to the tractor)

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue May 29, 2018 6:29 am

If you change the hydraulics over to Depth instead of the present Height position you will find that the linkage will drop lower. If you need to have the system set to Height as opposed to Depth then you just have to change it back once you have the implement attached.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

taylor6632

Post by taylor6632 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 am

Thanks. I've tried it on all 3 settings, played with the 3 way valve as well but still only drops to the same height. As soon as engine off it drops the final 6-8 inches. You can see the arms lift straight up again once you turn engine back on. Makes attaching things a real pain and only topping off the top of the grass haha.

jazo

Post by jazo » Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 am

Hi try removing the cover behind your right foot that has the lowering speed control knob and there is a 1/2" size nut in there. Unwind when it's running might only take a couple turns to lower correctly
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Tue May 29, 2018 7:48 am

Sounds like a stuck valve somewhere in the system.

taylor6632

Post by taylor6632 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:57 am

Am going to drain the old oil and flush run it with diesel. Got a new filter that I'll put in with some new oil as well. Might as well try that first to see if it moves anything as was spot on last autumn. Hasn't been used all winter.

If not I'll have to investigate the valves but always worry about it not working at all as I've been told these systems are tempermental.

taylor6632

Post by taylor6632 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Had a play this evening, not getting it to drop any further than yesterday whilst the engine is running.

What are peoples thoughts on moving the drop links back a hole (nearest to the tractor) I've done it to see and the arms now drop almost to the floor. Just not sure on the angle of the drop links now they're right at the front of the arms.

This is a "make do" approach until after hay making is over as don't want to fiddle too much with it and then have no tractor, or be it get stuck using my zetor which has no brakes so not safe on the road hauling bales.... :shock: only gets used in the fields or short road journeys very early in the morning :oops: