slow turnover

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

poppydog

slow turnover

Post by poppydog » Sun May 27, 2018 5:21 am

I know that this is not a Db tractor question but I feel that this is a problem that could possibly affect any type and there are so many of you out there with wide knowledge of tractors in general that you may be able to help me.
As well as my 990 I have an old nuffield and now for some reason when turning the key the starter turns the motor over slowly. When I use starter cables off another vehicle battery as a booster it still turns over slowly. Have had the starter overhauled but no difference.
Any ideas much appreciated.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Re: slow turnover

Post by cobbadog » Sun May 27, 2018 6:25 am

Sounds like a voltage loss somewhere or the starter needs to be checked over again. Talk to the person that did the rebuild and let them know of your problem, that just might twig something in their memory and they should correct it for you at no charge. A bench test by that person should confirm what is happening.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun May 27, 2018 7:20 am

Bad cable connections (both plus and minus) between battery and starter motor is the first thing to look for. If you connect the starter cables to the tractor battery poles, then the current have to go trough the tractors battery cables. Try to connect the slave battery directly to the starter motor, but be careful, the tractor will start to move if in gear..

KevinC

Post by KevinC » Sun May 27, 2018 9:47 am

I have had a similar intermittent problem on a fordson major. After turning it over feel to see if any of the cabling is hot or at least warmer than the rest. It does sound like a bad contact. You could just take all the cables and wires off one by one and clean them and their contact point making sure there is no paint,grease or mud between the them. By all the wiring I mean all that associated with the starting circuit so it wouldn't take too long and it would eliminate that as a potential source of the poor performance.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun May 27, 2018 5:06 pm

After removing the cables I would file and sand all the contact faces clean as the problem is most likely corrosion.

Gard

Post by Gard » Sun May 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Measure the voltage difference between the hot stud on the starter motor and the + battery post while someone is cranking the engine. This should be a small number like less than 1 volt. Do the same thing from the ground on the starter to the battery ground. This should help narrow down the fault. Check the voltage across the battery when it is cranking and this should be close the voltage between across the starter motor. If you have close to 12 V across the motor when its cranking, I would suggest bringing it back to the starter shop. When I got a new starter I had the shop build me some nice new heavy cables, he advised me they would be a lot better than the generic ones from the auto parts store.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:41 am

As has been ponited out, allt joints in the current's path from battery to ground could introduce a resistance and so a poor performance of the starter. Such "joints" or contact points exist inside the solenoid as well, the main contacts that actually power up the starter.

If all cables and such are OK, the problem is in the starter itself. There could be a short or break in an armature winding, badly seated brushes or poorly finished surfaces of the commutator segments. If all the external connections are OK, you may have to take the starter back to the shop which did the overhaul and have them check it.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon May 28, 2018 1:17 pm

I think we can rule out problems with the starter motor, as poppydog wrote " Have had the starter overhauled". The solenoid is also most likely checked by the workshop that did that starter motor check out. The most important thing is to check that the current supply and the ground to the starter motor are in order. This is in fact something that has to be checked and fixed before the starter motor is even removed from the tractor.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Tue May 29, 2018 7:40 am

That is very true ollek but I have had faulty electrical items after a rebuild and even a brand new generator that was suitable for the bin but returned and it was replaced under warranty, so we do need to cover all possibilities.

poppydog

Post by poppydog » Tue May 29, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks guys thats given me some things to check.

ollek

Post by ollek » Tue May 29, 2018 9:27 am

It is most important that all connections between the battery and the starter motor are checked BEFORE the starter motor, old, new or repaired) is blamed for the problem