Pick up hitch

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

dbiow

Re: Pick up hitch

Post by dbiow » Sun May 20, 2018 9:06 pm

Is the hook not interchangeable with a Clovis (straight) drawbar on the puh? I have both on the 885 and I’m sure we had the same on the 1390 my brother now has.
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 am

Yes I've seen them with both.
But mine just has conventional drawbar on a pickup hitch frame, I would upload a pic but haven't been able to make data small enough yet to upload, thanks

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Mon May 21, 2018 9:57 am

The draw bar is removable. It's not the drawbar has so much has I can't get the hitch to drop down , the two hooks underneath won't budge.
I've lifted with a jack so they're not holding any weight I think it's just siezed, like I said in another post I'm going to get some hitch rods if I can free it.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon May 21, 2018 10:03 am

The two rods between the 3-point hitch and the PUH, will lift the lower part of the PUH, just as a jack will. I do not think that the lift rods will be of any help.

skyrydr2

Post by skyrydr2 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:23 pm

You may need to heat the hitch frame a bit ans lube thw sickens out it as it cools to draw in the lube and keep working it. I had to do this on my drawbar as well as it froze the pins solid and I needed to remove it so I could rebiuld the hole for hitch pins.

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Mon May 21, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks for that, I'll give it ago.

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Fri May 25, 2018 8:21 am

are you certain there is not mud or stones between the frame and the transmission case preventing the PUH lifting that bit to the top enough for the hooks to release.
It was very common on the earlier tractors to have the assembly and use it with a clevis drawbar ask it made hitching far easier. Using a Hook which was permanently bolted made some operations such as PTO work difficult. Later tractors had the reversible clevis hook.
One other reason for using a clevis on a PUH hitch was that the hood used on the earlier tractors were notorious for losing the trailer under certain conditions.

johnclaude

Post by johnclaude » Fri May 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks for that,