Used grill for 990 Selectamatic?

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

travismikula

Used grill for 990 Selectamatic?

Post by travismikula » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi all,

My '66 990 Selectamatic is missing it's grill. I see I can buy one on-line brand new for around $100 US. I would like to have the grill as I think it looks pretty crappy with a huge hole in the front of my tractor, but I don't want to spend that much on something that's purely cosmetic. So I was wondering if any of you guys have a used grill that would fit for a more reasonable price? It doesn't have to be perfect, the rest of the tractor isn't, but I kinda like it in it's work clothes anyway.

Thanks!

ollek

Re: Used grill for 990 Selectamatic?

Post by ollek » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:46 pm

The grill is not there only for cosmetic reasons. The grill prevents particles like leafs and straw to be drawn in by the fan, settling on the battery and blocking the radiator. This rubbish will then get damp, resulting in all sorts of problems, starting with voltage draw from the battery and overheating of the engine.

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Still, I'd rather find a used one if I can. New ones would probably look weird on my old weathered rig anyway. :D

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:11 pm

I put flyscreen over mine to keep grass seeds out. Works well and doesn't look too bad. You can't really see the grille behind it. If you didn't mind that look you could use any sort of fine steel mesh for the grille and add the screen.
Attachments
WP_20171208_09_00_46_Pro2.jpg
WP_20171208_09_00_46_Pro2.jpg (217.72 KiB) Viewed 179 times