PTO speed.

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 19/09/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

drsmith

PTO speed.

Post by drsmith » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:26 pm

What PTO speed would be the best to run a Belmac 6ft single rotor topper off a 990 Implematic.High or Low speed pto.

joeproctor

Re: PTO speed.

Post by joeproctor » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 pm

light crop high box,heavy crop low box and low gear!

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 am

Definitely 540 RPM at I think it is 1900 RPM other wise you will burn your clutch

drsmith

Post by drsmith » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks i just wanted to know opinions of what other users would say and their experiences.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 pm

There's no way that a 990 will be happy (or even able) to run a 6ft topper at the correct 540 speed in the 1000 setting, it's far too much load for that engine to cope at such low revs.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:18 am

up arrow2.png
up arrow2.png (445 Bytes) Viewed 765 times
What he said. plus every time you turn on the headland the revs will drop and when you go back in again the speed won't be there. In 51 years of owning DBs I can honestly say, after trying it on fert. spreaders, haymaking machines, i.e. low HP requirements, the only time I have ever used 2 speed PTO has been on a sawbench.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:51 am

Wherever possible the high speed should be selected on the tractor PTO and the appropriate speed reduction made on the implement ( rotavators, power harrows etc ) This reduces the pressures on the telescopic drive shaft.
The availability of the two speed PTO was a big selling feature on DBs in the 1960s when other tractor manufacturers were experiencing shafts being pushed into the tractor gearbox.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:25 am

Good luck with rotavating when using 1000 rpm on the P.T.O. I've owned 70", 80" and now 100" Howard rotavators as well as Kuhn power harrows in my contracting and farming business and using 1000 rpm doesn't work. :shock:
Last edited by Scooby on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:07 am

The appropriate gears had to be installed on the implement, not just selecting a lower speed. If the implement was supplied with gearing for another make of tractor, using high speed PTO did not work. The objective was to reduce the strain on the drive train, not the engine. I am referring to 1960s equipment

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:06 pm

But if an implement was desigend for working at 1000rpm and had the gearing accordingly then it was a fine splined shaft at the input end and DBs couldn't handle those until late in the day when the reversible shaft appeared.
ImageImage

Gard

Post by Gard » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:02 pm

I have a 990 with a 5' brush hog, if the grass is not too tall or thick I can run with high speed on the PTO and low speed on the engine. If the engine bogs down I switch to PTO low speed and high engine speed, In both cases I am keeping the PTO RPM at 540 max.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:50 pm

As Gard says, it is all about what the engine can manage when it comes to torque. If the implement requires a certain PTO speed, you have to match that. If "hig gear" PTO puts too much strain on the engine, you downshift and use higher engine speed in "low gear" PTO. Most tractor engines have fairly flat torque vs speed diagrams, but it may be better to run the engine with some "headroom", i.e. not go for full power att low RPM, but rather let it run "lighter" at higher RPM.