885 lift

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 19/09/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Dano41

885 lift

Post by Dano41 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:45 pm

When I tested the lift before I bought it the worked well but it was only me standing on a nine hole bar .It won't lift two people.Where would you start to solve this issue?

Lofty

Re: 885 lift

Post by Lofty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for link lofty.Is there a link to trouble shooting this problem or a list of steps that you would check first?Is it possible that an oil and filter change could solve the problem or should I be starting somewhere else?In order for my lift to rise I have to push the quadrant lever fully forward is this correct?

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:56 am

No, back to raise. There’s a diagnostic guide in the link.

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Did a bit more searching,my lift only a light load in TUC with leaver fully forward away from driver.One of the causes I have read is spool valve stuck in open/ lower position.How hard a fix is this?

SteveCollett

Post by SteveCollett » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Have you tried it in the other positions, will it lift if the lever is pulled right back?
TCU is only supposed to give a limited amount of lift

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:30 pm

It won't lift in the other positions.Found this post viewtopic.php?t=4753 and was going to try what erkki suggests.There is a dump valve on my tractor which goes through the small cover above the spool valve,is it just a matter of removing the two nuts holding the cover or how is the dump valve disconnected?After cleaning thoroughly I removed the metal cover at back which you can see in pic. the sensing unit cable is not connected, should the lift still work properly with this disconnected?Is the fork and steel bar that erkki is talking about in below where the sensing cable is attached?
Attachments
IMG_3231.jpg
IMG_3231.jpg (101.72 KiB) Viewed 874 times
IMG_3233.jpg
IMG_3233.jpg (192.82 KiB) Viewed 874 times

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:01 am

The following link shows the parts involved. https://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-s ... 7ar1289766 The parts Erkki is referring to are the Selector fork (ref nr 19) and Rocker lever (ref 25) The rear end of the rocker lever is in contact with the bottom flange on the spool valve. The spool valve is lifted by the rocker lever and moves down with a spring. The spool valve total movement is about 2,5 mm (100 thou). The depth control will not work when the cable is disconnected, but height control and tcu/external are not affected.

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Up and running thanks for the help folks.Ollek that is a usefull link as well.Lifts very quickly with my pto table saw attached which is very heavy.After it reaches height it drops very slightly 1/4 of an inch and then rises again and will repeat this,any thoughts of the cause of this?

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:34 pm

What you have is something called "hiccup" and the reason is a leaking hold valve or a dump valve. It can also be a leaking lift cylinder. If your tractor has a 3-way valve, lift a load fully up, stop the engine and move the 3-way valve lever to position 1 or 2. The linkage will leak down if there is a leakage in the lift cylinder.

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:26 pm

ollek tried the the three way valve in position 1 and 2 and the the table saw very slowly drops down.Does this mean that the problem is 100% the lift cylinder and not some of the other valves as well.How big a job is changing the seals in the cylinder?I have a pdf workshop manual for the 885 are there a few different workshop manuals for the 885?I have read on other threads that some people live with the hi-cup ,in my case it is very slight but the implement will drop down.

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:47 am

Yes, the problem is th3e lift cylinder if the load drops down with the 3-way valve in position 1 or 2. A small leak can be ignored, and a lot of people live with it. Keeping the implement lifted up with the engine off it not a good practice, as any hydraulic system can fail at any time. You would not go under a car that is supported only with a hydraulic jack. Let the load down to the ground before you leave the tractor.