990 Selectamatic hydraulic problems

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

travismikula

990 Selectamatic hydraulic problems

Post by travismikula » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 am

Hi everybody! I am new to the forum. I just bought a 1966 David Brown 990 Selectamatic with a FEL with 1460 hours on it. I'm the third owner. The tractor runs great and the transmission seems very solid. The shifter goes deep into gear. The 2 stage clutch and the PTO also work great. I have read quite a bit that it's common to have hydraulic problems with the lift arms and this tractor is no exception. I'm not going into this completely blind. I have found on line and printed off the instruction book and hydraulic system manual. But I would like the advice of a seasoned DB expert to help me trouble-shoot my issues if I could. The transmission/hydraulic fluid looks like milk with a little coffee in it, so I know I'll have to replace all the fluid and filter, but I have a feeling that's not going to fix the problem, and I don't know if I should change it before or after addressing the other issues I have.

Here's what I know so far.......The front end loader is a David Brown and I have no reason to believe it wasn't on there when it was bought new, but the previous owner told me that the loader was very slow and so he unhooked the supply line from port 1 on the 3-way valve on the left side of the seat and hooked it to the B port on the double-acting live control valve just to the right of the seat. With the supply coming from there, the loader works great but that took one of the lines away from my remote, so now I can only operate a single-acting cylinder. I would like to hook that line back up to my 3-way valve, the way it's supposed to be, so that I could use my remotes for double-acting functions, but of course I want my loader to work well. I know that the "A" port on that live remote valve works because when I shift the lever on it, the engine labors trying to pump to the remote (that has nothing hooked up to it). When I was looking at that 3-way valve I noticed that it doesn't seem to reach all the detents. It goes into position "1" and "2" just fine. It goes into "L" a little bit but feels like it wouldn't stay there. It doesn't even get close to going all the way to position "1/L". From what I've read, it looks like I would want that valve in the "1/L" position so I can run my loader and the 3-point at the same time. I don't want to push on it too hard and break something. Is the spool on that valve clogged or sticking? Do I need to take it apart and clean it?

I can't seem to get the lift arms to work although I haven't been able to do to much with them because my lever seems to have been bent too many times over the years so it bends very easily, and feels like it will break off. I need to find a replacement or re-enforce it somehow. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement lever, please let me know.

I also noticed that the lowering speed adjustment knob for the 3-point doesn't seem to work right. When I turn it CCW, it reaches a point where the knob stops turning, but when I turn it CW, I think I could turn it all day without reaching a stop. How far should that knob turn?

So, I guess I'm not sure where I should start. I don't want to tear into a valve only to find out that I should have worked on this other valve first, you know? And I don't want to replace all the hydraulic fluid if it's just all going to run back out when I work on the valves or replace a hose. Any help would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks!
Travis
990-1.jpg
990-1.jpg (93.7 KiB) Viewed 2726 times

ollek

Re: 990 Selectamatic hydraulic problems

Post by ollek » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:07 am

No, you can not use the 3-point hitch and the front loader at the same time, having the 3-way valve in position 1/L. This is a position that was used with some very old rear mounted farm equipment's. Use position L for operating the 3-point hitch and position 1 for operating the loader. Please change the oil and the filter before you do anything else. It is also a good idea to flush the transmission with diesel fuel. Milky oil shows that there is water in the oil and this effects the function of all valves in the hydraulic system. The reason for slow loader operation with the oil supply connected to the 3-way valve, is most likely because of sticking and dirty valves in the valve chest. All relating back to the watery and dirty transmission oil.

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Ollek! Can I just use multi-purpose hydraulic-trans fluid? Where can I get a filter for it? I've seen where people suggest to flush it out with diesel fuel. How do I "flush it out"? just dump diesel fuel in the fill plug and let it run through, or do I run it that way for a little while, or what?

Thanks!
Travis

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Lower the 3-point hitch fully and poor diesel fuel into the transmission to the normal oil level and drive the tractor without any load over bumpy ground for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not use the hydraulics when there is diesel in the transmission. Then drain the fuel, change the filter and fill the transmission with new oil. The best oil to use is a mineral oil based UTTO, SAE 10W30 (or 15W-30), GL 4. Please remember to open both the drain plug under the transmission and the plug under the rear axle. Ask your local Case IH dealer if they can supply the hydraulic filter. Your tractor is a early Selectamatic and because of that, the tractor can have a by-pass filter on top of the rear axle on the left hand side. If the tractor has a by pass filter, then there is a washable suction screen under the transmission. Later tractors have a changeable full flow suction filter in stead of the suction screen and no by pass filter. I also recommend you to obtain a Operators Manual as soon as possible. The manual will give important information's on how to correctly maintain and use your tractor.

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks again Ollek! I do have an owners manual and I did find where it talked about the magnetic screen filter. I do have the bypass filter on the left side of the seat so I must have the washable one underneath. I ordered some of those bypass filters on Amazon. I’m going to change that fluid ASAP.

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:38 pm

The only oils I can find that say anything about GL-4 are SUPER thick, like 80W90. That's even doing a search online. Any other options? I don't know where to get this stuff.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:22 pm

One oil of the suggested type is this:
http://www.tritechlubricants.com/dev/wp ... ITRANS.pdf
There must be something similar where you live.

Oils that are GL-4 and 80/90 viscosity are gear oils (e.g. differentials and manual gearboxes). The system for noting viscosity is different between gear oils and other oils ("thickness" is the same but the numbers differ). I suggest you go for a UTTO.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Do not use SAE 80/90 in a Selectamatic gear box. Use STOU SAE 10W-30, GL-4 and if you can not get it, use UTTO 10W-30, GL-4. All dealers in US selling oils for agricultural use, have UTTO for sale.

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Thank you very much for the replies, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to find these oils you guys are recommending. I can't find anything here in the US that matches these oil designations. I'm scared to death that I'm going to buy something that will ruin my tractor. I've called 2 different Case dealerships and they don't have UTTO or STOU, and didn't even sayt that they could get it for me. The last guy I talked to in the service department at a dealer recommended universal hydraulic fluid, which I've been told not to use!! Can anyone here in the US help me?? I don't know what to buy and I don't know anything about oil. The word universal seems to mean anything but. Thanks!

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:40 pm

where in the usa are you?

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:41 pm

N.W. Wisconsin

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Here is a link to a UTTO oil made by Shell. You must have Shell oils in the US. http://tdc.ge/wp-content/uploads/2014/0 ... S4_TXM.pdf You must NOT use a plain hydraulic oil in your tractor transmission. Transmission brake down will be the result if you do. Case and Case IH want to sell there own transmission / hydraulic oil, called Hytran, and they do not stock anything else. Why don't you Google UTTO and see what you get.

travismikula

Post by travismikula » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:27 pm

I have Googled UTTO and have not come up with anything I can buy locally. The local tractor supply store does carry Shell Rotella HD tractor hydraulic and transmission oil. Will this do? It doesn't say what weight it is. It does list GL-4. Here are the specs....

Specifications
Package Weight: 36.79 lb
Container Type: HDPE Bottle
High Mileage Formula: No
Green Seal Certified: No
Flash Point: 220 C
Oil Composition: Conventional
Oil Type: ATF
Package Size (oz): 640
Pour Point (Degrees C): -42 C
Standards: Allison C4 type fluids
SAE J306 85W
Case new Holland MAT-3525, M2C-134 A-D, FNHA-2-D.201.00
John Deere JDM-J20C
Masset-Ferguson M1143,M1145
Volvo WB 101, Transmission Oil 97303.015
ZF TE-ML 03E, 05F, 06D, 06K, 06M, 06N, 06R, 17E, 21F
Catepillar TO-2(obsolete)
Komatysu- recommended for use in certain construction equipment
Clark
Also recommended for use in Case equipment where fluids meeting MS-1207, 1209, or 1210 are specified
API GL-4
Type: Trans-Hydraulic
Size: 5 Gallon

rid54

Post by rid54 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:31 pm

At the bottom of this page

http://www.tribology-abc.com/abc/viscosity.htm

is a comparison of different viscosity notations.

An oil with the specification "ATF" might not be suitable; these oils are mostly associated with automatic transmissions. What the tractor needs is a gear oil (GL-4 is a specification of the friction-fighting additives in the oil) which also serves as hydraulic fluid. Viscosity "80" for a gear oil is similar to "30" in an engine oil, so an 80-oil is not that "thick".

1952CROPMASTER

Post by 1952CROPMASTER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi Travis;
Just visit your local Walmart store & pick up two 5gal pails of TDH Oil (Transmission, Differential Hydraulic) before you do anything, do what Ollek suggested, flush out the Hyd/Transmission with Diesel, It's pretty near impossible to get all the old Oil & Water out of the Transmission area, especially when you have a loader, it may take you several attempts to get it completely flushed clean, when you get your 3-P-H working properly, i would suggest that you get yourself a Power-Beyond-Plate installed on top of your Remote Valve & connect the Loader to it, this will make operating your Loader, 3-P-H & Remotes much simpler, you can leave your 3-way valve in place & if you ever wanted to use i single Hyd flow you can use it, you leave in in the "L" position for your 3-P-H to work
Hope this helps you
from Canada