Looking for advice on seized parts on 885

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

bedwards1966

Re: Looking for advice on seized parts on 885

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:30 pm

Heating until red then quenching in water is very effective, the sudden cooling cracks rust. It's not something I like doing on steering parts as it's not very good for the metal, but I highly doubt that it'd ever be an issue on something like this as they're well made.

Another trick is to repeatedly tap the tube where the part is threaded (with it cold) preferably with it against something solid at the other side of the part. Keep tapping and work round it as you go and it can break the rust.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:22 am

Very happy for your progress, as for the tie rod ends it will be a case, yet again, of persistence. The poor bloke who went to do the wheel alignment on our Lorry had all the Lanox you could spray on them both and then a huge pair of stillsons with a 4 foot length of pipe on the end of that. He did manage to move it and got it very close to what it needed to be before I took pity on the poor fella and said that is close enough mate, tighten it up.

Kent_885

Post by Kent_885 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:47 am

Well I found a way to get the track rod ends off - and attached is a photo that may help someone else. It's very difficult to grip anything on the ends so I welded up a box section with a slot around the taper fitting. Then welded a big nut on the top. I grip the track rod in a big vice that luckily has a pipe grip inside the vice to hold really firm. Then I used my impact wrench on it. The impact wrench broke them free with a lot of effort - that thing produces 1600 Nm of breakaway torque so fair to say that I was never going to get them out manually!

I would imagine a contractor who does this a lot must have a similar piece of tooling as there doesn't seem any other way to get badly seized ends out.

No amount of heating or penetrating sprays had any joy before that.
Track rod end.JPG
Track rod end.JPG (115.39 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

Gard

Post by Gard » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 pm

nice job on the fixture, thanks for shareing

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:53 am

Yes, nice work and thanks for sharing. now the repair can go ahead.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:39 am

i have never known those joints to be that tight,but i would have ground one side of the joint away to expose the threads or worst cut with the burning knozzle close then grind the rest,both the heat and cutting off the surplus metal will ease the thread anyway!

when you fit the new joint use valve grinding paste to help screw it on then remove and clean and refit with grease !

Kent_885

Post by Kent_885 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:34 am

Not sure if the picture shows it correctly (I guess it looks liked I've welded the metal onto the tie end) but the fitting I made causes no damage at all to the tie end or rod. It just fits snugly against the flat back face if the tie end - just like a big socket - with a slot for the taper. It just slips on and off. I was able to get them out without any damage at all to anything - just enabled me to use the power of the impact wrench to free them.

The internal extension track rods were just as seized. Don't think they had moved in 40 years. Because the impact wrench was so successful on the tie ends I welded some metal legs to the rod, then a top with a nut on very similar to the picture and the impact wrench was able to shift them out by rotating them back and forth until loose. Then just used my angle grinder to remove the welded metal and once again nothing really damaged.

In the process of of researching the best penetrating fluids I saw that ATF and acetone was mentioned a few times as a wonder mix so gave it a go. Soaked the parts heavily for 3 days or more and nothing. Also tried penetrating oil, paraffin, PlusGas and WD 40. And a load of blow torching. Nothing worked but the impact wrench was brilliant.