Looking for advice on seized parts on 885

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Kent_885

Looking for advice on seized parts on 885

Post by Kent_885 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:58 pm

Hoping those with more experience than me can help out. My 885 has a seized brake lever on the differential side and I want to get the brake lever off so that I can remove the cam and fully lubricate it and renew the external dust excluder and internal O ring which I have already purchased. First task I have tried is to remove the cotter pin from the brake lever that sits outside the drum. This is totally solid and I don't want to hammer the threaded end too much in case I flatten the thread. It will not shift at all and looks totally seized in there.

Has anyone managed to get this pin out after finding it seized up? Any advice much appreciated.

I also need to widen the front axle beam as the tie rod is hitting my front ballast frame. Thanks to a new impact wrench I did finally get two very seized cap screws out but the beam is totally seized inside the axle frame and I cannot budge it at all.

I suspect that along with cotter pin this has never been touched for 30 years and really stuck for ideas on both.

Really hoping someone has overcome similar issues and offer some advice as they are driving me nuts!

db2d

Re: Looking for advice on seized parts on 885

Post by db2d » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:08 pm

New pins are available from. davidbrownparts.com
There is not an easy method of removing the cotterpin. Use a heavy drift and lump hammer and hit it hard.

Kent_885

Post by Kent_885 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's where I got my brakes shoes and seals from so I guess it's a case of hitting it really hard and then if it ruins then so be it. At the moment getting it out at all seems really unlikely as it seems to be as solid as a rock.

On the axle beam it is really tough to know how to get any outward force - as I can't risk damaging the spindle.

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:18 pm

You might wish to heat the tapered pin after unscrewing the nut so it is proud of the pin by one thread.Then hit the nut hard with a short drift and 2lb hammer.
To free the beam ,support the inner axle beam with a metal block and then strike down the outer section to break the wedge grip.Outward force will not achieve the object.
Hope this helps.AJK.

Kent_885

Post by Kent_885 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:02 am

Many thanks for the reply and advice Alan. Will heat the cotter pin as you advise. Quite difficult to get much heat on the pin itself but then I think I also need a bigger hammer!

On the beam I'm on the narrowest setting at the moment with nothing protruding beyond the outer casing. Can you please help me with what you suggest in the way of supporting the inner beam - I obviously don't want to risk the spindle bearings and hub - but this seems to be the only place I could put an axle stand?

Thanks again.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:59 am

Railway Talk deems "the bigger the problem the bigger the hammer", and that has worked well for years, on trains. But it ill help you out.

Kent_885

Post by Kent_885 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:15 am

Alan until you mentioned the wedge shape of the axle beam I hadn't noticed that this is how it grips. The user manual just casually states that you need to take out both cap screws and then just move it to the desired position. Actually having just looked at it the inner beam is wedged upwards into the outer case so I wonder if you meant to support the outer beam and strike down on the inner to break the wedge. Does seem that way but looks like the only place to hit down on the inner section is on top of the spindle/steering arm nut. Not sure if that is wise or not?
Thanks

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:20 am

I probably worded my advice badly.Sorry for that. Apply the heat to the round area of the lever through which the tapered pin passes.Once black hot ,then use the drift and 2lb hammer as advised.It has to be that size.Amything smaller will not do the job.
Re,the front axle, support the inner ,fabricated ,trunnion mounted axle mount and then ,if the half axle is fully inboard ,whack the top of the spindle retaining bolt.If you have a big hardwood block to rest on the bolt and a 7lb P post knocking hammer to whack it,so much the better.
Finally,when removing the diff side final drive reduction unit,always tie down the diff lock pedal.Big trouble lies ahead if this is not done.Hope this helps.AJK.

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:27 am

Sorry again,we are a cross purposes.The inner axle I am referring to is the outer fabricated unit which is inboard ,mounted on the trunnion pin and contains the outer half axle which mounts the spindle/stub axle.Hope this helps.Good luck.AJK.

Kent_885

Post by Kent_885 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks Alan - I understand now and am in sync with inner and outer! Maybe I am just too scared to damage the beam and spindle and not hitting it hard enough but it feels like am really whacking it with a great big lump hammer. Not even a mm of movement - 30 to 40 years of rust, dirt and probably fertiliser or something means that's it wedged super tight. I will beat a retreat for the moment and work up the confidence to get a post sledge hammer or something but genuinely scared to ruin the spindle!

Thanks again for your help though. Will let you know next time I crack on with it

ALANJ

Post by ALANJ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:42 pm

One final point, if you have some hard,bumpy private land ,or the use of, and some time to waste on a long,long shot, you might wish to slacken off the retaining bolts three turns apiece and take a ride over the said bumps.Fingers crossed .Don,t get your hopes up but nothing to lose.Good luck.AJK.

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:19 pm

slacken off the retaining bolts a couple of turns,jack up the axle off the ground and hit the bolts a good square shot with a sledge.

Kent_885

Post by Kent_885 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Well if anyone hasn’t sworn enough lately or hasn’t enough frustration if their life I recommend trying to extract the axle beam on an 885. Eight hours,2 family sized tins of WD40, full size tin of butane and more hitting with a hammer than seems possible and finally got it out. It battled me for every mm.
The user manual states that you simply undo the 2 cap screws and extend it. Bit like saying follow the footpath to the top of Everest.
30 to 40 years of crud had it virtually welded into the wedge shape.
Hit the cap screws, heated with a butane torch and squirted endless Wd40. Started at 11am. Finished at 7pm.
Thanks for all the tips. Gave me the confidence to keep going.

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 pm

congrats nothing beats keepatitness.

Kent_885

Post by Kent_885 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Deep joy. Declared victory on the axle beam, set it out to the new position and then went to adjust the tie bar and that thing is probably even more seized than any other part on the whole tractor. Have torched one tie end outer thread until it glows but nothing doing.
Anybody have any experience with freeing up th parts on it - be grateful for any top tips
Thanks