Db25 won't run?

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER - Please be aware that any views expressed or advice given on the Forum are purely the opinion of the relevant poster. The David Brown Tractor Club Ltd does not endorse any of the views expressed, or advice thus given. Forum Visitors should be aware that any action they may take as a result of such information is taken at their own risk.

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 19/09/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Ajax123

Db25 won't run?

Post by Ajax123 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:34 pm

I'm hoping something reasonably simple. I got the tractor out to help bed with a bit of tree clearing but...grrr!

My petrol tvo 25 fires up and starts fine but cuts out after a minute or so as if the fuel is not getting through. It was running fine when I bought it but it has been laid up in the garage for several weeks apart from running it found the field once for 10 minutes about 6 weeks ago. I have not got it onto tvo yet which gives an idea of how little I have run it. The fact it starts suggests it isn't electrical. I did notice some gunk in the bottom of the fuel glass bowl and there is an in line fuel filter in the fuel line. It needs choke to start but that is normal. I'm thinking perhaps mucky fuel issue?? What do you think, bear in mind I am a tractor novice and haven't messed around with engines since the advent of fuel injectors... I used to do my own servicing and such likes. Could it be just mucky fuel or does it sound like a carb issue?

ollek

Re: Db25 won't run?

Post by ollek » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:55 pm

There shouldn't be any gunk in the fuel glass if the fuel system is clean. The only place the gunk can come from is the fuel tank and from the pipe between the tank and the fuel glass. Perhaps there has been some running problems before, and the previous owner have then fitted a in line filter before the lift pump, thinking that this would take care of the problem. And it will work somehow until the inline filter is filled up with gunk. Clean the tank and all components in the fuel system. Please note that you may find the same kind of gunk in the carburettor as well. Old fuel can scale and block fuel lines and the carburettor.

Ajax123

Post by Ajax123 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Us that's what i thought. Yes I suspect there was an issue before. No time to work on it right now so will have to deal with it later. I guess is not has been laid up with not much fuel in the tank can rust a little...

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:49 pm

In line with Olleks suggestions I advise draining both fuel tanks and removing the fuel pipes to the fuel tap/ sediment bowl. Sediment does settle in the bend of these pipes and become hard causing a blockage. The short pipe connections under the tank can also become restricted. The fuel tap passageways can be checked and cleaned after removing the lock nuts and tension spring at the rear of the changeover switch. There is a gauze filter above the sediment bowl sealing ring and also in the banjo bolt connecting the fuel line onto the carburettor.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:02 pm

I am not certain about DB fuel tanks, but in some systems there is a sort of coarse net/gauze type of dirt trap inside the tank, where the fuel line is terminated. If there are flakes or particular matter in the tank, it may congregate around this point and cause a fuel flow obstruction under certain circumstances.

ollek

Post by ollek » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:32 pm

There are no net or filters fitted to the suction pipe in a David Brown fuel tank.

Ajax123

Post by Ajax123 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Ok... so my saga continues. Bought a cheap fuel filter and installed just to get it going having charged the battery... all reasonably good so far. Have i think found the books I need to be able to dismantle and reassemble the fuel system to clean it out.

Managed to start it bytbrunnibg lumpy as heck. Got it to my garage so successful so far. Awaiting delivery of the books but noticed an odd thing. Oil pressure running at about 60. Is this right. The 3pt lift lifts slowly as the engine turns over and starts. It will drop in the lever but then doesn't seem to want to lift again...

Think I now need to drain and change the oil at both ends and then install my hydraulic take off valve but looks like this tractor that was to bemybworkhorse and saviour us going to become a refurb hobby...

Any suggestions as to what might be happening with the lift... low oil pressure? It was all fine when bought it at Christmas... I did takevtge cover plate off where I am to put the hydraulic take off valve to check the banjo connection which all looks fine. I then put the cover plate back on

Sorry for all the whining questions but I'm very much learning...

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:43 am

With my 30C TVO it too ran rough and after taking apart the carby, cleaning it and re assemble it was not a lot better. Then I stripped it again and found that most of the surfaces of the carby were distorted. So I sat down with a thick piece of glass and some wet n dry paper and smoothed all the surfaces. This made a big difference but there was room for improvement. That was when I looked at the throttle shaft. There are needle rollers the shaft runs on and felt washers. My washers were almost non existent so out with a wad punch and two new ones put in place. Now I can actually tune the engine to run very well. I too have fitted some inline fuel filters for a while until they stopped getting rust in them, now I have a small motor bike one in place out of sight and no more problems from either tank.
I have just now changed the oil in the gearbox/diff and PTO as mine kept getting water in there and it would go very milky. So dropped it all again even took the bottom drain cover off and checked the brass wire filter which was fine and flushed some diesel around inside. Let it drain for a day or so and then put new oil back in. As my tractor is stored under cover except for possibly a week in a year this hopefully will not get water in it again. I also fitted some very tight fitting rubber boots over the gear levers to box to stop entry there and a felt washer soaked in oil on the dip stick that also has been sealed with silicone. That is because the dip stick is bent over and back onto itself to make a round stick but water could go down the split.
I am not too sure but if the filter mentioned before is blocked that wont help your 3 point linkage. But it also may need to be adjusted properly to make it work as designed.
Like me if you don't ask questions we don't learn.

tomryall

Post by tomryall » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:24 pm

The felt seal between the gearbox cover the clutch cover is very important on all pre implematic tractors as water and dirt can get in there if it is missing or old and hard or cracked .

Ajax123

Post by Ajax123 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:58 pm

That’s interesting cos a chunk of that ( I think it was that) came away in my hand on Saturday. It was detached and very wet but I think the main deal is still intact. Does this being damaged cause a loss of hydraulic pressure?

Ajax123

Post by Ajax123 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Can't decide whether to kick myself or just laugh out loud... the Mrs said "should that round stucky out wheel thing be going round" (her exact words) meaning the pto and belt drive wheel... I thought...oh bu@@er... at least I now know the hydraulics are fine... lol

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:29 am

I think that the PTO belt drive is shaft driven not hydraulic. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The felt seal should be complete and new felt is readily available to replace the old hard felt. It is fun to put it all back in place and make it seal again as you have to compress the felt and get the gearbox top cover to fit behind the flywheel cover and then align the bolts and gasket for the bolt holes.

Ajax123

Post by Ajax123 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:07 am

You Are rjght the belt drive is shaft driven but operates with the pto. I assume the drive that operates the pto shaft drives the hydraulic pump so the 3pt lift don't work if the pto is disengaged... it was disengaged when i noted the problem with the lift but i had not noticed... it had been a very long day...

ollek

Post by ollek » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:43 am

I am of the opinion that the hydraulic pump in tractors before the Implematic, had a pump fitted I front of the gear box. The drive to the pump is taken from the input shaft to the gear box and will rotate if the clutch pedal is up. Pressing the clutch pedal down will stop the hydraulic pump, gear box and the pto at the same time.

Ajax123

Post by Ajax123 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:49 pm

You could be right ollek.... my knowlege is somewhat hampered by the fact i know nothing about tracgors. I am learning slowly but since I forgot that the pto has to be engaged for the tpl to operate I am not hopeful... lol 😂