1390 cutting out after a minute or so

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Alchad

1390 cutting out after a minute or so

Post by Alchad » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi all,

Long time since I posted on here but got a problem on which I would welcome advice.

Last two or 3 times I've started my 1390 over the past couple of weeks it's stopped after a minute or so. I usually manage to get it going after bleeding the fuel system. However a couple of days ago it stopped again and no amount of bleeding would get her going again.

Yesterday in desparation I drained down the tanks and removed the balance tube to check for any dirt accumulation in there - wasn't any. Also disconnected fuel supply line to the lift pump and blew through - all clear. Refilled with diesel, bled through to the injector and eventually got it started - for 2 minutes then stopped!!

I'm tending to think it might be an issue with the fuel filters as a couple of minutes could be the amount of fuel in the filters?? Lift pump must be working OK as it pumps through to the filters.

I've got a couple of new filters on order but not sure when they'll get here given the conditions.

Just wondered if my reasoning was sound, or any other suggestion as to what could be causing the problem?

Thanks

Alchad

PS Diesel not waxing.

ollek

Re: 1390 cutting out after a minute or so

Post by ollek » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:08 pm

One of the first things to do if a diesel engine stops is to change the fuel filters and clean the screen in the lift pump. This is a normal service task that has to be done before any problems arise and according to information's given in the Operators Manual. Any other possibilities for the engine stopping are to be checked only after the new filters have been fitted and the screen cleaned.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:15 pm

When bleeding do you operate the lift pump by the hand lever? If there is a good flow through the filters (I assume you bleed the injection pump as well), the filters arent't totally clogged up. Does the lift pump deliver enough fuel as it is operated by the engine? Some such pumps are operated by a pushrod from a cam/excenter on the camshaft, and the pushrod may be worn too short, giving the lift pump mechanism too little movement.

Alchad

Post by Alchad » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:49 pm

Thanks guys,

Just had another go. Actually removed a fuel filter to have a look - I know it's probably impossible to tell just by looking at them whether they are clogged or not, but didn't look too bad and made me feel I'd at least checked.

Replaced filter and bled through again. Tried starting again and this time started and ran without stopping after a minute. Used it for half an hour or so and ran fine.

Haven't done anything different as far as I can see, so a bit puzzled but hopefully sorted and as i said, two new filters on order so will install them anyway.

Thanks again,

Alchad

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi Alchad. Long time - no chat ! My first thought is ice somewhere in the system that has frozen and with your efforts and the weather (been quite mild here today) the ice has gone back to water and is allowing the diesel through. Is there a fuel bowl on a 1390 ? Is/was there any water in it ? Just my two pennorth.
Image Image

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 pm

I would pull off the lift pump and measure the length of the push rod, I've had similar troubles and a worn rod (and cam lobe) were the culprit.
I think the correct length of the rod is 33mm, though others will know for certain.
A couple of millimetres of wear can make the machine extremely unreliable and cause a lot of frustration.