880 Selectamatic

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

dartmoor880

880 Selectamatic

Post by dartmoor880 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:22 am

Hello, my first post on here, hoping to join the club soon.
I just acquired an 880 Selectamatic, its a 1970 model which had been lying unused for several years parked in a barn on a farm in North Devon.
Obviously being stood for some time, it is going to need some work, but everything seems to be there, it is pretty much original and straight with a bit of tin worm here and there, but not as bad as many i have seen.
Since getting it home I have had it running, it starts,runs, moves and stops, i have yet to drain the milky white oil from the hydraulic system and hopefully get it all functioning again, no doubt i will be asking for advice from those on here with more knowledge of DB hydraulics than i have!

The only other problem i have so far identified is that it jumps out of second gear as soon as the clutch is released, it will not stay in second. Before i take the gearbox top of to have a look, i wonder if anyone has on thoughts on what may be causing the problem?
It was a loader tractor so i expect the gearbox had had lots of abuse.

Its some time since i did much work on any tractors, the 880 is one of my retirement projects (quickly approaching), but i am not a complete novice, i spent much of my childhood on the seat of an 880, 990 and various other red and blue tractors and started my working life in the mid seventies as an apprentice at a Massey Ferguson dealership, later during most of the 80's, working directly for the MF training department at Stoneleigh and deployed overseas to install tractors and train local mechanics, mostly in Africa and the middle east.
Roger.

ollek

Re: 880 Selectamatic

Post by ollek » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:16 pm

The reason for the gear jump out is most likely obvious when you have removed the gear box top. I think tat some of the gears are damaged as the gears have been changed with the clutch shaft still rotating.

dartmoor880

Post by dartmoor880 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 am

Ollek thanks, i will take the top off and take a look when i get some time.
Just thinking ahead, i am guessing that gearbox parts may no longer be readily available and if the damage is serious, that i may be better trying to source another box from a breaker?
Are all the 6 speed 880 transmissions interchangeable? or in case i do need to source a replacement, will it have to be from the same year (1970)?
Thanks

dartmoor880

Post by dartmoor880 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Can anyone advise me on availability of spares for an 880 selectamatic 6 speed gearbox, are there any dealers in the UK who still have stocks of these sort of parts? or would my best option be a breaker?
Not even sure what i might need yet until i get it apart, but just thinking ahead.
Thanks Roger.

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:27 pm

There are no new gears available but new bearings are easily obtained. As Ollek indicates, teeth on a number of gears are probably worn away because of poor driving skills. Six speed 880 gearboxes can be obtained from a breaker and fitted as a complete unit or dismantled for parts.

dartmoor880

Post by dartmoor880 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:32 pm

db2d thanks, i guessed as much, but like you say bearings should be available from most bearing stockists.
I will see where i go once i get the top off and take a look, probably easier to try to source a complete unit from a breaker.
Long time since i split a tractor, probably much easier to do when i was 20!