990a crankcase pressure

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

bel

Re: 990a crankcase pressure

Post by bel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:11 am

went through that with pickup head full overhaul sent head in resurfaced reseated valves not new ones. on first start up valve head broke off busted piston and cracked block not a good short cut to take

bel

Post by bel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:18 am

im guessing before getting overhaul kit I need to mike crank and rod jernals. I rebuilt this engine about 25 years ago think I was able to put rear crank seal in.either that or I didn't replace it. you can put it in without separating tractor right just doing in frame

ollek

Post by ollek » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:44 am

No you can not get to the crankshaft rear oil seal with the engine in the frame. You have to remove the clutch and the flywheel before doing the crank rear seal and this involves splitting of the tractor.

bel

Post by bel » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:11 pm

ok men
found no 1 rod bearing wiped out didn't get into rod but bearing is chewed up.worse than that crank on that journal is scored. so its split the tractor and replace crank and clutch while im in there and complete overhaul.just cost verses what tractor is worth now.thinking of giving up.need some input

bel

Post by bel » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:46 pm

also with these problems timing gears are off. rotated crankshaft gears have one punch mark on one side,two punch marks on other side couldn't get them to line up on cam or injector pump no where close. still doesn't explain crank case pressure.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:04 pm

I'm not the person to help on the timing, except to say that you might find that the timing marks only line up once in a certain number of revolutions which if you aren't aware of can lead to a lot of grief.

It may be a lot of work on an old tractor, but the way I look at it is this:
1. They are brilliant machines which still perform very well, as they're no longer made it's sometimes necessary to put some work into them which is well worth it in the long run. Usually works out cheaper than trying to replace it with something modern which you soon discover is not built very well.

2. Make a good job of the engine then keep it maintained with fresh oil and filters and you can expect not to put a spanner on it for the next 40/50 years. Take the cost of a rebuild against how long it'll last and the numbers are quite favourable.

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:07 pm

can you post some pictures so that we can see what you have damaged and can offer advice accordingly.

bel

Post by bel » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:24 pm

joeproctor,
I will see what I can do about pics haven't posted pics on here before.think im going ahead with overhaul was hoping for a in frame but crankshaft is going to have to be turned.last time I adjusted clutch it was out of adjustment so planning on changing it too.ill try to get pics probably have to get my son to put them on here

db2d

Post by db2d » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:49 pm

There is not a problem with the timing gears. Align the marks after refitting crank.

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Post by cobbadog » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:45 am

I feel it is better to keep the one you know all about as to buying another one that you will possibly have to start from scratch to find its real condition.
When doing our 30C engine I put #1 piston on TDC and marked the timing gears using a centre punch as the single dot on one gear never aligned with the dots on the second gear. From memory in the manual it described the method of setting your cam timing to the crank and right at the end of the description it then said but if they do not align up you may have a different gear in place. I know that when I inspected the gears the small idle gear that went across to the governor was damaged and lead me to believe that a tooth had been chewed up and then the cam gear was replaced using the right size gear but from another engine and did not allow the dots to align. So my punch marks was what I used and it worked a treat.

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:16 am

The timing gear arrangement on a 990 Diesel is different to what is used on a 30C. Remarking the gears is not necessary and in my opinion would introduce confusion.

bel

Post by bel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:03 pm

CrankCase1.pdf
4 photos in one
(125.69 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Here are some pics maybe they will help

bel

Post by bel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:30 am

ok men
the crankshaft journal is scored and is going to have to be turned. the timing marks don't line up anytime but it was running when I started tearing it apart so it has to be close.Ollek is right ive got to get a manuel. if you look at pics of piston heads see the scuff marks on side what do you think caused that? its only on 2 pistons. number 1 rod bearing being out is why piston had slight valve mark on piston but was only in carbon on top of piston didn't hit metal. date code on plate is 9/50 which is early model im assuming it has filter on top of rear end and its a AD4/47.ive never split one before but have everything to do it in a shop.really want to get this back in shape but hoping I don't run into anything else.advice would be appreciated

bel

Post by bel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:36 am

still don't know why it had enough crankcase pressure to blow dipstick out 30 yards from tractor sounded like a shotgun blast

ollek

Post by ollek » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:24 am

Piston blow bye in combination with a completely or partly blocked crank case breather (can be ice, dirt or kinked breather pipe), will blow out the dip stick or the oil filler cap. It will also lead to a oil leak from the rear crankshaft oil seal into the clutch housing. There is nothing strange about this.