885 selectamatic

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Dano41

Re: 885 selectamatic

Post by Dano41 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Its a dynamo but I will be careful.

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Ok folks finally got her home and happy so far.Very easy to start i 10 seconds turning and off she goes, after running for an hour that engine oil is still crystal clear, still don't understand that one.The gears are relatively easy to change but took her down the road for a spin and even at the highest gear setting she doesn't go as fast as 35/135 would this be correct.As I mentioned at start of thread I have no experience of Davey browns and have never had a cab on a tractor before, when I turned the revs up on the road is was noisy ear muff noisy not knocks or bangs,any thoughts on this?

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm

dano41, speed is not the be all and end all (says the man with 12 points)lol the oil is clean because the engine is clean and hope it will stay like that (it may have had a flushing oil through it)
the cab will magnify the noise, dont rev the engine hard find a spot that everything becomes smooth so as if there is no vibration! i was told that when i could hardly see over the steering wheel!
what are you going to use the tractor for?

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Joe.was just trying the tractor out not interested in speed.The tractor will be used with a trailer mainly for timber.I'll run my wood saw and splitter off it as well.

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:48 am

The cold start wing nut is set solid, because it is connected to the pump I want to be careful not to damage any thing.How would you go about freeing it,is it ok to unscrew the next nut up from the wing nut?I presume that if the wing nut is set in the in position there would be black smoke from the exhaust.

philedge

Post by philedge » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:36 pm

If the cold start screw does the same as that on my 880, then it would be running very rough if the screw was screwed in! I'm guessing your screw is stuck in the normalrunning position?? Mine was stuck when I got it and a spray with WD40 and gentle tap with a hammer freed it so it could be turned with pliers. A few twists and a bit more lube and its been free for the last 15 years:)
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:09 pm

I would not recommend dismantling the cold start device in position because there is a very small steel ball inside that can very easily be lost. The unit can safely be removed by unscrewing the largest nut and then dismantled in a vice.
As suggested, try turning the T piece anti clockwise. Seal kits for this unit are only available from davidbrownparts.com

philedge

Post by philedge » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:13 pm

db2d wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:09 pm

As suggested, try turning the T piece anti clockwise.
If its stuck in the normal running position wouldnt it be clockwise to screw it in to the cold start position??
'66 880 Selectamatic rat.

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:48 pm

Turn it clockwise for cold starting. Screw it inwards into the pump,it has a right hand thread.
If it is in the engaged position the engine will be running very erratically. The device works by locking the pump timing in a retarded position.
Last edited by db2d on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 pm

Took out the large nut and got it freed up and back in place.This 885 has a vertical pump,you turn the wing nut in clockwise for cold starting and out for normal running.The engine started easily at around 0c with the wing nut stuck in the out position.Thanks for help.Could someone advise should I keep posting the questions about this tractor on this thread or begin new ones?

db2d

Post by db2d » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:11 pm

To avoid confusion it is definitely advisable to start a new post for different questions.

Oldgustav

Post by Oldgustav » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Dano41 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 pm
Took out the large nut and got it freed up and back in place.This 885 has a vertical pump,you turn the wing nut in clockwise for cold starting and out for normal running.The engine started easily at around 0c with the wing nut stuck in the out position.Thanks for help.Could someone advise should I keep posting the questions about this tractor on this thread or begin new ones?
Hi, I have the same problem with an 885 cold start wing nut that is seized. Did you manage to free it up and did you undo the larger nut (second in) and then take it apart in a vice?
IMG_3864.JPG
IMG_3864.JPG (127.12 KiB) Viewed 890 times