885 selectamatic

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Scooby

Re: 885 selectamatic

Post by Scooby » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Glad to hear that you have started the tractor from cold. That's a good start (if you'll pardon the pun :oops: ) You should probably know at this stage that I am a bit of a doubting Thomas and in this regard I wonder why the engine oil is "spotlessly clean like just out of the can" ? Maybe it was new because the other stuff was milky and would have put people off.

However there is a very positive thing about the tractor and that is the price. You wouldn't buy a 35x or a 135 in that condition for twice that price. But I would still try to have a deal. £1k is a good place to start and if you do actually get it for that could you give me the numbers for this week's Lottery please because you are obviously able to walk on water and Lady Luck is shining a light down on you.

Fixing the seal on the o/s rear is not so much expensive as labour intensive. Unless you are really unlucky oil seals will sort that out but there is a bit of grunt involved.

Testing the hydraulics is a bit moe difficult unless you know how the Selectamatic system is used and then it would be quite easy, certainly for the Height and TCU/External services. Do you have anyone near you with DB knowledge ? There are quite a few chaps on this site from Ireland, it's just finding them that could prove difficult. It could well be money well spent to get someone to go and have a look at it with you and to test the pressure if nothing else.

But I'm still a bit concerned about the engine. Can you give it some work or have a good run up the road on it ?
Last edited by Scooby on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Three is twee, four does snore, but 6 just clicks........Scooby

ollek

Post by ollek » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:08 pm

I had a look at the video, and I got the impression the rev counter shows very low revs (if any) at tic over. The sound from the engine is not good, but listen to a sound that have been recorder outside with a microphone incorporated to the camera can give false information.

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Scooby I don't mind a doubting thomas one bit it is all good info.I drove her round an area about 1/4 the size of a football pitch a few times testing the gears but didn't dip her for oil when I got back.There isn't by any chance a video somewhere of somebody demonstrating how to use the the hydraulics.Unfortunatly there is no Db owner that I know of.
Ollek the rev counter isn't working as are none of the other dials.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Whereabouts in Ireland are you Dano ? Nearest town is good enough. I have a few contacts, I'll see what I can come up with if it will help you. I have no knowledge of a video such as you mentioned. And while an operators manual will help you if it comes to a time when you need to learn how to use the hydraulics but just for testing purposes it would be very difficult for anyone to get their head around it who has no previous knowledge of the Selectamatic system.

If it were me I would concentrate more on the engine and make sure that's O.K. That could be far more expensive to fix than the hydraulics.
ImageImage

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Derry city is the nearest place to me.Anymore suggestions with regards to checking the engine?

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:58 am

As far as checking the engine is concerned I made up an oil pressure tester that I can usually get into most engine blocks where the pressure switch is by using a series of adaptors which I use if the engine relies on a pressure switch with an electrical connection to tell you if the oil pressure is O.K. but you may not want to go that far. You can also start to take injectors out and check the compression but that's not a 5 minute job and might be a bit OTT.

I am a user and not a mechanic, Joe, Ollek, and others will advise you more on this subject than I can.
ImageImage

joeproctor

Post by joeproctor » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:25 pm

the tractor looks in reasonable order not bashed to death,looks like its slept out a lot,engine sounds ok tick over needs raising,do the hydraulics work,brakes ok ,and not a lot of slack in the steering, i think it has the making of a good tractor,there are lots of other things to pay attention but what i have mentioned is a head start,
have you bought the tractor, first job is oils and filters and dont forget the anti freeze very important especially at this time of year!

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Really when buying engines it's a matter of looking at the oil, clean oil is nice to see but makes me wary as it raises the question of why it's been changed? I don't like to see engines overfilled, it's very common but in my opinion indicates shoddy work.
If the oil is milky walk away.

Then look at the coolant with the engine running (don't remove the cap when it's hot though or you could get burnt), there shouldn't be any bubbles (head gasket failure). It should contain antifreeze, plain water is a bad sign.

It should start nicely from cold, any engine that's been warmed up before you arrive could be hiding a serious problem. Some smoke is fine on startup but it should soon clear as the engine warms up. There should be no uneven noises, knocks etc but that takes a practised ear to find unless they're really bad.

An oil pressure tester would tell you a lot about an engine, but I've never taken one to a possible purchase. What I do sometimes take though is a stethoscope, but again unless you know what you're listening for it's not going to help.

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 am

I have made my offer for the tractor so we'll see if he accepts it.As I said in the first post new to Davey browns all the help has been great thank you all.Should have a load more questions if I get her home.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks Dano. Do let us know how you get on please. Good luck.
ImageImage

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:19 pm

Well finally shook hands on the deal tonight £1100.Will get her home some time this week and first thing I'll do is pressure wash her and see what may be hidden.Are there any parts apart from electrics which I could damage or let water in to the when I'm pressure washing.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 am

There are obvious places to look for when contemplating pressure washing, the most likely places are the air cleaner (I don't know if the 885 has an exterior mushroom), but the most likely place for water ingress are the protective boots around the bottom of the gear levers. If I remember yours looked O.K. but I would wrap something round them anyway, the action of a good pressure washer can create problems there.

Now for something quite bizarre and just goes to show that you are never too old to learn. A couple of years ago I was washing my 1594, bear in mind that I have an industrial Karcher pressure washer/steamer. I actually did damage to the gasket between the engine block and the chassis insomuch as an oil leak appeared on both sides of the engine the first time I worked the tractor afterwards. I have subsequently corrected the problem but I would never have guessed that it would happen, there isn't (or shouldn't be) any pressure in the engine block but the leaks appeared. I wonder if this is the cause of a lot of dirty DB engines.
ImageImage

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:41 am

Dano41 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:19 pm
Well finally shook hands on the deal tonight £1100.Will get her home some time this week and first thing I'll do is pressure wash her and see what may be hidden.Are there any parts apart from electrics which I could damage or let water in to the when I'm pressure washing.
Forgot to congratulate you on getting the tractor Dano. It's probably also a good time to mention the expense that you have incurred in asking for and getting all this advice ! That expense can be cancelled out by piccies, piccies, piccies. :D :D :D
ImageImage

Dano41

Post by Dano41 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:41 am

Thank you Scooby there will be plenty to of things to fix and plenty of pics because I'll need all the help I can get.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:02 am

Don't go blasting water into the alternator!