Hydraulic filter on fitting problem on 990

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

Wheelrim

Hydraulic filter on fitting problem on 990

Post by Wheelrim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:22 pm

This afternoon I have tried fitting a new filter to my selectamatic 990 that I’m steadily refurbishing.

I have a problem and I wonder if the filter I am fitting has not been manufactured correctly or someone may understand what I’ve encountered, having had a similar difficulty.

The filter ‘tube’ with o ring that should fit up into the bottom of the gearbox is about 4mm shorter than the filter I have removed.
The new filter can not be pushed up far enough to engage and fit the bottom of the oil suction pipe.

I have checked with the supplier and they confirm it meets their specification for sizes.

I have used controlled force and pushed the inner tube to extend it the required extra mm and now find it engages in correctly and by friction holds in position correctly. It now has the length required to install and be retained by friction fit into the gearbox oil suction pipe.

The old removed filter was an AC, the new one has been manufactured in Turkey. The tube length of the old filter was 23mm.

The magnetic ‘under’ filter fits correctly into the bottom of the new filter.

Any thoughts on this problem would be appreciated.

ollek

Re: Hydraulic filter on fitting problem on 990

Post by ollek » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:13 am

One more example of a dubious quality part. When the supplier says "meets their specification", it doesn't mean that the part meets the original specifications stipulated by the tractor manufacturer. This problem with the suction filter creeps up every now and then, telling me that there are faulty filters for sale. Contact Peter Williams for the correct part http://www.davidbrownparts.com/page109.html

jazo

Post by jazo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:11 am

Hi, I also have this problem with aftermarket filters. I replace the oring off the filter with a better fitting one from one of my kits, then they seam to work ok
1394 4wd
1294 4wd
30D
990x2
780x2

DB780

Post by DB780 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 am

I had this problem with a vapormatic filter a little while ago it was just poorly made and went back. I finished up with a Sparex one and it fitted perfectly.

Wheelrim

Post by Wheelrim » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:27 pm

Many thanks for your quick responses and the details you have sent.

I will put it down to experience and be happy that it is not a fault with my DB.

Regards

Trev

The Barn Owl

Post by The Barn Owl » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:16 am

Don't know if this helps, but here is a detailed video of a host changing hydraulic on DB 780...he hits a snag with new filter, but gets it situated.

https://youtu.be/SZGMsTEY9aI
"80 Horses That Won't Say No"...unlike my actual ones.