Cropmaster 30C brake job

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

cobbadog
Location: beautiful Coopernook NSW. near Taree. NSW. Australia

Cropmaster 30C brake job

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:09 am

I am doing the brakes and the oil seals at least on our Cropmaster. I have looked locally for a set of brake linings to suit and it would appear that the linings for a 770 880 etc are similar if not the same.

Is this correct?

With the linings on the first pair of brake shoes I have cleaned up I noticed that there is only a total of 4 rivets holding the lining to the shoe and that these rivets are about 3/4" (20mm) long.

Is this correct?

If what I have discovered then new linings are not a problem to source here in Oz. Both oils seals are also easily bought. I found on 3 of the pinion gear teeth have small chips on them but I don't think this will hurt a tractor that only does Rally circuits and an occasional trek.

cobbadog

Re: Cropmaster 30C brake job

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:11 am

Some pics
Attachments
DB shoes.jpg
DB shoes.jpg (90.67 KiB) Viewed 1861 times

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:13 am

Once I sort out the sizing on the pinion I will post a pic of it as well, sorry.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:20 am

Got it. It is not the best pic but it does show some small chips out of 3 teeth.
Attachments
DB pinion.jpg
DB pinion.jpg (126.13 KiB) Viewed 1860 times

db2d

Post by db2d » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 am

The minimum number of rivets is six. New linings will have eight rivet holes. Either leave two rivets out or drill two holes in the shoes, the shoes will have a minimum of six holes. Rivet holes have to be at right angles to the shoes. 770/880 lining sets complete with rivets will be suitable.
If the oil seal housings have a steel ring behind the oil seal, this can be discarded,and replaced with an extra seal and the cavity between the seals filled with grease.
Your tractor is a 30C Series One, not a Cropmaster.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 am

Great idea about the extra seal instead of replacing the metal holder. this should be an extra safe way to seal the oil off from the brakes.

I will now safely organise the brake linings and will drill the extra holes as required. After the initial clean up of the brake shoes I can not see any extra holes anywhere other than the 4 I have uncovered but there is an extra recess hole on one side so far for extra rivets but this does not men that more don't exist. It appears that the last time these linings were changed they were bonded at the same time and may be the reason for less rivets.

Cheers db2d for your advise and help.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:57 am

New brake linings are in the post and will be here very soon. Went to buy the new seals and my supplier was able to match up the same seals but only had enough in stock to do one side so more will be available next week. I have taken your advise and fitted two seals for the axle.
I drilled the burrs off the 4 existing rivets and punched out the rivets. Now I have to somehow break the bond of the glue as the last guys did rivet and bond the linings in place.

Any clues as to what will release the bonding agent?
I have one but it may be illegal, start a fire under them.

db2d

Post by db2d » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:35 pm

Try a thin chisel.

dbiow

Post by dbiow » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:49 pm

A lot of glues don’t like petrol, but some give off some nasty fumes as they melt so go easy!
885 q cab and 25d on the Isle of Wight.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:34 am

I will start with the thin chisel first to at least get the bulk of it off. New linings will arrive early next week but I was hopeful that they would arrive today before the weekend. This gives me time to have the shoes prepared for the linings and time to remove the brake drum so I can clean it up better and the inside of the housing as well. To do this I will have to make a couple of 5/16" BSF bolts to jack bolt it off the axle. Well I am guessing it is BSF, I will confirm this tomorrow.

Again thanks for the useful tips.

db2d

Post by db2d » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:58 am

The jacking bolts are half inch BSF by approximately four inches long.
If the seal behind the brake drum is not leaking I would not remove the drum just for cleaning purposes. If the brake drum is removed I recommend changing the oil seal. There is normally a half inch hole in the reduction housing under the brake drum that needs to be clear so that any oil can drain away.
There is a special DB service tool for removing and replacing the brake drum.

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:15 am

:lol: :roll:
Guess what I did today?
With the time difference and not looking at the computer in the mornings I went ahead and removed the drum today. I made longer 1/2" BSF jacking bolts this morning and went ahead. After finding exactly what you have described I have no intention of removing the other brake drum. It was a struggle for most of the way and required a bit of heat to get it to start moving. After finding the outer bearing that sounds and feels beautiful and the oil seal is still untouched they will stay in play and the brake drum can now go back on.
Something that I have noticed is the area on the axle where the seal runs is fairly rough so I am going to measure it up and find a set of sleeves to go over the rough section and make a nice new surface for the new seals.
Pictured are the puller and the jack bolts I made. They are rough but they worked a treat.
Attachments
DB home made pullers for the brakes repair.jpg
DB home made pullers for the brakes repair.jpg (118.07 KiB) Viewed 1706 times

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:02 am

Where did you find BSF allthread?

cobbadog

Post by cobbadog » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:04 am

Hi Lofty, I made them.
Recently I went mad and bought a small metal lathe and so I turned the rod down to size then with the BSF taps and dies I have bought I run the thread down with the 1 1/2" button die. Yep the hands new all about turning the die holder for that distance. Not until I get a lot more proficient will I make an attempt to machine the threads and of course I would need the 55' cutting tips and find a thread chasing dial that suits my lathe.

Since owning a few Pommy made engines and tractors I have had to locate spanners, sockets, taps and dies to suit. The taps and dies came from LPR Tools in Victoria. They have a huge selection of taps n dies. Spanners and sockets came from that auction site and mostly from India and so far these have been of more than fair quality.

My linings will arrive from Qld very soon and today I have found, right under my nose some 'speedi-sleeves' suitable for the main axle. Our local bearing services shop where my oil seals came from sells these as well. Had a choice of 1/2" or 3/4" in width for the 1 3/4" axle OD.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:37 am

Fairy nuff. Well done.