995 troubles

The place to discuss all matters relating to David Brown Tractors. You will need to register your user name before you can post. If you have already registered could you please make sure that your location details have been completed. Go to My Account in the Main Menu on the left, and then go into "Edit Your Information" and complete your location details. Give the Country (and State/Province if you wish) if outside the U.K. County if within the U.K. Location details helps other members if you need spares, technical advice, or the nearest practical help.

DISCLAIMER -

David Brown Tractor Club Ltd
Forum/website Disclaimer

1. This [forum/website/chat room] and the advice and opinions expressed herein is not a solution for mechanical, electrical, valuations, other problems, breakdowns or issues experienced in relation to the vehicles referenced.

2. If reliance is thought to be placed on any of the information guidance or input provided such information will be expressly confirmed as appropriate to be relied upon.

3. In the absence of any such confirmation no reliance should be suggested or inferred.

4. Members must not disclose information to 3rd parties in anticipation that reliance will be given by non-members.

5. Non-members must not purport to give advice on behalf of David Brown Tractor Club.

6. If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties or repeated breakdowns you must seek assistance for an appropriately qualified expert who holds themselves out as such.

7. Any comments are free of charge and made or posted on an ex gratia basis. No member or non-member may advertise their professional services

Any user inactive for more than 3 months will automatically be deactivated, please contact admin@dbtc.co.uk if you would like to be reactivated.

Please be aware that your user name and entered location can be seen by all members. We only store information you have entered which is your email address and username, your IP is also stored, we have no access to private passwords.

If you do not agree with your information being stored, please do not register an account, If you wish to unsubscribe at any time please email admin@dbtc.co.uk giving your username.

Amended 27/10/18

Moderators: Segrie61, admin

pointer

995 troubles

Post by pointer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi folks, found your forum while researching problems with my 995, thanks for letting me join!
Bought an old 995 last year, our first tractor, for mucking out and moving silage bales on our smallholding. We knew it needed some work. Was only firing only 3 cylinders when bought.
We've replaced head gasket, new starter motor and battery, added a thermostart and had injectors reconditioned.
Got it starting and running, but conked out again before long. Last time it was running, we noticed oil and diesel at the base of the exhaust on the manifold.
There is a permanent leak at the top bleeding screw on the injector pump, as the thread has gone.
Now we can't get it started at all. There is a little white smoke when we try (previously, when it started, there was lots of smoke first). There is fuel at the injectors. We have bled for air.

The oil level is too high - we added more because we were afraid the oil was getting diluted with diesel. Unfortunately we can't get off the sump drain nut - breaker bar is the next purchase!
I suspect the tractor had seen very little use in the years before we purchased it.
Myself and teenage son are working on it, but we are not expert mechanics at all so had help with the parts described above. Now we're at a bit at a loss as to what to try next - any suggestions, based on these symptoms?
thanks

DB780

Re: 995 troubles

Post by DB780 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:47 am

You can buy a new complete new bleed screw, the unit screws out the pump. Is the cold start screw on the injector pump screwed in? Did you look at the valve whilst the head was off? They may well be not seating properly.

pointer

Post by pointer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Hi, not sure I follow about the bleed screw, do you mean just get a replacement screw? How make / model specific would that need to be?
Re cold start screw, which position should it be in? - it seems to have little scope for turning, no more than 180 degrees each way.

ollek

Post by ollek » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:09 pm

For the bleed screw, ask your CAV agent or get a screw from a scrapped tractor. The bleed screw is the same in all Selectamatic tractors with CAV rotary pumps. The cold start screw has to be turned fully in, before any starting attempt is made. Then turn the screw fully out after the engine has started. Leaving the screw turned in will result in the engine spluttering and smoking and not getting up to full revs or power. I think you would benefit from a Operators Manual. When you purchase the manual, be sure to see that you get the correct manual. The manual for the straddle tractors and the Q-cabbed tractors are different.

rid54

Post by rid54 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:23 pm

When you have sorted out the bleeding at the pump, you may have to bleed the high-pressure lines as well. Have someone crank the engine and loosen the union nuts for the high-pressure lines at the injectors slightly, one by one. When fuel appears, tighten the nut. The engine may start, but that is not a problem, just keep the engine speed down and go through the procedure with all injectors. Use protective eyewear.

pointer

Post by pointer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 pm

OK, so for some reason it started first turn this evening, drove it about 400m from shed and back. While manoeuvring back into shed, engine cut out, water everywhere on engine and radiator. Take it that's the head gasket blown? And if so, any idea why?

rid54

Post by rid54 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:09 pm

In my opinion, do this:
Verify that there is a leak between a cylinder and the cooling system. This can be done in several ways, one of which is to listen in the radiator filler neck while engine is cranked, or by pushing compressed air into a cylinder that is in compression cycle (through the injector hole).

Lift the head and check the gasket.

While engine is apart, check head and valves for any problems.

Check the surfaces of cylinder head and engine block. If OK, fit new gasket and refit head. Be sure to tighten bolts to spec. If bolts have length specifications, be sure the old ones are OK or get new ones.

This is generic procedure advice. DB diesels may have additional details to take into account, like special sealings and such.

bedwards1966

Post by bedwards1966 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:43 pm

Before concluding that the head gasket has gone, remove the radiator cap with the engine cold and start the engine. If you then see bubbles in the coolant then it's indeed a head gasket problem.
It's not impossible for you to have another problem, such as a stuck thermostat (just because it is new doesn't mean it's OK) or a blocked radiator. When the tractor gets hot stop the engine and feel the radiator, it should be warm/hot and the temperature should be even across it, getting cooler lower down. Any cold spots indicate a blockage.

pointer

Post by pointer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm

The water mainly came from under the rocker cover, emerging around the rocker cover gasket and bolts. There is a bit of milkiness on the head.

There seems to be no milkiness in the oil or the coolant.

The thermostat is working.

The radiator had recently been filled, and the level is not appreciably lower. I think there probably is diesel in the oil.

I realise I've not taken up all the suggestions some of you have kindly made, but it's not so easy when working all day and coming home in darkness. I will get to them - in the meantime, all advice gratefully received.